TOEE + Cof8 issues, culminating in uninstallation crisis

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tiggrrr, Aug 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. tiggrrr

tiggrrr Member

Today, for the first time, I was booted out of TOEE in the party creation phase at the beginning. (I may have attempted to add one party member too many). This seemed harmless enough, but when I tried to reload the front-end I got error messages (013 and 014 from memory) similar to problem #11 in the Common Issues list. So, I followed the instructions to receive different error messages, something about the program trying to shrug off a major error.

So, I figured that it would probably be good enough to uninstall and reinstall the front-end. So I copied save game and character files to another place on the computer. If there were any fancy precautions I was supposed to take, I didn't...I just attempted to uninstall (using the program in the TOEE root directory) and then reinstall.

Well, that didn't work, so I figured that it should work to uninstall and reinstall TOEE. The uninstall worked OK (as far as I know) but the reinstall seems to have gone awry - the program is in a state of limbo where it doesn't work properly, patch programs don't recognise its existence, and the uninstall function offers the error message

(typed by hand, so may not be character perfect)

?SetupDLL\SetupDALL.cpp (439)
    pAPP:Temple of Elemental Evil
    PVENDOR: Atari
    PGUID:AD80F06B-OF21-$eee-934D-BEF0D21E6386
    $7.1.100.1248
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16512

This was followed by a message suggesting that I stop other running programs and citing error message -5001

So, how do I just scrap everything so that I can reinstall from scratch? Is there another problem which needs to be dealt with?

Kieran

2. tiggrrr

tiggrrr Member

Well, I backtracked, figured out a way to uninstall TOEE, and then followed Zebedee's comprehensive TOEE installation instructions, and at the point where I try to enter the Front End (prior to installing 5.0.4) I get beeped and the program closes with

0002: Error: One of the game folders can't be accessed! Make sure that no other application uses any of the game folders, then try again..

Any ideas?

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

For starters, please check if you're running any background antivirus software that may be resident in your memory and may lock access to files and folders when something is being executed. This is typical of antivirus guard software and of certain firewall software. If this is the case, try disabling this software (for the time you play the game) and running the game through the front-end. I'm afraid you may need to reinstall again because your installation might have been screwed up by the interference of some other software.

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
Our Host!