ToEE and Windows 7

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rex_blade, Oct 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

Hey guys (and girls?),

So I'm looking for some help to get ToEE with Co8 5.6 running again. The last so-called critical update (on Saturday) appeared to have changed DirectX (I think.) and now the game is effed up (it was seemingly working fine before this).

Specifically, what's happening is that when attempting to play Vanilla(patch 2 bo Co8 modifcations) the game will not start. With Co8 5.0.0 - 5.6.0 the game will start and I have access to the menus, I can create a party/characters and it will even load the Co8 pre-start shop.

HOWEVER, when I exit this map: crash. Try to load the tutorial: crash. Try to change the resolution in the options screen: crash.

It's very frustrating.

Is anyone else experiencing this unique problem? Since Co8 mods are clearly a factor (re: vanilla does not even start) do any of the coders working on that have any insight?

Before you ask:
    -I tried searching the forum first.
    -I did a clean install followed the instructions on this forum (ToEE>Patch1>Patch2>Co8)
    -I also did another scrub and clean install after I starting having this problem.
    -I'm running windows on a small partition and so Windows does not keep enough of the restore points. I cannot restore before the update was applied and would like to avoid reinstalling.
    -Sorry that seems snarky, just trying to expedite things (I'm a full-time college student that works 20+ hours/week, my time's at a premium these days.)

Here's my system specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
    Dual Boot running Windows 7 RC 7100
    Bootcamp v3
    Latest drivers

Finally: oi vey...

2. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Try manually setting your screen resolution in the cfg file before booting. That did it for me in Vista.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey, it's rex_blade from the old Co8 crew! Welcome back. :)

Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about Windows 7 so I can't comment intelligently on any problems with it and ToEE. However, you mention that when you try to load the tutorial the game crashes. In Co8 5.5 and upwards, the tutorial is not available. If it's appearing in your main menu, you must have a bad install. Did you allow the module to fully activate in TFE-X (the front end)? A popup box will appear when it's done, and it can take a long time. If you didn't see a popup box, the module wasn't fully activated, and that could account for unexplained crashes because you'd have a strange hybrid of vanilla ToEE and the Co8 mod running that is most likely very unstable. It could also explain why the tutorial is there.

4. Templar

Templar Established Member

I hope it works out for you, I'm having a problem myself.
    I installed MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK VERSION 2.0

I typed in 64 bit and got one that it supposed to support it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displayLang=en

However, afterwards I opened my Temple of Elemental Evil mod pack and "select all' files and 'extract to' designated folder I get this error message from WINRaR dianogstics.

Cannot create, next to each file it tried I guess to do. Also Access is Denied, under each file.

UPDATE:
    figured it out. It let me put it into another directory and from there I moved it into my ToEE directory.

*sigh* now I'm having the lockup bug. As soon as I get to the menu in the game the game freezes within 5 seconds. I'll look this one up, it happened before and I fixed it somehow.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. rex_blade

Hey guys, thanks for the tips and the welcome wishes :)

I tried altering the .cfg file. It changes the resolution, but now the game is crashing before the main menu when the progress bar reads "initializing sector data" I changed the .cfg file back but no dice.

I just learned about an emulator for Mac called Game Crossover and there's a tutorial online specifically for ToEE. I think I'm going to give that a shot and see if I can just ditch Windows all together (Installed it specifically for games).

6. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

If you are having crash problem at start and you set custom resolution, then keep in mind that ToEE only supports resolutions up to 1680x1050. At least 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 are unsupported and 1440x900 and 1680x1050 cause minor problems (source), but I haven't had any problems with 1680x1050 that I could tell.

7. Thorsson

Good point. I'm using 1680x1050 (16:10). 16:9 might be an issue.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I never had problems with 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050. The problems they speak of are related to map limits in ToEE - if the map limits (the amount you can pan left, right, up, and down) are less than your screen dimensions, the display will appear to shake. We've fixed most of these where they exist in ToEE to accomodate up to 1680 x 1050.

9. Templar

Templar Established Member

I can't remember the commands to type in to the cfg file.

What do I write in to change resolution?

10. Thorsson

Look at the widescreen thread?

11. Ubermouser

Ubermouser Member

I'm experiencing this problem as well under Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition - however, I don't see a "tutorial" option in the main menu, nor do I have any difficulties changing the resolution inside the .cfg file. I've tried running at both 1900x1200 and 1024x768 screen resolutions, but to no avail. I'm currently running TOEE under "windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility mode" along with administrator privileges.

system specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel q6600
    NVIDIA 8800GT
    4gb ddr2

12. rex_blade

This is the last I'm going to chime in on the Windows 7 bit as I've got no intention of wasting any more time on it.

The problem wasn't the screen res. I had the game running at 1280 x 1024 just fine before I updated some windows "critical update" then kaput. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it did something to Direct X but I've got no intention of scewing with it.

Also incase anyone is curious, I've created a thread regarding my experience running ToEE in OSX Snow Leopard with Crossover Games.

Our Host!