Temple of Elemental Evil now available on gog.com

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DarkStorm, Oct 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Cool. I wonder what the patch level is ...

We'll have to investigate compatability with our mods.

And why weren't we notified?!? ;)

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, I actually just bought it from GOG.com (heh, can never get enough of buying ToEEs - I already own two copies on CDs :D :D ). Will download now and investigate what it actually is. ;)

Yay for GOG.com, I LOVE them! They already released Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale too (my other fave RPGs), and now ToEE - and they had Arcanum and Fallout for a while too - so yeah, the classic RPG lines are very strong on GOG! :)

- Agetian

4. DarkStorm

I also purchased it and I am downloading it right now. From their forums I gathered they just threw in the cracked exe to get around the CD check :p

Regards,
    Storm

5. Agetian

Haha LOL that sounds cool :D I just love cases where you can throw in a cracked EXE kinda "legally" :D :D

6. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

This is good news, unless it's not compatible with the modpacks. Then it sucks. I suppose the game has some merits unmodded. I haven't played vanilla in so long that I might not know to anymore.

7. Visceral

Visceral Member

Welp, any news on if it works with the GoG version? I'd like to recommend it but can't do that until we know it works correctly..

And is the .exe provided the 33kb on the mod needs to work?

8. Agetian

OK I installed GoG ToEE - by the look of things it's patched to patch 2 (but I may still be wrong, I only took a superficial look 'cause I'm kind of busy atm), ToEE.exe is not the same 33kb one as we used for the no-CD (would have been very funny if they used *cough* that one *cough*), but it's similar in functionality. :D It doesn't have any extra tools, such as WorldEd and whatnot - seems Atari is still quite persistent in not allowing anyone to release the tools... :( But otherwise it seems like a valid, legit patch 2 installation that should work with the Co8 mods. I'll try installing the Co8 mod soon and will report back on how it went.

- Agetian

9. DarkStorm

Here are my findings:
    The gog.com installer just extracts the files to a folder of your choosing. temple.dll and ToEE4.dat are among the extracted files, so it definetly is a patched version.

MD5 checksums of the relevant data files:
    4fb97f13df42f18966a455d24198cf11 *ToEE1.dat
    5dc94617180184e2d30ad6d21cfcec68 *Toee2.dat
    8bbdee0a2e0a632b41c4a9900fbaeeeb *ToEE3.dat
    040c92949ddcae36301a932df8636037 *ToEE4.dat
    6a6943690c31a1b76a9a86b387ceb5df *modules\ToEE.dat

These match the MD5 sums of the files in my installation directory (Patch 2, en-us), which is a very good thing.

There are some files in the data directory I don't remember being there:
    Code:
    mes\bonus.mes
    mes\combat.mes
    mes\feat.mes
    mes\help.tab
    mes\item_creation.mes
    mes\spell.mes
    rules\item_creation.mes
    rules\partsys1.tab
    rules\spells
    rules\spell_enum.mes
    rules\spells\051 - Chain Lightning.txt
    rules\spells\223 - Heat Metal.txt
    rules\spells\288 - Magic Missile.txt
    rules\spells\547 - Rage.txt
    rules\spells\558 - Greater Heroism.txt
    rules\spells\733 - Scorching Ray.txt
    scr\Spell558 - Greater Heroism.py
    scr\Spell733 - Scorching Ray.py
    I don't know if this is a sign of it being Patch 3 or Patch 2.

The MD5 checksum of the temple.dll doesn't match any of the DLLs I have lying around: 67758f8d4841f9590d5ade9369d3c8e1.

GoG's ToEE.exe is a crack from GameCopyWorld. It has the same MD5 sum as the file I have.

Regards,
    Storm

10. Agetian

@ DarkStorm: Hmm then I must have used a different no-CD on mine, cause it doesn't match my version of the no-CD executable. Well, anyway, it's kinda funny they used a GCW crack...

Not sure about those files you mentioned.

11. Gaear

lol, uh ... some of those files look like our files. Scorching Ray is a Co8 spell, for example.

You might check to see if there are any custom-looking maps in Modules/ToEE/maps (Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, et al).

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

WTF?! OMG, copyright infringement! You guys have all of your modded material copyrighted, right? How dare they take something from the modders and just play it off as their own! Especially after all they work they did making it into a working game! :poke:

13. DarkStorm

Are you really sure about that? I thought Scorching Ray was vanilla, but I could be wrong here ;-)
    (Is it possible, that it was included in Patch3?)

There's just the ToEE.dat file in modules, it definetly doesn't include Co8.

Regards,
    Storm

14. DarkStorm

They've used the v3 Crack that's present on GCW, not the v2 one. But technically there should be no different. You know how unbelievably easy it was to circumvent. Interestingly enough, since GoG released it without any copy protection, there's nothing left to "circumvent" ;-)

Regards,
    Storm

15. Gaear

It could be that the code for Scorching Ray existed in vanilla but was just enabled somehow by Co8, but it was definitely not implemented in vanilla.

Some of the other files - feat.mes, help.tab, etc. - are files that we've modded and appear in the data folder as an override accordingly, but they may be attributable to patching as well. You'd probably have to file compare them to be sure.

I don't think Atari 3 had anything beyond the looting fix.

Our Host!