Temple of Elemental Evil is my (our) party Epic or Epic Fail?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Failedlegend, Feb 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

First I gotta thank the C08 creators not that I've found this I'm so happy to play this game with the various game breaking bugs removed...anyways I'm posting this in hopes of a little assistance in improving our party line-up (doesn't need to be perfect we just want to not be useless) but first a little background were gonna be playing TOEE in a slightly odd way with each party member being played by a different person and any discussion while in-game done by the party face will be acted out like a normal PnP game and combat each "player" makes their own combat action. This has so far worked quite well in IWD1/2 and we hope it continues in TOEE.

Anyways that aside here's the party...thanks to the CO8 mod I was able to increase the party size to 8 so I can allow the players who have recently joined our PnP group to participate as well.

Oh and main questions are what should the druid name herself (we have a few ideas she wanted to see what you guys say), whats the best level spread/order for the Bard/Rogue he wants to be the face/trapsmith/buffer/stabby from behind guy and lastly will the halfing monk do less fist damage because he's small aside from those three were also open to any suggestions you may have.

1 Lawful Good Male Human Fighter - Gabriel Fireheart
    | -Weapon: Glaive
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Fighter 1: Power Attack/[Cleave]/Toughness
    | -Fighter 2: [Combat Expertise]
    | -Fighter 3: Weapon Focus (Glaive)
    | -Fighter 4: [Weapon Specialization (Glaive)]
    | -Fighter 6: Mobility/[Dodge]
    | -Fighter 8: [Improved Critical (Glaive)]
    | -Fighter 9: Spring Attack
    | -Fighter 10: [Whirlwind Attack]

Gabriel is basically as close to being a paladin as you can get w/o actually being a Paladin and in these types of games Paladins seem to be forced to be lawful stupid with things such as turning down rewards and becoming fallen stupidly easy so we avoid it so for all intensive purposes of roleplaying he's a Paladin although the extra feats don't hurt.

2 Chaotic Good Male Half-Orc Barbarian - Baer
    | -Weapon: Spiked Chain
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Barbarian 1: Spiked Chain Prof
    | -Barbarian 3: Power Attack
    | -Barbarian 6: Cleave
    | -Barbarian 9: Great Cleave

Baer is a Half-Orc who believes his other half is actually Bear and in PnP games I tend to grant him the ability to talk to bears...he's a fairly simple character but he does well roleplaying it oh and spaking of that were pretty sure theres a little dwarf blood running through him as well based on the players portrayal :p

3 Lawful Good Female Half-Elf Cleric - Keirla
    | -Weapon: Heavy Mace+Shield
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Cleric 1: Scribe Scroll
    | -Cleric 3: Brew Potion
    | -Cleric 6: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
    | -Cleric 9: Craft Wondrous Item

One of the two girls in our group and she loves playing "leader" type characters (her fav 4e class is Ardent which is more or less the psionic version of cleric) shes admittedly one of our weaker roleplayers but she's improving quite rapidly...shes very open to suggestion on her build as long as she's a healer

4 Lawful Good Male Halfling Monk - Troi Lightfoot
    | -Weapon: Fists
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Monk 1: [Stunning Fist]/Dodge
    | -Monk 2: [Combat Reflexes]
    | -Monk 3: Improved Initiative
    | -Monk 6: [Improved Trip]/Mobility
    | -Monk 9: Spring Attack

The player controlling Troi is one of our newest members and neither him nor I really know his preferred play style so It's possible I may be removing this character later and using console commands to catch him up to the rest of party but for now he just wants to play a monk who punches things so is quite open to suggestion

5 Chaotic Good Male Human Rogue/Bard - Santhist
    | -Weapon: Dual Bastard Swords
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -1: B-Sword Prof/TWF
    | -3: Power Attack
    | -6: Cleave
    | -9: Great Cleave

Ah Santhist...he always has the same name and play either a Bow User or a TWF and 99% of the time is an elf only reason he's not here is the extra feat was needed. On the other hand the player of santhist is scary good at roleplaying and despite always having a similar frame his characters are vastly different.

6 Neutral Good Female Human Druid - Sylvanna Oakheart
    | -Weapon: Q-Staff or Sling
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Druid 1: SF: Conj/Augment Summoning
    | -Druid 3: Natural Spell
    | -Druid 6: Craft W-Item
    | -Druid 9: Craft A/A

The second female to join our little group and just as new as troi's player she is currently playing a psychotic sorceror in our PnP game so wants to play a nicer character here and liked the idea of a summoner type character as well so we figured druid would work best since its still a spellcaster, has different spells (divine as opposed to arcane) and tends to lean towards the side of nice IMHO

7 Chaotic Good Male Dwarven Wizard - Garr Magehammer
    | -Weapon: Light Crossbow
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Wizard 1: Spell Penetration
    | -Wizard 3: Empower Spell
    | -Wizard 5: [Craft Magic Arms and Armor]
    | -Wizard 6: Craft Wondrous Item
    | -Wizard 9: Craft Wand
    | -Wizard 10: [Craft Rod]

This is me since I don't actually get to DM TOEE, not much to say here really I like dwarfs, heard crafting was really good and like wizards...thus this character

8 Neutral Good Female Elven Sorc - Mel Stormshroud
    | -Weapon: Longbow
    |
    | -Feats:
    | -Sorceress 1: Spell Penetration
    | -Sorceress 3: Spell Focus (Evocation)
    | -Sorceress 6: Greater Spell Penetration
    | -Sorceress 9: Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)

Also not much to say about this one either player wanted to be female and make things go boom.

So any suggestions? Party Alignment will be Neutral Good btw

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you're set on a polearm fighter, I might recommend ranseur vice glaive for no obvious non-spoilerish reason.

3. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Not really set on it..just heard reach weapons were king in TOEE but sure I'll switch to ranseur.

Main questions really is the bard/rogues level spread because we can't start without knowing it

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Can't really help you there, sorry. I use an elven Rogue/Fighter for my face. BTW, you seem to only be looking up to 10th level. Is there a reason you're not disabling the level cap?

5. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Oh I have but How far would an average TOEE w/ Co8 New Content get most parties of 8?

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I know I can get 6 to level 20 with XP to spare, even with heavy crafting. I'm sure someone has done the math for 8, but it's definitely well beyond 10.

7. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Is there continued abilities past Lvl 10?

Like I know theres new spells but do rogues keep getting SA, do barbs get more rage, do monks continue to get better fists/run faster,etc., etc.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Not sure what you mean by the spread but I am guessing you mean how many levels in each, think you can probly get away with a easy 5/5 or any variable, I might suggest putting your first level as rougue for the extra skill points w/ the 4x multiplier at first level also make sure you get him your bard instrument at first level even if you start rouge as they hard to come by early on.
    You might want to check also to make sure his rouge/bard levels will give him the Base attack he needs for things like great cleave at the time you want them..other classes Base Attack go up slower then Fighter types and if I remmber correctly there may be minimums required for those.
    I like all your builds espically for PnP you may find your halfling monk a little bit at a disadvantage in this CRPG due to his small size and may want to look a "larger race", but I don't think theres any race/class combo in this game that is undoable some just may be more difficult.

9. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Yeah I meant the level order...equal split was the plan just wanted to see if anyone had a specific build but now that Daryk mentioned I'll likely hit 20 I could probably end up as a 10 Bard/10Rogue so its like having 2 characters :p

As for the BAB I'm looking into that.

Also to clarify whilst most of these character lore-wise are derived from characters created for our PnP games feats, classes, races etc. have all been altered due to the TOEE only having a limited amount of those. These are just the closest representations.

10. shapecharge

Yep understood the PnP to CRPG conversion, unfortunatley in my opion the game engine/mechanics seriously hampers the "little guys" ie. Gnomes and Halflings; when it comes to the martial classes ie. fighters/rangers/paldins and monks. So I tend to have any little people in TOEE when I make them which is rare stick to the spellcasters and sneaky types.

11. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Hmmm so I'll make the monk a dwarf and the wizard a gnome (because gnomes are jus tiny dwarfs in 3.5 for some reason) than pretend its the other way around :p

Note: The Vertically challenged races are my fav for some reason...Gnomes, Halflings (or Kender), Goblins, Dwarves, Kobolds, etc. I love em

Side Question is there any good guides on crafting with enchant lists and pre-reqs...mainly curious about domain choices and which crafting feats to take

12. shapecharge

Actually yes there is a excellent guide put out by the Royal Canadian I believe is the author..I don't know how to do the hyperlink thing, but if you look right above where were typing now at the pernament stickys its up there under "Item cost and crafting requirements" or some similar title.

13. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Yeah I saw that and I hate to ask this but whats an XLS file? I don't have a program to open it

14. shapecharge

I think its just an excell spread sheet..let me try to open it now and let you know

15. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Ah ok I'll just download open office than (similar to microsoft office except the creators give it away for free)

Our Host!