Tales of the Wild Coast Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jul 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

See this news post for more info:

Tales of the Wild Coast

Once you've read that - and only if you've read that - feel free to ask questions and discuss here.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Life is good. I thought is was very irritating to end the game after Zuggtmoy gets beaten like a drum. Now, after we dance all over her, we can go stop the invading Tarrasque that has woken up after a century and is rampaging through the countryside. :poke:

3. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Wonderful! The adventure continues. Will the level cap remain at 20 or will it go higher?

4. Gaear

The custom level cap will remain at 20. It can't go higher.

5. Zagig

Zagig Member

What??!! No epic levels! I'm so disappointed. LOL

Seriously, this sounds awesome!!! It's almost like a whole other adventure added on after you finish the Temple. Sucks that we have to wait for it (I'd bet it won't be out until next year) but I'm willing to wait. You guys totally rock!!!
    Talk about value for your money. Little did Atari know when they released a screwed-up game that it would have this kind of replayability. Maybe we shouldn't tell them, they might start to think that all their games should be like this.

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Wow!

Just when I had dreams of suggesting you split "bugfixes" and "mods" you have proposed this yourself!

No, really, after I found Jayfe dialog in 5.5.0 to be bugged (just two days ago) I felt such a great desire to tell the Circle to split bugfixes and new content, that only through a great effort did I manage to restrain myself. (Well, you are great modders, who am I to tell you how to do mods?)

How delightful it is to see that my thoughts were not completely wrong...

(And I must add that such "splitting" is dictated by a simple fact from "Technology of programming" - new features = new bugs. Thus, if new features are added to old content, new bugs are added to it too. Inevitably.)

All right, casting silence on myself.

I await these "Tales" with great anticipation (because other works of Co8 are so good).

7. Gaear

You guys should note a clear distinction here: what TotWC/6.0.0 will separate is new content from vanilla content in terms of areas, plots, quests, etc. It won't remove all our other modifications from over the years, bugfix and otherwise.

If you want a purely bugfix-only mod, you should still go with Sitra's mod or Co8 3.0.4.

8. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Well, I meant that kind of separation, when bugfixes and mods are not internally tied very much (for example "fixed" NPC is NOT used in an (over)complicated new plot, which eventually makes bugs instead of fixes (and those bugs are removed later).

That is something to do with early stages of programming (since modding ToEE is essentially programming on ToEE language (apart from creation graphics, designing plots and other important things)), when there were no structures and classes and things were bad when it came to big programs. (Do not listen to me, I just like reading wrong books in the evening.)

But since you are, let us say, modder(s) with big experience, you know this all better than me. Seriously.

And I did not mean to write that I want all Co8 mods removed, no, they truly deserve being there, they are fun. Even more, wthout them ToEE would not be fun. Almost.

9. shadow5

shadow5 Member

The future plans are so awesome-can't wait.After finishing off Zug,I've used the elemental gems to escape before killing all her minions,preventing the end movies but it's ahollow victory as the only thing you can do is basically random encounters and you don't get the glory and adulation from the npc's your party deserves.Ihave no computer or technical skills to help in your works so allow me to simply and sincerely serve as one of your cheerleaders.Huzzah to you all and Godspeed.:hug:

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hell, if all of this gets done, I'd nominate it for GOTY of 2012! =)))) (hopefully earlier lol).

Too bad on the "no epic levels" though.

I'd also love to see the "Hommlet castle" high-level mod incorporated, if it gets done =)

11. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

After a discussion with Gaear, we felt it was best for the castle not to be in 6.0.0. It would not make sense for the party to be lords/warlords of Hommlet and running around for Verbonoc's sake.

12. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

I'm thrilled by the new content I see, but I must say I prefer the idea of a seamless melding of the co8 and original TOEE stuff. I especially think the side quests before or while you are clearing the temple gives it a much more non linear feel. But what do I know?

13. oudeis

oudeis Member

Au Contraire, Mon Frere!

I'm sure this was brought up in your discussion, but it would be perfectly in keeping with the hierarchical nature of a Medieval/feudal society: the party would be the vassals or allies of the ruler of Verbobonc, responsible for keeping order in their fief and enforcing the will of their liege-lord. If memory serves, knights were expected to build a stronghold of some kind to contribute to the defense of the realm.

I've read and re-read the post about the Wild Coast and I have a few questions:

• First off, DAMN YOU Co8 FOR MAKING ME WAIT ANOTHER 9 MONTHS FOR THIS!!!! :angry: :chainsaw: (Just kidding). As someone who has yet to finish the game even once I hate having to wait to play the game all the way through the way with all the awesomeness in place. Ah, well. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I have to say, though, you guys are sure making it hard to finish this game. :poke:
    • I hope I'm not being dense, but I'm really not certain which stuff is yours and which is vanilla ToEE. I don't know which stuff is going to be moved to the endgame, even after reading the TotWC post. Could you give a break down as to what is going to be where? I still haven't found the
      Hommlet vampire
      and I never installed anything other than the core Co8 content, so I wouldn't object to a liberal use of spoiler tags as necessary.
    • I've never gotten past the second level of the Temple, but I understand that the climactic encounter with Z is pretty, well, climactic. Are you worried that the additional content will be anticlimactic? Is there a similar epic battle at the end of the expansion?
    • Is Nulb going to be expanded? It's pretty sparsely populated in comparison to Hommlet, as I'm sure others have commented. In the alternative, do you have any plans to create an additional hub area for bad guys? It would nice to have an evil city to adventure through, a Gotham to Verbobonc's Metropolis, especially as a good character (Evil characters always seem to have the best gear. Really, they're better than a shop :cool: ).

Anyway, I'm tremendously excited about this announcement and really have to reiterate my awe at the work Co8 and its playtesters have done. How is it you haven't been scooped up by a developer? Ah, well; the universe may run on deterministic rules but there is absolutely no making sense of the ways of men.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  14. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Damn!!!

I hate ya all guys for put this thread in the forum WITHOUT a prevision of release!!! Ill have nightmares about this!!!

15. Gaear

The problem's not with with knights or good parties, but with evil parties. In Ranth's mod, they take over Hommlet by force. Thus, they'd be enemies of Verbobonc, and if anything, Verbobonc would try to suppress them. They wouldn't enlist them to be their agents for the other TotWC adventures.

TotWC will include the Moathouse Respawn, Hickory Branch 2.0, Verbobonc 2.0, the Arena of Heroes, the Orc Cave mod, and some other new stuff. Welkwood bog will be available at the start of the game. The revenge encounter and Moathouse ambush will remain where they are. There is no Hommlet vampire.

TotWC will probably be less linear than vanilla ToEE, but there will be an epic battle or two.

Verbobonc, while not an 'evil' city, is actually pretty neutral in practicality, like any sizeable town. So it should be suitable for both goods and evils alike. There may be a few villagers added to Nulb, but not much more than that atm.

Nope, can't prevision the release.

Our Host!