Strange Goings-On in the Orc/Ogre Cave Lair

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Nov 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just did the orc cave prespawn battle this evening, and I see there's still a lot of strangeness there. For example:

1. The orcs in the rear (left side) rank still don't join the battle with those in the front (right side) rank. They just stand around until you come to get them.

2. The orc shaman doesn't cast any spells.

3. The requisite orc rush-past-frontline-fighters-to-get-to-spellcasters tactic results in hits/kills on spellcasters even if they have cast mirror image.

4. The orcs most always break free from webs. This is most likely due to their insanely high stength from raging. Nearly every one of them are raging. Does anyone else think that's a little over the top?

5. I charmed a raging orc. After the battle his rage subsided. I attacked him. He still had a stength bonus of +11 (!). By comparison, my 17 stength fighter has a strength bonus of +3.

I'm no rules guru, but these figures for raging seem unbelieveable to me. Are they really accurate? I'd think the only creatures with that kind of strength would be large animals such as bears, etc., not oversized humanoids . . . but meh, what do I know. :shrug:

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well, Barbarian Rage gives the character
    a STR and CON bonus +4 so it means that
    it gives a +2 to their attacks and +2 or +5
    to damage they do (when they use two-handed
    weapons). That would mean their generic strength
    has a bonus of +9 which gives about 30 points of
    strength.

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/orc.htm

Orc, 1st-Level Warrior
    Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Orc)
    Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 13 (+3 studded leather armor), touch 10, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
    Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: —
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 6
    Skills: Listen +1, Spot +1
    Feats: Alertness
    Environment: Temperate hills
    Organization: Gang (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader
    of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 150% noncombatants plus
    1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and
    3 7th-level captains)
    Challenge Rating: ½
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Often chaotic evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +0
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, the Orcs shouldn't have a STR much past 20 even if they're exceptional, 24 when raging. It also makes little sense for the archers to rage, yet they do.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I blogged about the ridiculous rage earlier: but I wasn't taking into account these guys r maxing out Power Attack too, so that would add a chunk to damage.

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Gaear - the thing about the left handside of the cave could be to do with how you enter. With a party of eight, you'll notice that the chances are that the archers will pepper your spell casters.

True about the shaman though.

And the pathing is horrid on that map.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Unfortunately, I went in there with an 8 man crew this time. Still no-go. I think it's actually just a matter of those guys being too far off, although 'too far' is usually not all that far when it comes to ToEE. I've seen this same effect now getting into Hickory Branch a bit. Plus, I seem to recall that there's always been an issue with random enemies not caring to get involved in battle from time to time.

Is there anything in particular about a map or encounter design that could cause the wacky mirror image thing, or might that just be attributable to the raging power of the orcs, or just random weirdness on the part of ToEE? Or just random weirdness visited upon my head alone?

I swear there are things that go on with this engine from time to time that not even the devs could explain. It's as though the engine is somehow sentient . . . sort of a 'ghost in the machine' type of thing. ;)

[edit]

I don't see anything about raging in there. Are orcs even supposed to rage, or is this some custom modification we've done? If it is, I'd opt to play the standard Co8 'no house rules' card.

I guess I understand the desire to mod challenging encounters. And I'm certainly no D&D rules guru with tons of experience. But from the impression I've always had about orcs, they just weren't quite that bad-ass. More like goblins, hobgoblins, and kobolds - sort of a cannon-fodder type enemy. :shrug: In that light, it's frustrating to get your ass whupped by them.

If they are supposed to be that way and I'm coming from left field here with my questions, my apologies.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  7. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Well, the Orc's favored class is Barbarian, so I guess it's assumed that they have a Barbarian Rage...

8. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Unless the Orcs have Barbarian Class levels, they shouldn't be raging.

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Ruf scaled the encounter based on level. I believe parties above 3rd level fight much tougher orcs than those at 1st-3rd. I gave Ruf some advice on rules-compliance of the orcs, but he chose how to implement them (how many and of what classes and levels as well as AI strategies).

I believe all of the orc archers are 1st level warriors, as per the MM, though they may be Fighters instead. The rest have class levels in barbarian, fighter, rogue, or cleric, respectively and some are multiclasses of those. All the orcs that rage have levels in Barbarian.

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sacrifice more chickens :nod:

I spoke to Ruf shortly after he'd released the mod. He said that the orcs on the left of the cave were deliberately that far away. The archers are meant to shoot at spell casters and he wanted a couple of bodyguards for them.

Maybe if the archers don't trigger to stop spellcasting, they don't do nuffin?

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've set characters (like Saduj) to 'ready vs spellcasters'. If they don't get a spell-caster to shoot at in their round that they ready, they do indeed lose that round, but next round they tend to loose at an alternate target. So no, they shouldn't just stand there indefinitely.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I like Chaotic Evil Rangers. :yes:

13. Doc

Doc Member

Hi!

I have problem with the orc shaman. When i attack the orc's, the shaman hit my priest, and the damage is 37 without critical. I check the d20, and the damage detail, and the orc shaman has +27 str modifier. This is circa 60 str ability.
    What is this, and why?

thx

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

15. berzerker

berzerker Random Passerby

I realize this is an old thread; but the Buff orks got some love lately so...

I just wanted to point out:
    By way of comparison;

a level 3 Barbarian with 18 STR using a 2H Greataxe and 3 points of power attack is:

ToHIT: ( +3 +4 -3) +4 / Damage: (1 to 12) + 6 + 6 ... or average 18.5 /max 24

using Rage (22 STR) its +6 to hit / Dmg: (1 to 12) + 9 + 6 .. or average 21.5/max 27

and thats non-critical hits.
    I realize the damage breakdown in one of these posts was coming out much differently but the total damage was the comparison I was making.

I had noticed that everything seemed to be raging and thought that was just how Co8 liked it.

Our Host!