Staff of Life???

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shani, Jan 2, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shani

Shani Member

So Did I get ripped off on my purchase? How in the heck do ya get it to work, I have a sorc pretty high in use magic items, what do I do to activate it?? PLEASE HELPPPPP!

Shani

2. CJintheUK

CJintheUK Member

You have to equip it like a weapon

3. Monation

Monation Member

I know this is incredible thread necromancy and this is only my second post but I'm having a problem activating staffs. I have a Staff of Fire and a Staff of Frost, I can't get either to work in any way, I've tried using them as weapons, looking everywhere on the radial menu while they are equipped, dragging them to the "use item" button on the inventory... even sleeping with the item equipped to see if it was a 'wait and see' problem. I have about 12 ranks in Use Magic Device (I'm a fighter/rogue, that might be a problem but I'm not sure). Can someone help me out?

4. RICK-DOG

RICK-DOG Member

I think the difficulty check for using a staff is quite high, that might be the problem. If you have a wizard or sorcerer in the party, give to them. They shouldn't have a problem.

I just checked the PHB and from what I saw, you can't activate a staff with the use magic device skill.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

First of all:
    staffs and wands could only be used if you have the corresponding spell on your list; this means a Sorcerer never could use a Staff of Life, because the "healing" spells and all that kind never will be in their list, unless you multiclass with Cleric or druid (or Bard, for the lesser healings), maybe the problem is that the game only recognizes the rogue skill of using magical devices, and also the dc for using them is very high...i don't remember if the level affect them too (if you have enough level to cast firebal, etc)

...and remember, they have charges so their use is limited, maybe if there's no way to usem this could mean that there's no charges left...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  6. Monation

Monation Member

Hmm well thanks both of you that explained a lot ;)
    Now I'm going to go and start multi-classing again =P

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Only a cleric has full use of the staff.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've always found it to be something of a useless item - I'm sure it has got its uses but they don't seem to be frequent enough to justify the cost.

9. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I ususally buy it and give it to my cleric, it has 50 charges of heal/raise dead... it works great fighting in the fourth level of the temple having the cleric behind 2- 3 fighters healing them as they take damage in some of the larger battles... it is also craftable so you can make it a +3 whatever and use it for hand to hand.. to cast use it from your radial menu.

description from Protos.tab
    Staff of life is a magic staff that allows the wielder to cast Heal and Raise Dead. It is charged.Masterwork Weapon To Hit Bonus: +1 Damage: 1d6 Damage Type: bludgeoning Critical Range: 20/x2 Weapon proficiency: Simple, Quarterstaff

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I hadn't considered the crafting but then my cleric is usually short and stumpy and carries a big axe. So a quarterstaff isn't much use.

Otherwise, if you need the healing power make potions so everyone can sort themselves out and free up your cleric for a more offensive spell casting role.

I guess for a different type of cleric and a different type of player it would be of some/more use.

11. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

True but the Staff is not a touch based item, and if you are in the middle of a fight and you take the chance to drink a potion, everyone around you gets a whack at you... I have found this very useful when fighting any of the gods....

12. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The one Mother Screng sells is way to expensive and if you have that kind of gp to spare, then the cleric probably has good healing spells. I prefer flamestrike and divinepower. You can buy and do a lot of things for the price.

13. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

It is useful, indeed, but not too much...the craftable option like Ax-T said is great (just because i like the cleric looking like an armored wizard :))...but you got to remember that in the "clean" original ToEE, it was one (if not the only) of few staves availables in the game that you don't had to craft and that's when it comes handy...
    and the "design" it's pretty cool too (it is posible to change the mesh of the staff of fire to resemble the same design, but red, and it looks waaay better)

Our Host!