Spell Bonuses.....(another bug)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ayce, Apr 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ayce

Ayce Member

Being new here, I may have missed this post before, but does anyone NOT get bonus spells when they put on buff items that enhance intelligence, wisdom or charisma?

My mage has a headband of intellect +6, she gets bonuses on skill checks (at least that what her character sheet says and I can confirm her appraise checks are affected appropriately). However, she doesn't get the bonus spells due to higher intellegence, nor does her skill point modifier go up (I believe this problem is caused by the mods, I seem to remember I got the appropirate skill points in an unmodified game with patch 1 & 2)

I am currently playing with the recommended mod pack; official patch 2, Co8 3.04 and moebius2778 patch.

Help????

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

No that simply does not happen. It can't be fixed. That's just the way it is.

- Livonya

3. Ashenai

Ashenai Member

The fact that you don't get extra skill points is not a bug. It is exactly how a Headband of Intellect should work in 3.5 D&D. Magic items that grant Intelligence do not, and should not, grant extra skill points. They should (and apparently do) grant bonuses on skill checks.

It should, however, also grant the bonus spells. If it doesn't, that's a bug.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

This may be over-sight on Troika's part, but I don't think it is an actual bug.

They simple didn't make it work that way. You could call it house rules. And you might not like the way they did it, but it isn't a true bug as I don't think they ever intended it to grant bonus spells.

In any event it can't be changed. Not with scripting, and I suspect the only way to change it would be to truely re-write the engine code itself which is a long way off from happening at this point in time.

- Livonya

5. Ashenai

Ashenai Member

Heh, fair enough. We have different definitions of the word, I guess.

In the future, I'll call stuff like this "not true to D&D rules", or something similar.

There are people who can decompile exe files, and--with enough patience--basically find, and even rewrite, any part of the code. I've seen this done with another game (ADOM). It'd be nice if we had someone willing and able to do this for ToEE.

Ah well. In any case, you're doing an awesome job with the tools you have. I found some of your solutions extremely creative (the "break free potion", for instance, was pretty awesome).

Our Host!