Spears

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Salk, Jan 25, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Salk

Salk Established Member

Hello!

I am in the shop map considering different purchases. The longspear reports having range 0 while the spear and short spear both report a range of 20. Mistake?

Also the long description for the longspear reports a critical range of 20x3 in accordance with its short description while the spear reports a critical range of 20x2 instead of the 20x3 found in the short description. Which one is right?

2. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Can you post a screenshot, please. I've examined the files and found nothing that will show that in-game.

REF

description.mes
    long_descriptions.mes

toee/data/mes

entry #4194 longspear

3. Salk

Salk Established Member

Here are two screenshots comparing the short descriptions for spear and longspear.

Note "Range". For the spear (http://www.picpaste.com/spear-EtenBs0e.jpg) is 20. For the longspear (http://www.picpaste.com/longspear-a8w8OKD7.jpg) is 0 like any other melee weapons.

Note also the damage and critical range. According to the short descriptions, they are the same while the long description for the spear says it's 20x2. I assume the latter is right?

4. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Do you want a fix in the pic provided? What version of modpack you're playing is it 8.0.0 or 8.0.1?

Longspear SRD
    Spear SRD
    Shortspear SRD

5. Murlynd

Murlynd The White Paladin

Zoltec & Salk,

The problem with the range of the longspear is in the protos.tab. The spear has it's range listed, but the longspear is missing a range. Check the attached screenshots for the longspear and spear for the difference! :shame:

EDIT:
    Forget what I said above, the range is for thrown weapons only!
    :imwithstu

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

True. I'd already checked the protos entry and there is no indicated 'Weapon Range.' ;)

EDIT: I see, Longspear is considered a simple two-handed melee, according to the SRD. So, the parameter is actually for thrown type weapons, which are the Spear and Shortspear.

7. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Back to the main question of Salk. Actually, there's an error with the description of Spear, having a 20x2 critical range only. According to the SRD, it has a critical range of 20x3.

The error comes from the long_description.mes, Murlynd you might like to include this fix into your mod compilation. :)

8. Salk

Salk Established Member

Okay, let me see if I understand it right:

the longspear is not to be considered a thrown weapon while instead spear and short spear are? If that is the case, what kind of logic is motivating this decision, since all three weapons are ultimately spears? Furthermore, the long_description for the longspear specifies a range (20) just like for spear and shortspear:

{4194}{A longspear is about 8 feet in length.

To Hit Bonus: 0
    Damage: 1d8
    Damage Type: Piercing
    Critical Range: 20/x3
    Range Increment: 20 feet
    Weapon Proficiency: Simple, Longspear}

Zoltec, you are saying that the mistake is in the long description where the critical range is reported as 20x2 when instead it is 20x3?

Thanks!

9. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Yeah that's right. Anyway, that's only a description and would not affect, the internal stat of the weapon. The Spear's internal CR ( critical range ) is still 20x3, so no worries there. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  10. Murlynd

Murlynd The White Paladin

Zoltec & Salk,

FYI:
    (in long_description.mes)
    The critical range (CR) typo in the Spear (4117) is also in the Masterwork Spear (4184) and the Spear +1 (4121).
    The range typo in the Longspear (4194) is also in the Masterwork Longspear (4196) and the Longspear +2 (4252).

This would be easily enough to do, thanks for the info! :yes:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. Salk

Salk Established Member

Will you take care of fixing the typos in the long_description.mes and upload the file among your mods, Murlynd?

Thanks for your help finding more instances of the same problem, by the way! ;)

12. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

The reason the range is 0 for the longspear is that it is a for too cumbersome weapon to be thrown.

The longspear, despite it belonging in the simple weapons group, is still considered a pole-arm weapon. The primary functions of these weapons was to break a cavalry charge, so the 10ft pole that forms the base of these weapons had to be quite sturdy - you don't want them to break down on you after holding back one horseman.

The only instance you throw these weapons away is when the charge is over & you want a close-quarter weapon to better defend yourself.

13. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks for the info, nyarlathotep.

Our Host!