Spawning in Hommlet? Expand it or drop it?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cujo, Jun 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Re: Further Respawning & a Feature Request

random idea - Re: Orc Prespawn, if that quest had a timer on it and you didn't complete the quest in time it would be cool for the orcs to show up in hommlet, where you have to help a few B/B's to save the town from the raid (fight centered around the mayors house as it is the current town stronghold)

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Is there support for this idea? Speak quickly new content deadline is tommorrow night, finished product is 7 days later. I think it would be pretty cool to have something like this happen, what does the community think?

Another sticking point would be how to fit it in. Burne's Badgers are there of course. But Kenter and his boys are all part of the Militia at least from an original module perspective. I have no problem invading Hommlet if that's the way we want to go. I just want to make sure it fits in with the game in evry sense and doesn't seem out of place.

This may be an expansion left for the next release, since IMO it is going to take a bit more planning and changes (ie dialog, assembling the militia, making sure the chickens, dogs, sheep or whatever don't get pulled into combat if they are in the vicinity...) than we have time to do before the offical release of 5.0.0.

Comments please:)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We have an alertpoints flag that is currently unused: if we could find how to fire that, we could get it to move all the militia / Badgers etc into position (we could do it other ways, but its there to be used).

Currently, if you draw someone into combat, even though they are fighting with monsters not you, the combat doesn't end until everyone is dealt with. Thats the main sticking point (that, and the size). There would have to be a script for all the friendlies to clear the shitlist and break them out of combat: not too hard I guess, you put a counter in the san_dying things of the orcs, and when you have killed all the orcs, fire the script in the san_start_combat thing I guess. Factoring in the other contingencies, like Orcs that get charmed and just switch sides (not firing san_dying or san_end_combat), thats the tricky part. Or maybe just having the militia break out of combat the instant an orc isn't near them, that would work but could make for some weird looking battles.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sometimes I think we should consider Cujo "lead writer" of everything. This is a very cool idea. I say run with it, but do it right, like Zeb's doing with the Moathouse situation. There's no reason we can't release 5.0.1, 5.0.2, etc. whenever these things come out. That's what the old guard used to do after all. (Remember Co8 3.0.4?)

Unless C-Blue wants to push back that deadline . . .

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Watching the local chickens become participants in defending Hommlet against invading orcs...now, that would be totally funny to see and watch. hah

[EDIT] How about those Karate Cows and Kung Fu Chickens in Hommlet!.. LoL (and lemme add this...j/k, too)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

A dozen orcs (+/-) wouldn't attack Hommlet. They might go for something outside the village like bandits might, but anything else...? Not really. It's suicide; and lest we forget...they were supposed to be a scouting party, not a war party. One of those would be much larger, and would doubtless attract the attention of the Viscount, who'd send out a war party of his own to hunt down & destroy them.

My vote is negative.

A side note on spell books: In the first edition, spells scribed on the pages of a book were exactly like scrolls; one could read a spell from the book, and it would be consumed in the casting.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Once again, I agree with Spike, an attack on the town should involve something more than just a small number of Orcs a lvl 2 party could handle.

Lets not give up on this, just think it through. What backup could the Orcs call in? If they are a scouting band, do you have to take them out in a set time or they report back to their leaders and the whole war party shows up?

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Hommlet and Nulb are backwoods small towns. A scouting party of orcs in the vicinity of Hommlet and Nulb could attempt a penetration attack of Hommlet or Nulb if they were ordered to do so by the boss monster who would be with the war party, not the scout party, at the time of the scout attack. An attempted attack would be for the scout party to measure strength and weakness of which ever town the scouting party was ordered to attempt an attack. If the scouting party is successful, they return to the boss monster leader and that leader learns crucial information. If the scouting party does not return, the boss monster knows he needs to re-evaluate his future plans regarding the area to attempt to acquire its resources. The actual war party with the boss monster leader could be in an area bordering an evil country to allow safe retreat if needed. Also, the Viscount may be slow to learn about the orcs. This presumes the Viscount is actually good at doing his job, too, and there are not other issues requiring greater attention and manpower resources. Plus, the Viscount would have to send out his own parties and, maybe, spies after learning about the orcs to ascertain their whereabouts, their numbers and purpose.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Note1: If the orcs were a raid party, I would agree with Spike completely, 100 percent on exactly everything Spike said word-per-word about these orcs and his comments on their activities.

However, these orcs are a scout party. These orcs are not a raid party. A scout party serves an entirely different purpose and function than a raid party. If the orcs are a raid party, then, what Spike says fully applies to the situation, 100 percent. If the orcs are a scout party, then, what Spike says about their activities is somewhere between off-mark and wrong.

Bottom line, you might want to re-consider what they are being called, if you agree with and want their purpose to be exactly per what Spike has mentioned.

Note2: I refuse to consider the Viscount to be omniscient. The orcs could be near the Hommlet/Nulb area for a few weeks or, maybe, an entire month before the Viscount would learn about the presence of 12 orcs. Heck, these orcs could easily get slaughtered long before the Viscount could learn of their presence where the Viscount could be informed that 12 orcs were recently spotted and have since been killed.

Otherwise, with respect to the war party, the Viscount might not learn of their presence for one week or longer assuming the war party is large enough and has done enough open area activities during daylight hours to draw attention to itself [example: 80+ orcs marching in daylight hours in formation and wearing armor and bearing weapons over a common, known road in a country the orcs are not originally from and heading away from the country where they originated - easily agreeable as an open activity] (and is not the only kind of open area activity and is not the only first kind of open area activity).

[EDIT] IMO - There is enough time in the game for an adventuring party to find and kill the scout party of orcs and, possibly, a war party those orcs are associated with [if this is what the community decides upon as a whole and wants the direction to be].

How the community wants to handle this is fine by me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I did quite a lot of research into the Verbobonc mod as I was writing it, and while Verbobonc's main population is human, the second largest racial group in Verbobonc are gnomes, most of which live in the Kron hills (those mountains where the Ogre cave is situated) it is entirely possible that the Kron hill gnomes would report any organisation of Orcs in thier teritory to thier prince, who is one of the Viscounts advisors. A warband of Orcs most certainly wouldn't roam about unnoticed by 3000+ gnomes for long, a scouting party might last longer but as the Viscount is charged with the protection of his population, it is his business to know about such things (whether he beleives the reports are true or not).

11. Lord_Spike

I never said the Viscount was omniscient, or that a dozen orcs give or take would occupy his every waking thought. I said a war party would attract his attention. This means that a (much larger) company of rapacious humanoid raiders wandering through his realm would be reported to him, and he would send his own force to deal with them.

Krunch - it helps if you "read the posts" before you make replies to them. Once you've mastered that, you should then try "thinking before typing." It goes a long way towards "making sense." Or, stick to hardware. Unless you've run out of garbage to copy & paste from the MS tech bulletins.

12. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

If your wondering why this became its own thread. I plan to move all the respawn ideas that get enough response, to thier own thead, where they can be the key topic. I am hoping that this makes sorting through and reading the posts less chaotic.

Thanks
    rufnredde

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Any new content in and around Hommlet would be most welcome. The tower workcamp area would be a good area for an encounter. Maybe the tailor gets beaten and robbed, or the southside of town just as Elmo staggers by. Go for it. Lot's of possibilites here.

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Could put the fight in as skirmishes by the braumeister (i.e. the orcs are on a 'beer run') or by the miller's & the cow farm (i.e. more of a provisions run). Either could be due to the foraging needs of unsupplied troops.

Just one possibility to add to the already suggested ones.

15. Lord_Spike

The only thing the orcs might do along these lines is send two or three of their number at the most to commit an act of theft or burglary by night. Then, they'd have to be weak and starving, almost to death! A group that size would much rather ambush passers-by along the highway to take their plunder. They are warriors, for pete's sake. Raiding Hommlet would be suicide! If they didn't get caught in the act & nuked by one of Burne's Fireballs, they'd surely face a Platoon of Badgers accompanied by some of the town militia...which would include people like Rufus & Elmo to stomp their f___ing asses. I daresay they'd eat their own dead if they were truly in such desparate straights; fills the belly and keeps them secret.

If you want more content, make them messengers to some other faction in the Gnarley Forest. It would explain their presence in the Ogre cave (a group of swift scouts), and give them a reason to be on their way before the Ogres take up residence. Put a shit load of orcs waaaaay over there in a camp doing whatever it is orcs do far far away from the attention of any local lordlings who are protecting their peasants. Give the scouts a map or a message or something for the larger group to tie it all together.

Our Host!