Sorting

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dale5351, Nov 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

The ablility to sort the message base is a good feature, but I can see some ways in which it could be improved (or perhaps I just don't quite understand it well enough).

I would like to be able to sort on an exact phrase, e.g. "castle ghosts". But when I try to do that, the result is a sort on castle + ghosts, i.e. the two distinct words instead of the quoted phrase.

I would like to be able to sort on the results of a sort, or on moderately complex boolean phrases such as (A or B) and (C or D).

I would like to not have to wait 60 seconds to sort when the first sort failed.

Is there a thread I have missed that defines how to manipulate the sorts? Are any of the above possible?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I changed the delay to 20 seconds but I think that's about all we can do.

Searching is actually a very server-intensive process, and if you get a lot of searches going on at the same time, things will get bogged down for everybody. I think bots tend to do a lot of searching (for whatever reason), so the delay becomes necessary to curb search-spamming.

I can't see a way to alter any of the other things you mentioned, absent maybe switching the search engine to MySQL from vBulletin. But I don't really think we should do that.

3. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

OK, and thanks. The only thing on my list that would be high priority for me would be to be able to search on an exact expression.

I can understand about wanting to block search bots. The only time that a 60 second time out bothers me is when my first search failed -- so if your 20 second change becomes a problem with the bots, I would not really mind going back to 60.

Our Host!