Sorcerers with Quicken Spell - how does it work?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BenWH, Aug 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

So I gave my sorcerer the Quicken Spell feat and set him up with some quickened spells, but any time I cast one, he can't do anything else in the round. I was under the impression I should be able to get a second spell off or to move, but I never can. What am I missing here?

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

The fact that applying metamagic "on the fly" is a full round action for sorcerers and bards. You're "readying" of quickened spells beforehand is a mechanistic requirement of the computer game and bears no relation to how sorcerers actually operate.

If you look up the Quicken Spell feat in the PHB or other reference you will find this explanation under "Special"

3. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

So what does that mean? It doesn't actually do anything for a sorcerer in ToEE?

4. Pygmy

Quicken spell is worse than useless for sorcerers in P&P and ToEE (you are spending an entire round using a feat that would have allowed you to cast a spell as a free action).

5. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Is this true of any of the other metamagic feats - are they also defunct for any particular class?

Would be good to disable quicken spell for sorcerers (or rename it slow spell :) )

6. Pygmy

I don't know whether this actually applies to ToEE but silent spell is defunct for bards in p&p d&d because their spells REQUIRE them to sing or chant.

7. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I can't recall which but either the Heighten Spell or Empower Spell feat makes the spells affected only usable if the sorcerer doesn't move first- if they move, they can only cast non-heightened or non-empowered spells...

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

BenWH, in case you haven't already looked it up and read it, this is what the SRD (System Reference Document) states about the feat:

Our Host!