Sorcerer Build question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Jack_Deth, May 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jack_Deth

Jack_Deth Member

I was looking at Gamebanshee recommendation for a Sorcerer.

How the heck can this guy make a character like this:

If I put 18 in CHA from the start, I won't have points to spend on anything else

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

As you point out, not from regular point buy. Either keep re-rolling until you get the correct numbers, or "cheat" by using the point buy system and steal points from the roll system.

3. Jack_Deth

Jack_Deth Member

Thanks - I feel dumb, completely forgot that you can roll and then click and drag which attributes get assigned what roll.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I also believe that Tumble relies on DEX, not INT as its primary stat. IIRC.

In any case, I personally wouldn't recommend trying to roll a party with oversized stats, it'll make the game too easy and boring; rather, try to make a group of PCs with individual weaknesses that supplement each other with some strategic planning.

A competent Sorcerer only needs good CHA and reasonable DEX, and it's pretty silly to have him fighting in the front lines unless you multiclass to fighter or sth. IMO, mages should never even be anywhere close to the field of battle, so most of those recommendations are unnecessary.

5. Jack_Deth

Jack_Deth Member

I think that build was for a solo run

6. florian1

florian1 Established Member

If you want to use the advanced point buy system, but would like a few extra points, there is a cheat you can use. Maybe you know it already. In any case, if you roll at least once, then switch to the advanced window, you can drag one of the 8's over to where the roll boxes are (if you were on the rolling screen), and the scores will switch! That way you can add a few points if desired. You can make all 18's with this method, but, as mentioned by Ausdoerrt, playing superman/women characters makes the game too easy, and not as fun. Of course, that's a matter of taste, in the end.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Oh. Well, still, smaller parties balance out by getting more XP and leveling a lot faster.

Also, clerics are arguably a better choice for a solo run.

8. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Aye, it is. And Concentration relies on Constituition. Anyway, Spellcraft is absolutly unusefull for a Sorcerer...

Some Dexterity and Constituition are useful for a Sorcerer - or a Wizard - for the boost in the saves, bonus in AC and HP and exactly becose it gives ya some better modification on the rolls of Tumble and Concentration. Strenght has no use (equiping a sorcerer with a glaive?! Even in a solo run this is crazyness!) once Sorceres dont need to carry armors and weapons, and they usually dont fight in to melee - when they do, they usually die...

Inteligence at 10 is more than enough, as for Wisdon - that boosts the Will save, but this is the primary save os Sorcerers and Wizards.

In a rolled Sorcerer, try 17 in Charisma, 10 in Inteligence and wisdown, 12 in Contituition and Dexterity and 8 in strenghth. if Human, ya will have two feats, one for Thoughness and another for Spell Focus or Combat Casting. Ya shall have 12 skill points, what gives ya a final skills of 5 in Concentration and 3 on Tumble, and another skill (say Spellcraft) to the maximun possible. Calling a Toad (or fFrog, dont remember) Familiar and ya have a decent Sorcerer with 11 initial HP - 4 from the class, +1 from Constituition 12, +3 from Thoughness +3 from the familiar. All the incoming Stats Bonuses goes for Charisma, and the Feats goes from Combat Casting (or Spell Focus, depending of yer initial choice), Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. Try using a light crossbow for weapon, and yare done.

Our Host!