Some misc gameplay questions...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wanderon, Dec 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wanderon

wanderon Member

I've done most of the town quests and am currently in the moathouse slugging away between trips back to town to sell stuff or heal or raise dead. I've got a few questions and no doubt will have more as I progress.

BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD!!!

PLEASE MARK ALL SPOILERS!!!!

I have played through once before down to the nodes but recall very little of it which is kind of a "good thing" as it keeps this game sort of "fresh" and I may have missed stuff before and other than specific spoilers I ask for I would prefer more "gentle hints" that I can then pursue on my own...Thus if you post a SPOILER as part of an answer PLEASE MARK IT clearly in case I wish to ignore it for a while...;)

Now a few questions:

1)Black Jays quest - it seems to be bugged - I discovered the "culprit" and spoke to him and then followed up by speaking to his father but thats as far as things will go. I thought I recalled that when you spoke to the father that he called the culprit in and spoke to him but that does not occur and speaking to Jay again also does not "end" the quest???

2)It appears that when I have my cleric use greater turning and it effectively ends a combat session that I recieve no exp for that combat? Is this correct? Does the party get "credit" for kills made by summoned creatures or animal companions/familiars during combat? Can anyone explain exactly how the exp for a combat session is determined or at least detail things that will increase/decrease the exp you get?

3)Where can I find the "captain of the guard" for the tailor quest??

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

1. It used to be 'bugged' in that it did stop at that point. Liv fixed it. It does take time to resolve though.

2. Going to let the rules experts comment on those.

3. ***SPOILER*****

House/farm in SW corner of Hommlet.

3. wanderon

wanderon Member

1) Hmmm I have been going back and checking with the father and Jay on occasion - I now get no dialoge options at all from Jay (other than one to ask more questions that leads to only "good-bye") and I still get the same dialoge options with the father to talk about his son - nothing new (as if I had never spoken to him about it before) altho the journal is now showing the quest "in green" which seems to be an indication it is complete??

2) OK

3)Thanks!

Here's a new question for the rules experts!!

My rogue died and I had him raised at the temple- I had considered reloading the battle because he missed out on 400+ exp but decided that was OK mostly becuase I rarely reload just becuase party members die (or at least thats how I play the IE games and NWN) however he had 5734 exp when he died and after he was raised he had only 2000 exp...WTF?? The spell desription for raise dead in the manual says nothing about any penalty for using it??? Is this a bug or a "feature" and does it occur only at the temple or anytime a raise dead spell or scroll is used? :tombstone

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

re. Black Jay quest **spoiler**

It originally ended with you just finding the culprit. Nothing else happened. Quest compete. Now something does happen, but it does take a while to resolve. It may be a little anticlimactic but the quest does get an ending of sorts after it's logged as completed..

5. wanderon

wanderon Member

So basicaly i am done with it and just need to wait for it to "resolve itself" then??

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

2) I've never used greater turning, but I get normal XP for the standard turn undead. Summoned and companion creatures do not gain XP, that is split up between party members, not sure about the kill credit, I think the kills creatures get are not tallied to any party member.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've never used Greater Turning, so I don't know. Regular turning does award normal XP.

As Allyx quoted from the rules, Raise Dead costs you a level. Anytime you lose a level, you're dropped to the mid-point of the level you're reduced to. ToEE doesn't actually remove the level from the character, but it does drop your XP to the right amount.

8. wanderon

wanderon Member

Well regular turning was just a royal PITA - all it did was cause the creatures to run away and of course the party remained in combat mode so chasing them down was a real joy - not to mention that this was in the meadows so chasing them down also had the added effect of raising more enemies. I assumed that this was the function of turning (making them run) and that only greater turning would actually destroy them since when I did use greater turning there it did indeed destroy them - the only downside is it destroyed all of them within a certain radius of the caster which included any that were still "in their graves" which meant they could not be looted.

Which brings up another PITA and thats looting critters that die in the water in random encounters or in the case of trolls even being able to kill them. We fought a troll and when he was almost dead he went "underwater" - we could still see him but his "circle" went "blue" and we could not target him so he just laid there gaining back hps so we eventually left before he "woke up" (we were still quite weak then).

As for losing a level for raise dead in a game where there is pretty much no way to retreat and that represents about 10% of the experience you will gain in the game (with pretty much no way to recover it) I guess thats just to encourage everyone to reload until no one dies...:dead: :roll:

My question about summons and such was becuase I thought we had a small encounter where we got no exp and I wondered if kills by summons perhaps didn't count towards party experience. Does anyone know exactly how exp is awarded for encounters?

9. Allyx

If you end your turns without moving, while undead are fleeing, combat will end (after about 3 turns) and when the turn undead effect wears off, the undead will run back to thier original locations.

To kill Trolls, perform a Coup De Grace action, while they're on the floor.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  10. wanderon

wanderon Member

I tried doing that - (just ending turns without doing anything)not sure how many times but it was multiple times - I'll try it again next time.

So then whats the difference between turning and greater turning?? I can't find anything on it in the manual...

Oh and we could not target the one troll we met as he fell under the water ending combat.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  11. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, you don't gain any XP for fights that are too low a level for your party, but I don't think you're high enough level for that to really be a problem yet. (Once you hit level 8, CR 1 and lower creatures no longer give you XP. Same goes for CR 2s at level 9, etc, etc.)

The game should not count summoned creatures for XP totals. I'd have to test it, though.

I have targeted underwater trolls before, but it's a complete PITA, I agree.

Regular turning will destroy undead if you're level is high enough in comparison to their hit dice (and Improved Turning makes your cleric count as one level higher for this). Greater turning is a power granted by the Sun domain and just automatically destroys anything you could normally turn. (And is actually only supposed to be useable once per day, but I think it's bugged to either have no limit, or have the same number of turns as regular turning.)

12. wanderon

wanderon Member

Greater turning does indeed allow more than one use but have not discovered yet how many more than 1.

I could not figure out how to target the underwater troll - or for that matter how to target/attack nuetral characters at all...

13. Allyx

Go near to the troll, press the "c" button on your keyboard to initiate combat, you can use a 5' step to get closer to the target if need be (but you must do that first - it won't do you much good afterwards) and deliver a Coup De Grace.

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

wanderon- I didn't see anyone mention that you have to visit the captain of the guards house AT NIGHT or he won't be there.

15. wanderon

wanderon Member

Ok I'll try that next time...

We just finished off the moathouse- rather easy actually - when we got to Lareth my bard went ahead to talk to him (just to see what he would say) and I was sort of surprised the entire army did not attack when he ended their conversation- she made her way back to the hallway where the others were standing and charmed one of the guards then we just hacked our way through the guards in hallway before stirring up the rest of them- then we attackjed the Looey first and drew him into our reach and finally Lareth made his way out and we took him and the rest of his cronies down turning his offer of riches down. We did use some summoned animals and enlarged our tank but it wasn't near as difficult as I remembered it - maybe this party is a little meaner...;)

We did go back to a previous save from before poor Suli was killed so everyone is at 8709 now as we sell off our loot in town and get ready to report to Burne.

My original plan was to take him along so we will see how that goes. Does he bring the store along with him?? ;)

Our Host!