Secret Door Bug

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Sep 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Lets get to the bottom of this damn thing.

Can people give me some examples of...

Doors, or maps, where they have DEFINITELY, POSITIVELY gotten the bug.

Doors, or maps, where they have NEVER EVER gotten the bug.

I'll have a look if there is some way to set the secret doors up so they don't trigger whatever-it-is.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I recall peops complaining about this issue specifically regarding the moathouse in the room with the undead.

3. Pygon

Pygon Member

That undead room is simply the first place I see it. After that, if the secret doors don't appear there, I know they won't appear anywhere for that started game.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

this is my take on the secret door bug - it happen on a map where the door teleports you to a different place on the same map, and it seems to be related to saved games as well, and I think it might happen when people are playing through differnt games with the same PCs, so when the PC in one game finds the door but they havn't found it in another game well then the door goes back to "not found".

5. Shiningted

None of that explains the bugged doors in KotB though, which are coming up with brand new characters (and never do the 'same map travel' thing).

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It doesn't seem to concern my case... I'm testing KotB with the same characters and
    when I started again I had no secret door bug. In my first playthrough I managed to
    find one secret door (found for it by performing a search, not automatically) in a certain
    building before I the bug happened to me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Could it be a flag issue for the mobs of secret doors? Maybe we should look at it from that perspective?

8. Shiningted

Well, yes, I think it is just that: the flags on portals seem to be there to reset the portal to a set state each time you return to a map, so i tihnk the flags on secret doors may be somewhat similar. I suspect it is this resetting from the 'saved' state for undiscovered secret doors when you return to a map that is causing the problem - but if there is a problem in how the game reads and writes its flags to saves, I'm not sure we can change that. Its a screw-up in the internal functioning of the engine in that case.

But since some secret doors are more prone to this bug than others, we can hopefully establish a best-practise set up to minimise or avoid it.

Hmmm.... come to think of it, the secret doors that are causing the problems in KotB are all ladders, if I am not mistaken, as are the notorious ones in the Moathouse. I'll try swapping them out with doors / stairs and see if that works.

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

The normal way I discover I get the bug is when the door (ie not a ladder) which leads straight into the moathouse fails to show. But, I haven't had the bug for several months. When it does happen it seems to happen to me lots of times over a short period of time. Reinstall works :)

10. maggit

Can't we just figure out another method for making secret doors instead
    of using the flawed one? ;)

11. Shiningted

Well, certainly your new icons are usable (and a damn fine initiative :thumbsup: ), but if we remove the secrecy bit, then we remove using Search to find them, which means less point in having that skill (considering there r currently no traps in KotB to speak of) or any associated feats like Skill Focus, or one less reason to play an elf... i think we should exhaust every avenue before giving up on secret doors altogther.

12. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

how about using your interactive click deal you have going on... for example they get to the map and have to start looking for the areas; just like the drawers in Flays home

13. Shiningted

You know, I think its starting to sink in....

I was hesitant about that because if you frig around with doors, they stop giving you the little blue hand cursor to show something is going on - look at, for instance, the door to the Warehouse, or to the secret area down in the lower sewer - they don't give the hand because the straight-forward 'click here and teleport' nature of the door icon has been interrupted by some scripting.

if you take away the blue hand AND the door icon (because you want to keep it secret), you have nothing to indicate there is anything there at all, and it becomes a point-and-click-a-thon. I don't want that.

BUT... if we replace the door icon with an invisible one but leave it functioning as a normal door, we would still get the blue hand to indicate there is a door there. So it would still be secret in as much as there wouldn't be a big fat blue door icon telling you 'go here', but if people show the initiative to explore the area, they will get the blue hand straight away to know something is there.

It wouldn't work for all the secret doors - the Ant Mound hole would need one of Maggit's icons, for instance, since it has the 'climb down' script interrupting its normal use and thus doesn't fire the blue hand icon - but a mixture of subtle icons and invisible ones that trigger the tell-tale hand might well be the way to go.

It still negates the use of Search, though, alas, so I will still keep this as a last resort.

14. maggit

But what if you hid the object, gave it a DC? Would it be affected by the
    secret door bug then? I'm asking because I don't know how the doors
    work... are they simply objects which are assigned with the door blue door
    icon and a scripted to teleport PCs to other places, or are they hard-coded?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

what about playing in windowed mode - the mouse never changed in that.

Our Host!