Scared NPCs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jul 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
?

Should NPCs be changed to be able to flee in combat?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2005.
  1. Brilliant! I want my NPCs to act like real characters, do it.

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Meh. I could live with it.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. I'd prefer you didn't do it. Keep NPC's humble!

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I hate you, this idea sucks. NPCs should be PCs you meet on the way.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Here's a saucy question.

Some of you may have noticed Zaxis is not above freaking out and running away in combat, yelling something along the lines of, "Remember, he who runs away lives to fight another day. Some other scared bard said that once."

The thing is, all the NPCs have the capacity to do this, complete with scared vocals (which are all too often lacking) and I think I know how to engage this.

If it could be done, would you want it? Vote now!

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Personally, I'd prefer that NPCs express their individuality in this fashion rather than by controlling their coin purses and backpacks.

Isn't

more compelling than

?

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I'm the one who said Meh; its 6 of one 1/2 a doz to me altho I do like NPCs with personalities...

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

If you can do it, then my vote is yes.

5. Shiningted

Well I'm gonna start testing, at the very least it could be applied to the sorta characters who look like they should run away, Spugnoir / Meleny / Turuko etc. Probably dudes like Elmo / Otis / Y'Dey should stand their ground. I think I said that somewhere else (I am such a spammer, it all just runs together after a while).

I also think Burne is a coward at heart, I swear I have never believed a word about that 'green dragon' business, despite no reason to think it is fraudulent. The only green dragon Burne ever went near serves pints. :icon_chuc

Keep them votes coming!

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I know a big, homely, meanass farm girl who'll stand and fight with her cleaver. Bring it on MR Bugbear. Fruella does not flee-NO WAY!

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Turuko wouldn't run away, Hextor would be very angry if he ran from a fight.

8. Lord_Spike

Is there some sort of morale check that triggers this? Any one of the folks you mentioned would run given the proper circumstances...

All fellow party members dead, and Iuz is still unscathed...that sort of thing.

9. Shiningted

Sorry George, I meant to specifically mention that no, she won't be a fleer.
    Meh, he's a big nancy. According to the module, he specifically hangs back in fights and wants to backstab the party when they are weak. That option is in his dlg file, but whether he ever does it is unknown, at least to me (I think it would require very specific circumstances... now, I know I have said this before somewhere).

The Hextor plot is a Troika invention - obviously we have to observe it, but since he is drawn as such a scrawny little runt I don't think it is inconsistent to have him as the somewhat cowardly type (if the situation warrants it).
    That's something I will look into, if the vote warrants it. I hope so!

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Npc's are afterall only hirelings while "Remember, he who runs away lives to fight another day." is true, "he who stands his ground and fights, gets paid!"

If you can do it, GREAT, npc's need these sort of quirks to give them individualism, they're people, not puppets!

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Right. Plus, remember that cowardice isn't the only reason to withdraw. For a mercenary, if the disadvantages begin to outweigh the advantages, well . . . I guess that's what Spike was getting at.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Are you trying to tell me at if you were hired to do something and your boss died, you'd loot his corpse and get the F* out there not carry on for free?

13. Lord_Spike

No way. I'm more the stand-and-deliver type.

But if Iuz killed my boss, I'd damn sure have to think about it...at least before emptying the entire contents of my version of the Smyth & Westrealm bullet launcher into his crusty old face.

:wyatt:

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Damn right I would, and I'd expect any self respecting NPC (especially the evil ones) to do the same, Martyrism is all well and good but why sacrifice yourself needlessly, except for a big pay check?

15. Belgham

Belgham Member

You have to remember that NPCs are not necessarily mercenaries. Depending on their alignment and their cause, as not all NPCs are after their pay check, maybe as a bonus on the side only. A paladin or LG character would only join for the right cause.
    On the other hand, Zerg would agree with you.

Our Host!