Run the TOEE Front-End with No-CD Patch...and nothing happens.

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by eldritchknight, Mar 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. eldritchknight

eldritchknight Member

Okay, I have not been able to play the game at all. Installed the game, the Patch2, Co8 5.0 Final, and the no cd patch (was asking me for the cd when it was in the drive).

I extracted the no-cd patch to the Temple of Elemental Evil file, which copied over the existing TOEE.exe, and now when I try to start the game, my computer acts like it is loading...and then nothing. No black screen, it just does nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

When you ran the installation for Co8 5.0.0 MOD, did you select the option to install the Front End? (see attached photo) And, if yes, are you attempting to start the game using the TempleFrontend.exe file?

Attached Files:

3. majormajor42

majormajor42 Member

I think I am having a similar problem. I just got the game from Thumbmonkey today. I installed it as directed on this site. Made sure I had .net 2.0. The read-me said I had patch 1.0 already but I patched it again. then patch 2.0. then patched 5.0.0 I followed the directions and am using your front-end to run the game. I pick the options I want and choose the co8 module. It then tells me to insert the disk when it already is there. Putting disk 2 in causes a run time error. I tried using Alcohol 120% to make a copy of disk 1 but that copy didn't work either.

I am not sure what the no-CD patch is that the OP was talking about but it doesn't seem to help him either.

Step #3 of the common issues and solutions sticky mentions using Alcohol 120% to mount the CD to a virtual drive but I am not sure what this means.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

majormajor42 -

The No-CD would very likely fix your ills. The scenario you describe is the classic 'I need the No-CD to run ToEE' setup.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@eldritchknight: Check the path of the shortcut for starting the game. Open the properties of the shortcut and click the find button. See if Windows finds the file or not. And, like I asked before, do you use the TempleFrontend.exe file to start your game?

6. majormajor42

majormajor42 Member

Gaear - are there good instructions for No-CD? Is a link to download it available on this website? I've never used it before.

all I see about it is this from that other sticky thread:
    so I guess I am off to google to find something about it.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Google for exactly this.

TEXT REMOVED

Do not post any links to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  8. eldritchknight

eldritchknight Member

@krunch: yea I used the FrontEnd, I also tried it w/o the Co8 patch to see what would happen, and the same thing...tried to load the game, and nithing happened.

I will try to open the properties of the shortcut and see what happens. Hopefully we can solve the problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: Okay, I checked the path to see if the TempleFrontend would be found, and it was. I ran the frontend, set up the options (didn't change anything), and setup told me that the program would req 300 mb. Went and did that, then it said module would start...and it did not:scratchhe

Don't know if its my comp or what?

I have a Dell Intel Pentium 3 w/ 730 Mhz and 192 mb RAM.

I really want to play, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. majormajor42

majormajor42 Member

Thank you Krunch. I'm in business. So far so good. did the tutorial and am moving right along in Hommlet.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@eldritchknight: You probably did not rename the original toee.exe file, did you? If no, we cannot test using the original file.

Do you have a version of the game that you downloaded or is it a store bought version on CD disk?

[EDIT]
    You could download a new copy of the NO-CD patch to use. Make sure you download the English 2.0 version (compatible with Atari Patch2). Replace the current one in the parent folder for the game.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  11. eldritchknight

eldritchknight Member

What do you mean about renaming the original toee.exe? The only thing I did to that was copy over it with the NO CD Patch.

My version is store bought. And I used the correct Version 2.0 No CD Patch.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The original toee.exe from the installation of the game no longer exists because it was overwritten with the NO-CD patch version. Not that doing so was bad, it's just the original version that was installed and patched with the Atari Patch2 cannot be used as a test.

The game won't even begin to start and has never been able to start. So, I would recommend a reinstall of the game.
    Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the Co8 5 MOD
    Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the ToEE game
    Windows Explorer > delete the remaining installed game files
    Reboot the computer
    Install and patch the game (follow Zeb's instructions)

13. bmass

bmass Member

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, and I've even done a reinstall then patched to v2 and then cracked (because again it was asking for the cd even when it was in the drive), and the same thing happens. It appears to boot toee.exe for a second as the program launches and the screen goes black but then the program immediately terminates and the computer goes back to my desktop. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: And I know it's defineatly not a problem with my computer because I've played ToEE before on this computer and I never had any issues. Although that was back before any patches even existed for the game. I'll try running it unpatched but I doubt it will make a difference.

Also when I uninstalled I removed all of the files and registry information not just via add/remove programs.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  14. eldritchknight

eldritchknight Member

@krunch:

The game won't even begin to start and has never been able to start. So, I would recommend a reinstall of the game.
    Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the Co8 5 MOD
    Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the ToEE game
    Windows Explorer > delete the remaining installed game files
    Reboot the computer
    Install and patch the game (follow Zeb's instructions)

I did the above, and got the same result. This is quite frustrating. Any other advice?

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Has your Windows Installer been updated and has the dotNET 2.0 x86 Framework been installed?

fyi - The dotNET 2 is required for the front end.

You can also do a cleanup on your computer. (HERE)

Our Host!