Resurrect involves xp loss? This can be desactivated?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Goreng, Jul 22, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goreng

Goreng Member

Hi, newbie question : Is resurrect involves xp reset at the beginning of the current level? Really a tough rule making weaker even weaker, perhaps some logic but not gameplay friendly.

Is there any way to desactivate this rule? Same question for xp change, with Co8 character of any level win same number of xp, I feel that not cool for party rebalance and would like to desactivate it too.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There is no Resurrection spell in ToEE. There is a way to clean up a character through Jaroo. I'll let someone else field the xp loss in question. I doubt it will be changed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The casting of resurrection does indeed lower your XP to half way between the minimum XP for your current level and the level before your current level (This is as per the rules) the spell Restoration will set lost XP caused by the casting of Resurrection to the minimum XP for your current level, True Resurrection does not cause XP loss but isn't in ToEE (AFAIK), and the Reincarnation spell in ToEE is exactly the same as Resurrection (but available to druids at an earlier level than it is to clerics).

As for changing the spell implementation? Not likely, in fact the XP loss that results in your character having less XP than is needed for their current level is still working in the players favour because they don't loose the benefits of their last level up. Technically speaking, the character should also loose the benefits of their last level as well as the XP, this doesn't happen in ToEE. If any changes were to be made, fixing the negative level thing would be more likely to be fixed than botching the XP loss.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I thought Raise Dead cost the PC experience, and that Resurrection would not...?

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The 3.5 SRD does not mention loss of XP, HD or Level [for Resurrection]...I just looked and read it.
    I recall there was much appropriate discussion on the topic here at Co8.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

All right all right, I MEANT Raise Dead instead of Resurrection, so sue me already. :p

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

My barrister will be in touch...:giggle:

8. Goreng

Goreng Member

Thanks all for the detail, so afterall it should not involve xp loss if the original rule was applied. Ha well I though of a trickery to apply the original rule, cough cough, well the rule I want : Give back the xp loss through console after resurrection. So it's ok like that.

In previous CD&D resurrect rules was always different. In very old CD&D like Pool Of Radiance, I don't remember xp or stat loss but very high price only, not sure. For BG I remember one CON point loss but that disapeared with BG2 and no xp loss in both. In NW I don't remember at all. Usually in older games, until I learn the spell, the cost was too high plus for most you had to take and carry all their stuff and that was boring so most often I preferred reload.

In ToE even the cleric price isn't that high, I don't mention the druid price wich is cheap, plus you don't have to carry their stuff. So it's quite cool to be able to resurrect because of some tough opponents like Ogre or Giant Hill. Entangle is nice but well slightly boring in the long run plus you could not have a few luck required or any druid.

Also it's more in the mood to resurrect than reload but a tremendous loss of xp is weird. The Ironman mod is very very cool, too bad bugs plus suspected bugs related to "save over" forbid it and in fact will forbid it for any RPG game. Yes I know you can simulate but not quite the same mood.

Our Host!