Replacing spells known for sorcerers and bards?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by florian1, Oct 28, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Is there a way to replace spells known for sorcerers and bards in ToEE? This is true for the 3.5 PnP, but I can't figure out how to do it in ToEE. I would not be surprised if it was not possible.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I believe it is possible for Sorcerers at least, not sure about bards. When leveling up to an even numbered Sorcerer level, IE when you attain access to a higher level spell tier, you should be able to swap a spell from a spell tier lower than your highest tier.

EG at 6th level you gain access to 3rd level spells, you should be able to swap a 1st or 2nd level spell and gain your new 3rd level spell.

3. florian1

For my Bard who just advanced to 6th level, I couldn't swap out a first level spell for another 1st level spell. I tried clicking to remove a spell, and dragging a new spell onto an old one, but had zero effect. Because at sixth level Bards don't gain any new spells known, and because I couldn't swap out a spell, sixth level becomes an almost "dead spell level" other than gaining one additional casting of a level 2 spell per day.

Looking at the PnP Bard, I notice it says that at 5th level and every three levels after that, the Bard can switch out a spell. So, maybe I missed the boat at 5th level, and have to wait until 8th level now?

Edit: I just noticed that in PnP, for a Bard, the swapped spell needs to be two levels below their highest tier. So it would have to be a zero level spell in this case.

4. florian1

So I did a quick test, leveling a Bard in the start shop. At level 5 couldn't swap any spells because only level 0 is allowed, and he already knew all the available level 0 spells. At level 7, at which point the Bard gained level 3 spells, no switching of level 1 spells was allowed because he only had level two spells at that point, but at level 8 he was allowed to switch a level one spell. So, it seems that at only every third level after 5th are switching spells possible, and not on the in-between levels even if one didn't use the chance to switch at a previous level. But it does work.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
Our Host!