Reach weapons not adding X 1.5 strength damage

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cezmail, Sep 24, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Have a group with a couple of reach weapons and I have tried unequipping the weapons and adding them, as well as trying to use one handed weapons and then re-equipping the reach weapons. The dice rolls continue to show only the regular strength bonus on the damage, not the multiplier.

Not sure if this is just a bugged play or if something else is happening. None of the characters are under any influence of spells or poison or have degraded stats. Reach weapons have worked fine before and this is the same install as those games.

Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I started a new game and this time tested the reach weapons at the opening shop and think I found my answer, though it is a weird one.

Seems if you equip a buckler with the reach weapon, it does not allow the strength multiplier to be in effect. I checked the dice rolls and with different characters and found the same results.

I will admit I had not noticed this before when I had various characters with reach weapons and who used bucklers.

I do not know if this is just my game or if anyone else is willing to test things on their games and see if they can duplicate my findings.

3. lechium

lechium Member

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks for the quote and all Lechium, as I was aware of this already. The wearing of the buckler is not a second weapon and so by this rule should not effect the normal damage multiplier of 1.5 strength. My situation, which I have now confirmed happened again with the new mod pack 5.92.

Another thing I have noticed and checked is that the game is not penalizing using bare hands in combat. Normally I believe there is supposed to be a -4 penalty and that is not happening.

As no one else seems to have this happening. I think it must be just my game, so will live with it until I can find my disks and try a new install. Then once I am all updated again, I will see if things change.

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

cezmail, you've most probably found a new bug. Don't reinstall your whole game because of it! Give other people time to test and confirm it. I will test it when I next play the game. I'll let you know if I experience the same as you (I almost definitely will experience the same bug as you). Thanks for the link to the no-CD crack, by the way. I've enjoyed reading your posts. You've been doing things in the game that I would never even conceive of doing. It makes for fascinating reading! You've been teaching me quite a few useful tricks.

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks Gazra for the compliments and feedback. I will admit I was feeling a little bummed and was probably jumping the gun with my comment about reinstalling. I am enjoying a nice play through with 5.92 and seeing the tweaks that Gaear and Co have done.

My pleasure for the link. I really enjoy not having to have a disk in my drive all the time. Glad I can add to your own pleasure and maybe informing you and others with the various tactics and discoveries I post.

I will wait and see if anyone else can duplicate this situation with reach weapons and bucklers. I have even tried to use mithril, darkwood, and masterwork bucklers all seem to negate the extra damage you should get.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well just found something else which others may want to check. Maybe see if you can confirm the same results as I saw in the dice rolls.

I have a monk and he is using a staff and flurry of blows. If he just does one attack his strength bonus is multiplied by the normal x1.5 but if he flurries then each blow is only using the base bonus. In normal rules this should not be. Not a deal breaker, but combined with my situation with reach weapons, for all I know all two handed weapons with a buckler, makes you want to beat some damed code up.

Not blaming anyone at Co8, just think it is something screwed up somewhere. Unless it is just my set up somehow and everyone else it is working and your having a nice laugh at my blabbering. :)

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

My experience is that you do indeed get the -4 penaly, unless you were using your monk of course.
    Can you find someonthing from the rules to support that? We can't change it, but on the surface sacrificing strength for speed sounds about right.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

For the -4 I will investigate another time, but for the strength thing and flurry of blows, here is a quote from the rsrd I have that back you up Ted and prove my bead memory is wrong. Goes to show what happens what you get old and decrepit. :)

"When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows."

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Speaking as a Fourth Dan with 18 years in a traditional martial art, it IS sort of right. But you are not sacrificing power for speed. Speed IS power. You are sacrificing power for rapidity ("flurry"): more attacks in a given time. More 'unaimed', weaker shots.

Just clarifying, not correcting.

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well you have more knowledge that I do, so I accept your reasoning. Thanks for the heads up.

12. GuardianAngel82

No problem. You don't speed up your attacks. You make less complete movements.

13. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

So, less complete movements = half-assed/lazy?

Is Bruce Lee's one inch punch a half movement?

If martial arts is half movements, shouldn't monks get double attacks?

If you sacrifice power for speed, shouldn't you do less damage?

:poke:

Just kidding, GA. I know what the score is.

Do you know how to use any cool weapons in real life? I mean besides guns. Weapons you have to beat someone with.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thinking of going after that Dastardly Skunk with one of them Necro? :)

15. GuardianAngel82

Speed IS power.

Less complete = Less impact, but more frequent.

PRACTICING a one inch punch increases your power. A full punch has more power. You apply the power at the end of the punch. Martial Arts or no.

Our Host!