Rannos & Gremeg & Paladins

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Edwin P, Aug 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Edwin P

Edwin P Member

In TOEE honest Paladins become fallen if they partake of a drinking contest; however, they don't become fallen if they accept a bribe from Rannos or Gremeg.

By adding code "pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)" to the Rannos (00062) and Gremeg scripts (00061) Paladins will become fallen if a "paladin" asks for a bribe or accept an assassination quest.

I would like this to occur if anyone in the party accepts a bribe )as happens with Romag's Earth Temple quests); however, I was unable to figure out how this is triggered in the game engine as I did not see a trigger in the dialog text or python scripts.

Code modifications for Rannos Davl (00062):

Code:
    ###############################################
    # Added Fallen Paladin Conditioin             #

{180}{So perhaps a friendly gift might buy your silence on this rather sensitive issue. No cause alarming the good folk around here. This is not about them.}{So perhaps a friendly gift might buy your silence on this rather sensitive issue. No cause alarming the good folk around here. This is not about them.}{}{180}{}{}
    {181}{Perhaps a little cash would do the trick.}{}{8}{}{190}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {182}{I could use a good magic item.}{}{8}{}{200}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {183}{If you work for the Temple, give me directions. I need to check that place out.}{}{8}{}{210}{}
    {184}{Me want money.}{}{-7}{}{190}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {185}{You give me magic item.}{}{-7}{}{200}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {186}{Me want to know where the bad Temple is!}{}{-7}{}{210}{}
    {187}{No thanks, Rannos. I'm not in the mood for gift-giving.}{}{8}{}{0}{}
    {188}{No presents today.}{}{-7}{}{0}{}
    {189}{F:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Code:
    {210}{[laughs] We don't go near the Temple, friend. Oh we may have dealings with them, but we don't go there ourselves. I cannot assist you with that, I am afraid.}{[laughs] We don't go near the Temple, friend. Oh we may have dealings with them, but we don't go there ourselves. I cannot assist you with that, I am afraid.}{}{210}{}{}
    {211}{Then tell me, friend, who CAN tell me?}{}{1}{game.areas[2] == 0 and game.global_flags[37] == 0}{215}{}
    {212}{Fine. Just give me some money, then.}{}{1}{}{190}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {213}{Then you'll just have to wonder what I'm going to do with my newfound knowledge, wont you? Have a nice day.}{}{1}{}{0}{}
    {214}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Code:
    # Added Fallen Paladin Condition

{240}{Another of Gremag's mistakes. [stares over at Gremag] I grow weary of this. All right, how much to keep silent about this little mess. Surely, you see the sensitivity of this issue to me.}{Another of Gremag's mistakes. [stares over at Gremag] I grow weary of this. All right, how much to keep silent about this little mess. Surely, you see the sensitivity of this issue to me.}{}{240}{}{game.quests[16].state = qs_completed}
    {241}{How about 50 gold pieces?}{}{8}{}{220}{pc.money_adj(+5000);pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {242}{I see the sensitivity, Rannos. And for that you're going to pay a little extra. My price is 100 gold pieces.}{}{8}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_diplomacy) >= 5}{220}{pc.money_adj(+10000); pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {243}{Your mistake or Gremag's does not matter to me. I will not cover for your spies.}{}{8}{}{260}{}
    {244}{Enough of this talk. I don't care whose mistake it is. Tell me NOW who's behind this!}{}{8}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_intimidate) >= 4 and game.areas[2] == 0}{270}{}
    {245}{Me want 50 gold.}{}{-7}{}{220}{pc.money_adj(+5000); pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {246}{Me think you in bad way. Me need 100 gold to forget Rannos' mess.}{}{-7}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_diplomacy) >= 5}{220}{pc.money_adj(+10000); pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {247}{Me not keep silent for anything. You bad man.}{}{-7}{}{260}{}
    {248}{You tell me NOW who you work for!}{}{-7}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_intimidate) >= 4 and game.areas[2] == 0}{270}{}
    {249}{Too late, friend. I've already told Burne and Rufus. I'm sure they'll be down any time to have a chat with you.}{}{8}{game.quests[15].state == qs_completed}{280}{}
    {250}{Me already tell Bunny and Woofus.}{}{-7}{game.quests[15].state == qs_completed}{280}{}
    {251}{Give me everything in your store for free. Now! Or I'll start talking!}{}{8}{}{300}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}
    {252}{Me want everything here!}{}{-7}{}{300}{pc.condition_add_with_args("Fallen_Paladin",0,0)}

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Lava

Lava Established Member

Maybe all the lawful good religions on Oerth are really hard-ass strict, but I always thought that the drinking contest one was a tad bit severe. Ok, ok, I can imagine St. Cuthbert being a hard-ass about this. But what about a paladin of Elhonna, Corellon? I guess there's the argument "paladins are paladins" and at least in that universe, good is good and evil is evil... but still, 'striking down' my dwarven paladin of Moradin... I don't know. I'd think he'd be in trouble for just the opposite, if he cowardly refused the noble challenge of a time-honored drinking contest! ;)

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

But to accept a bribe from an evil npc?

I would think a Pally would be able to pick up on the evil nature of those two scumbags and certainly know better than to take a bribe from them ... or take a bribe from anyone, now that I think about it.

If a Pally can take bribes, then a fighter should be able to lay on hands.

I agree 100% Edwin P. ;)

4. Lava

Lava Established Member

Does detect evil even do anything? I'm not sure it does, but you're right, there are certain people that should light up like beacons. ;) Prot. from evil doesn't seem to work either, so I wonder if the alignments are set right -- although this, I'm thinking, probably isn't new info since 6.0 has been around a while.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

As far as I know, detect evil is a null. I agree that the drinking contest always had me wondering why you fell, but I think it is a hold over from vanilla.

One this I have found out is if you start a character as something else, do the contest, and THEN switch to Paladin, you get to keep the rep and not take the fall. :)

6. Lava

Lava Established Member

I even tested prot. from evil with my own characters attacking each other (just to make sure I knew the attacker was evil) and it doesn't work, as far as I can tell from the dice rolls. I think alignment is nothing more than a null setting that the game doesn't even notice once the group is formed... which is a shame. :(

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's not true - there are numerous scripts that check for alignment.

8. Gaear

FYI, this will finally be added for both Rannos and Gremag. The only deviation from the original is that paladins won't fall for demanding everything in the store as a bribe and not getting it. (I figure you have to receive something to take a bribe.)

ALSO, I think we're finally going to do away with the silly paladin falling for the drinking contest. I've watched the debate on this over the years and it seems clear to me finally that, original Troika content or no, it's mainly just seen as an irritant and causes immersion-breaking workarounds. (e.g., players wait to add paladins to the party til later because they know they'll fall for something silly early on.) Combine this with the fact that there's still tons of crazy shit paladins can do all throughout the game without penalty and it's just ... no.

9. Salk

Salk Established Member

Great news!

But if I may add my opinion, I do think that the Paladins should fall for just demanding the bribe, no matter what the final result is because its the very act of attempting it that should be punished.

10. Gaear

The problem there is setting precedent though. If you go down that road for every bad inclination, there should by rights be a lot of paladin falling, as you can say some pretty nasty things throughout the game without actually harming anyone. The easy fix is thus to tie it to real conduct. It's probably not near as nuanced as the whole routine should be, but remember that we're dealing with a limited game engine in the first place.

Our Host!