Rannos and Gremag

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by spurchief, Aug 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. spurchief

spurchief Member

Spoilers ahead, if you are early in the game.....

OK, I just killed the traders. But I'm not sure I should have.

I have finished virtually all of the Hommlet quests, I have completed Emridy Meadows and the Moathouse. I sold Lareth's boots and necklace (I think it was a necklace) to the traders. Then after running around doing a few other things and decided it was time to head to Nulb. When I left, I got the random assassin encounter, had our delightful villianous exposition (in which the assassin reveals he traced my Lareth-killing to the sale in Hommlet), and then kicked his evil butt (after much frantic bashing and summoning). So, I headed back to Hommlet and while there was no different dialogue with the traders, I had had enough and initiated combat and killed them (and their little dog, Raimol, too). I also now have the Swift Arm of Justice reputation (or something like that....)

Now, in searching through some threads here on the forum, I keep reading that perhaps one of them should have escaped (via the dust of disappearance) for other later encounters to trigger properly. I have a save just before the killing started, so I can go back; I'm also early enough in the game I could start over (again - this is my third time through Hommlet without ever getting to the temple....) if I've missed something significant.

So, did my good team do a bad, bad thing? Am I going to miss significant encounters with my desire to kill, maim, and slaughter?

Thanks in advance.....

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If you just hack'n'slash you will miss a lot of things. If one of the traders escapes, then you get the Target of Revenge quest. It's lots of loot if you live thru it.

3. adarius

adarius One man army.

Lmfao, IF you live through it. xD Ah....I should try this one. My lvl 17 party is kinda bored with resting in the Temple for random encounters.

Edit: I'll try it out once we know about this bug =o

Edit2: I noticed I have really bad typing skills.... :blank:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  4. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

I just initiated combat with the traders by pick-pocketing them, but they won't disappear. They just keep telling Raimol to help them even though he was killed the first round. I have my characters do nothing and the Ranos and Gremag don't do Anything. They just stand there.

5. wizgeorge

Level 17? It doesn't appear you're playing a standard, by-the-book game. It is boring having a super-powered party. Next time you play, try a regulation game.

6. spurchief

spurchief Member

zuluwarrior:

In my game the traders behaved exactly the same way. In fact, I'm not even sure they tried to hit me once I initiated combat. Raimol never got a chance to hit anyone, since he went out on a critical from my ranger, so I'm not sure what he did.

wizgeorge:

Not playing a hack-and-slash game. I'm trying to experience as many of the Co8 quests as possible. That's why I have been thru Hommlet 3 times trying to get more of the content and it's why I made the post - asking if what I did was going to miss anything - in the first place. So, have my actions - initiating combat and killing both traders (even though they never tried to run, as described above - going to cause me to miss other sequences later in the game?

Thanks

7. zuluwarrior94

Yeah, I'd like to get that Target of Revenge quest, but can't seem to get the traders to escape. Guess I'll start a new game.

8. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Traders Won't Run Bug:
    Just went through this myself. It can kick in when you have more than 6 characters (including Henchmen and Animal Companions) and one or both of the traders are completely surrounded. Try initiating the fight with 6 or fewer total characters, and make sure that at least one Trader has a clear path to a door.

A fix is being worked on now by Zebedee, one of the Co8 modders.

Do you miss anything by killing the Traders in Hommlet:

Yes, you miss a side quest sequence ending in a good fight against smart foes.

9. wizgeorge

Don't start a new game, try to escape out of it to the most recent save. If you can, then quit the game. Delete the pyc and weird maps files and try again.

10. zuluwarrior94

I deleted the pyc files, but don't know how to delete the "weird maps" files (unless deleting pyc's is the same thing). Didn't work.

11. zuluwarrior94

Worked!! Once I re-read what you wrote, Wizgeorge, about the number of party members, I dropped one and went back to the trading post. Everything worked out fine. I had Melleny with an animal companion and my wizard had a familiar.

Now I'm a Target for Revenge. That's just the way I like it.

Thanks.

12. adarius

adarius One man army.

It IS a by the book game using the lvl 20 cap. I used the point buy system and I have a cleric(Human Male), sorceress(Half-Elf Female), rogue(Halfling Female), and Paladin (Human Male). I call it my lvl 17 party cause I started the sorceress late, she's 16. It's been a damn pain in the ass going through, I've tried doing every quest and fight every monster, I haven't used a guide or help yet.

Edit: Actually my sorceress is 17 now, I leveled her about 15 minutes ago. I'm mad now though... =\ I'll post it in another thread.

As for Rannos and Gremag, I only use them to buy and sell stuff in most games. I usually play some form of evil or chaotic, and I usually kill off all of the other villagers. So Rannos and Gremag become the only people in hommlet to trader with, not sure what it would do to your game.

Edit2: I've only played table top D&D twice with a friend, and he moved away. The only D&D merchandise I own are a D&D: Adventure Game starter set (which unfortunately uses the little tokens and a paper dungeon map which was provided) and a hardbound copy of the v3.5 Dungeon Master Book, half of which I don't understand. =\ So I guess if I'm not playing a regulation game...OH WELL, I didn't get to play table top much and this is the only D&D games I've ever really been able to play like this. One more thing, if you wish to impart your knowledge on me, please PM it to me to do so, because honestly I don't know how a 'regulation' game is played. Please and thank you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Relax, adarius. I believe wizgeorge was just commenting that your party seemed unusually high level for lounging around the temple. With the current modpack, it's much more common that players will complete the game with their party members averaging level 13 or 14 or so.

14. adarius

adarius One man army.

Relax? I wasn't in any mood to relax from, just fully explaining everything. Yes, I know my characters are high leveled, I like to lounge around and take extra time on everything I do.... Same goes when I play starcraft, C&C, Diablo I & II, AoE II, and even MMOs like Ragnarok Online, Maplestory, and Tribes 2. I love squeezing out every little thing possible before moving on. So...I probably will have higher levels, more equipment and gold, etc. in the modules. I'm just that way I guess =\

15. wizgeorge

You say you play evil but stated there is a Paladin in the party and you killed all the villagers. Paladin's are lawful good and wouldn't allow such things. I suppose with a lot of luck a party of 4 could make level 17. Lot's of random encounters and some good crafting. Usually by that level you should be ready for end-game with demoness Z. Have you tried the quests of the 4 temple priests? The high priest, Hedrack, has some quest also. I still can't figure out how you got a Paladin playing an evil alignment. That selection is only available with Lawful Good. Just curious.

Our Host!