Questions, questions, and more questions!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lantern48, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. lantern48

lantern48 Member

1. Is there an armor rating for helmets, gloves, and boots? Is there even any difference between padded boots and plate boots, etc? Does wearing boots have any effect on armor at all? Same question for gloves and helmets. Are helmets, gloves, and boots purely cosmetic unless they are of the wonderous variety?

2. The Fighter class has an inherent proficiency for all martial weapons, but the option to choose the martial weapon feat is still available. Do you receive the +1/+1 bonus to hit percentage and damage if you choose the feat again?

3. Is there anything special about the Hero Shield you win from doing the arena content? Yes, I've won it. That's why I'm asking.

4. Do you receive any bonus based on the deity you choose? I know it grants abilities to clerics, but I've seen no noticeable effect on any other class. Is there any point to what deity you choose for a class other than cleric?

5. If you choose a deity and then use its favored weapon -- say Heironious and the Longsword -- do you receive some sort of bonus for using that favored weapon?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide clarity on these questions.

2. ethan_dawe

ethan_dawe Member

1. Purely Cosmetic

2. No

3.I don't know.

4. No effects

5. Nope.

3. lantern48

lantern48 Member

That's really lame. There should be like a 1/4 point or 1/2 point system. Or at the very least, give a +1 AC bonus (or -1 damage incursion) for matching a helmet, boots, and gloves with the appropriate body armor. So I guess that means there's no difference between light, medium, or heavy armor either unless by special enchantment. Light should have a -1 to damage, medium a -2, and heavy a -3.

Shouldn't be an option to choose it again.

Ok.

Really? That's surprising. There should be some point to it.

Shame.

4. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

Some info on the Hero's Shield. It is a +1 tower shield that weighs much less than a normal metal or wooden tower shield. Also, I don't think it requires tower shield proficiency to use it. My cleric had no difficulty using it, but I've only tried it with fighters and clerics so far.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

4. You can choose no deity if you want, the only reason its there is if you multiclass into a cleric later on.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Lantern
    Allow me to clarify a few things for you.

you are most welcome.
    The Royal Canadian

7. The Royal Canadian

Hi UncleBuck
    I hate to say this but you are at least partially incorrect. Anyone can use the Hero's Shield, but any non-Fighter that does so will suffer a HUGE ( -9 ) non-proficiency penalty to their "Hide", "Move Silent", "Sleight of Hand" and "Tumble" skill checks. According to d20srd ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#shieldProficiency ) all non-fighters would also suffer a penalty on all attack rolls, but I didn't check that.
    One quick note for for Gaear and Sitra: It appears that the Druids Shield Proficiency is slightly "broken". As part of my Hero's Shield testing, I created a 1st Level Druid and added her to an existing party that had the Hero's Shield. I was able to "equip" her with it, and she was able to cast a "Goodberry" spell with it on her arm, even though when I moused over the shield while it was in the inventory section, I saw "Unable to use due to Class Restriction". As a further test, I transferred a +1 Buckler that started off as a regular Masterwork Buckler, and got the same results.
    The Royal Canadian

8. lantern48

lantern48 Member

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain and answer my questions.
    It is appreciated.

9. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I don't believe tower shield proficiency is actually implemented in TOEE

Try equipping your 1st level cleric with a tower shield;

1. No non-profiency penalty is displayed on the inventory screen

2. The goblin in front of him that has read the D&D rulebooks is in for a rude surprise as his combat effectiveness is not empirically affected.

10. The Royal Canadian

Hi
    Regarding combat, you are quite correct (although I find the idea of a Goblin reading any sort book, especially a RULE book slightly amusing). As a test I gave Rath (a Cleric / Monk) the Hero's Shield. As you can see in the attached image, it didn't effect his combat ability at all.
    The Royal Canadian

Attached Files:

11. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Rofl. I nearly spit soda on my keyboard at that one.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

Actually, you malign Goblins, my dear friends.

If none have you have ever read Raymond Fiest's Riftwar series (Excellent series- just READ the first four, or maybe the next 4-5, it started getting very annoying beyond that) there is a goblin named Gathis (purely a backdrop charachter) who is quite refined.

He teaches us not to judge a race by the majority of its members.

Of course in TOEE, Gathis would be completely shocked he could not hit that priest as easily as he should...

13. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

My point was that whilst holding a tower shield with which he was non-proficient, an average pnp 1st level cleric would hit the goblin only on a natural 20.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I believe that you also gain proficiency in the said weapon if you don't have it already

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

As well as weapon focus in that weapon.

If I'm not mistaken, you have to select War as one of your domains.

Our Host!