Questions about Druids

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dale5351, Nov 17, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I am on my second run through and decided to add a human druid to my usual party of Fighter, cleric, rogue, sorcerer, wizard. So far I am quite pleased with most of her abilities, at least those I have tried out.

Only thing I do not like is her use of sling. I would really prefer use of some sort of bow. Arrows are very frequent pick-ups but stones for the sling seem rare and she keeps running out. Are there any suggestions or advice on how to handle this problem when I start another run through? Would an opening class of fighter help?

Also, I have not really yet played around with some of the special druid abilities I have read about -- such as shape shifting and animal companion. What happens if the companion gets killed? Do you just summon another one?

How about some other comments on things about druids that I haven't thought to ask about?

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The easiest way to be a druid with a bow proficiency is to be an elf.

3. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Get ready to go thru a lot of companions for your druid- if they die you can summon another. At higher levels you can summon tougher companions. If you want to use their shape change ability be sure to pick up Natural Spell as a feat- it will allow your druid to cast spells while wildshaped. Also, druids can summon some pretty useful monsters with the Summon Nature's Ally spell- just make sure to get Spell Focus- Conjuration and Augmented Summoning feats to enhance them. If you ever include a monk the druid has spells that allow them to craft unique items for monks that clerics and wizards/sorcerers can't. If you don't want to make an elf druid then 1 level of Fighter would be good, that or choose the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat if you still want a human druid.

4. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

From a certain moment in time, your druid will be slinging spells a whole lot more than stones, if you know what I mean. :p

Also, 1 lvl of fighter really doesn't hurt a druid (or barb if it's a half-orc)

5. dale5351

I'm really just speculating ahead -- my current party is just entering Verbobonc after having done moathouse respawn.

One debate I'm having with myself is whether or not I can get by without a rogue. A wizard with a wand of knock can open a lot of locked doors and chests, but what about disable traps? Is there some way a druid or wizard can accomplish this without taking damage?

6. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

To the best of my Knowledge, anyone can disable traps or open locks in ToEE CRPG if they put points in the appropiate skills they will show up on your radial dial. Rouges are just the only one with them as a class skill, so other non-rouges will just go up in those skills alot slower.

I actually just remember that I once started a CN party of all Barbarians a few versions back and made sure I put skill points at first level in OL/DD on one of them so I could get the key to get out of the CN opening a the begining and it worked fine with no rouge.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

The druid spell warp wood is also effective for opening some doors/ chests. Restoration, Cure x Wounds are one way to get around traps (or their effects). Druids are poison resistant beyond a certain point, too. To get proficiency with a bow for a druid, you either need to sacrifice a feat if human, effectively do the same by being an elf (also pick up other benefits including longsword- you can use the flametongue sword without sanction; immunity to sleep and paralysis too IIRC). Taking a level of Fighter (or indeed Rogue, Ranger, Barbarian might be more complementary) delays your progression in Druid- so you may always feel behind and (early on especially) underpowered in your spellcasting.
    Given that your additional human feat would go on a bow, my preference would be to take an elf as Daryk suggests. Taking a level of Ftr gives you 3 starting feats, but I don't think you get to spend them how you would wish to with a plan to become a Drd (spell focus on summoning, augment summoning are my favourites, along with sp foc enchantment). Ranger gives you a favoured enemy, Brb gives you rage and decent hp (I did run a Brb1 Drd x come to think of if, and she was my most effective fighter until about 4th level when raging) and Rog gives d6 of sneak attack which is always welcome if you can work it, and a decent start to your search and disable device skills on which to add cross-class skills later.
    Having said all that, I tended to find that between produce flame and call lightning, I am usually throwing divine punishment of some type with a druid. It is strange that sling bullets are so hard to come by, though, given that stones are are acceptable substitute, that they a less likely to be damaged than arrows or bolts, and that they can be made relatively easily with fire and a mould (we always made silver bullets out of sp in PnP). Perhaps they could be 'searched for' or 'spotted' on riverbanks or something?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Is Warp Wood working again? Last I checked/heard it had mysteriously stopped working without being altered at all.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

As shapecharge said, anyone can disarm a trap if the have enough points, but only a rogue can actually find the traps when the traps are higher level.

I've had a ranger with very high search skill search a chest and find nothing, but my rogue spotted it right off.

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Can druids cast spells when changed into hill giant form? I usually don't do the wild shapes since I lose access to spells, but I am considering it if I can cast as a hill giant. My druid strategy is to generate meat shields, act as a back up wizard, back up healer, and back up fighter. As a hill giant, she could likely be a front line fighter.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think the only way to cast a spell as a hill giant is to have your Druid craft a mantle of that form and then she could cast while wearing it.

And then again, I could be way off. Heh heh

12. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Yeah, I have to craft the item and I am willing if I can cast as a hill giant.

13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Possible spoiler:
    There is a special encounter in the temple with a hill giant that is actually a wildshaped druid acting as a spy. I think she has a scroll or ring that allows a player character to assume the hill giant wild shape form

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Yes, but only if the druid has the feat Natural Spell. I should point out that a druid that is shape-changed is not able to handle any weapons (even when in the shape of a hill giant), and I'm not sure if any armour that the druid was wearing before the shape-change provides its armour bonus to the druid's AC while the druid is shape-changed.

15. dale5351

Does that mean that a druid who is going to use shape changing ought to also pick up the unarmed combat feat?

Our Host!