Question about Slavers quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Legless, Nov 28, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Legless

Legless Established Member

Hi.
    I just did the slavers quest with a CN party as follows:
    My Rogue used ring of invisibility and snuck up and attempted conversation, which couldn't work. But at the same time he SAW the slavers and recognised them from their descriptions.He slunk away the I open the fighting fom a distance. I never lost anyone from my level 11 party, but on return to Verbobonc, I was slung in the tanty and fined 140000 gold.
    WHY?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You didn't actually kill the slavers, you killed the party sent to rescue the children from Dyvers. If only you had verified who they were first. ;)

Didn't the authorities in Verbo explain that to you?

3. Legless

But when I confronted them, they told be not to interfere in their business and attacked with a paralyse everybody followed by quick death for all tactic. The names were those of the wanted slavers anyway. My thief confirmed it, so its not a logical conclusion that I hit the "rescuers" unless its a setup by that gnome hating assistant in Verbobonc. Maybe the Rogue skills should flag up that the slavers have been seen and recognised for a future version.

4. Gaear

Wait - I thought you opened the fighting from a distance?

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

When Wilfric is giving us his speech about the slavers and describing them, is he showing my party the same pictures I'm seeing?

If he is, then I would have to agree with legless that it would be a KOS as soon as I recognized them regardless of what kind of lies they might be attempting.

6. Gaear

The video is just an entertainment thing, he's not really showing you a video. ;)

7. Legless

correct after my recce. I made sure it was the baddies and them took them out.

(I used to play d&d with cardboard dungeons and dungeon master manuals etc in the 70's. Thats why I still take notes with pencil & paper)

PS Iwent back to the last savegame b4 the fight and did it again with a new tactic and only one of my chars took some damage. So I managed it easily at level 11 this time.

8. Gaear

So you did or did not have dialogue with them?

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

If he did a recon and confirmed the identities of the bad guys, why should he actually want to? Ambush makes much more sense imo. Look at it like a "no knock warrant".

10. Gaear

There's no way he could know for a certainty who they are without talking to them. That's why you should verify or be prepared for the repercussions of going around executing persons without identifying them.

Wilfrick doesn't show you videos or pictures of the Slavers anymore than the Emridy Meadows video is actually something you see real-time, in-game. The Slavers movie is a game mechanic intended to enhance your immersion and entertain you. It's a storytelling tool. That leaves you with his words, and verbal descriptions of people are not enough to say for a certainty "yeah, that's them," particularly not to the extent that you would execute them without a word. If someone said to you that there were eight people - a woman and 7 men - around the corner who just murdered your spouse, would you go around the corner and take it out on the first woman and 7 men you saw?

The purpose of this is, very bluntly, to even the playing field. Players already have incredible advantages over game AI and design that modders/devs just can't compete with. So circumventing attempts to skew things even moreso in your favor - like scripting consequences for gaming the system - is absolutely in our bag of tricks. Better get used to it and settle for having 90% of the advantage all the time instead of 95%. :yes:

11. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

Is there anywhere else where preemptive strikes have bad consequences in the game?

I did take a preemptive strike against the swamp monster, only to find out later that she might have things she would sell -- but actually nothing that I wanted.

12. sirchet

WHAAA! You killed Mother?

Did you stop to think about all the little slimies that are gonna grow up without her evil motherly care?

13. Legless

Right, after I sent my rogue in all invisible and stealthy I clicked on some baddies. They replied "Oh who's there I can't see you", then their names appeared over their heads. I did it for each to confirm they all were there then withdrew. After that I attacked and was arrested on return to Verbobonc.

Then I reloaded, as this was in my mind, wrong, and this time I sent the rogue up till I got paralyzed and as soon as there was a break in the dialogue for Abbsalom start laying on the buffs, my rogue turned invisible and withdrew, even though she was "paralytic" . Once back at the entrance to the clefts where my main party waited, I attacked.

SPOILER ALERT - this is how my level 11 party won with next to no damage (I don't know how to that hidden text thingy)

I used stinking cloud to stop the casters from casting followed by cloud kill, summon huge earth element as a block, bardsong inspire courage, then cast over the next 2 rounds 2 globes of invulnerability , one one my fighter and the other on my barbarian so they took no further damage, but also couldn't fight back. My second sorcerer was flinging fireballs and ice storms at the casters and bowmen, and the druid used call lightning. My bard cast a silence as well, and then she and the rogue, who is equipped with a crafted Elemental Longbow, +3 plus area fire and ice, took out the 3 front men who were attacking the invulnerable tanks.

14. Legless

Yay, she wasn't slaving she was recruiting innocents and turning them into bad bad Chuckies.
    What can I say, my party isn't evil;) The balance must be maintained......the Cuthbert way!

15. sirchet

I didn't for a minute think he was actually showing a video, (well maybe just a minute) but I was under the impression that he was handing me the hand drawn sketches of the people I was to apprehend, or kill.

It might just be my DM, but usually when we are sent to get someone we get a hand drawn sketch.

It's weird that last night's session was our team setting up an ambush for someone we had to "Get" and my dwarf's job was to make a positive ID of him from the sketch.

Btw, a bad roll almost had us grabbing the wrong guy. ;)

Is it possible to add an intelligence, lore, or maybe even a tracking check to when we first see the slavers?

Our Host!