Problem with Reactive Temple

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Groo the Ambler, May 1, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

The Reactive Temple effect is a great idea and represents a lot of work. I just strongly disagree with making the death of faction leaders a trigger condition. (Romag asks you to kill Belsornig, then freaks out when you actually do it.)

What file governs this, and could it be modded to remove the condition, or failing that, to disable the Reactive Temple?

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

If a high standing figure of authority in your society was killed, wouldn't you be on the defensive immediately? Especially considering the temple is full of evildoers who know they aren't popular?

3. Groo the Ambler

Not if I'd ordered his death. My point is it ought to be possible to play through the temple quests quietly without triggering reaction, including the assassinations.

4. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

That makes sense. It wouldn't hurt to add an exception to killing specifically that target for that quest to the reactive mod.

5. Groo the Ambler

Actually such an exception does seem to exist. On replaying some save games, I realize that it is not Belsornig's death that triggers Earth Temple Reaction, but the death of Alrrem. Likewise, Belsornig does not react to Alrrem's death, since he ordered it.

Still, I think the faction leader trigger condition is bad even with these exceptions. In the past I've been able to complete all the Temple quests with a stealth party, doing no more damage than the quests require, and gain permission to visit the Greater Temple while leaving the others undisturbed. This is no longer possible, and I think it ought to be an option.

The sequence is this:

1. Meet Romag. Do Snake and Letter quests, get Assassinate Belsornig quest.
    2. Meet Alrrem. Do Troll and Ogre quests, get Golden Orb quest.
    3. Meet Kelno. Do Recruit and Desecrate Earth quests. (Originally the Desecrate quest would not trigger combat.) Get quest to kill Alrrem or Belsornig.
    4. Meet Belsornig. Get order to kill Alrrem.
    5. Give Golden Orb to Alrrem, completing Fire Temple Quests, then kill him and take it back.
    6. Report Alrrem's death to Kelno, completing Air Temple Quests.
    7. Report Alrrem's death to Belsornig and do Kill Guards quest, completing Water Temple Quests. Then kill Belsornig.
    8. Report Belsornig's death to Romag, completing Earth Temple Quests.

All this ought to be perfectly in the spirit of the game, since all the faction leaders are depicted as being insanely arrogant and over-confident.

Isewein likes this.
  6. Groo the Ambler

Okay, I guess I could have figured this out on my own - though I am a scripting noob, I have experience at tampering with stuff written by people who know a hundred times more about it than I do.

It's possible that the trigger is not working as it was intended to, and if so this may give a heads-up.

In py00439script_daemon, the last condition for Earth Temple alert reads:

Unless the comment is outdated, the ET should alert only if you kill another leader before completing Romag's 2nd Quest. My testing confirms, though, that the ET goes on instant alert when you kill Alrrem, even if the 2nd Quest is complete.

I changed it to "return 0". Now Romag no longer reacts to Alrrem's death.

Our Host!