Popups

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Cerulean the Blue, Oct 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Shortly after Sol redid the format on this site, I started having popup ad window opening up at regular intervals when on this sight. I have checked for adware on my system (none found), and it only seems to happen on this site. My popup blockers (two of them) aren't stopping them either. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

nope, can't say I've got that problem. no popups for me here

3. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

What kind of popup is it?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

None here, just using XPs pop-up blocker.

Edit: No little bar along the top indicating its blocking them either.

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Of course, I have been on the site all day and I haven't had a popup since I started this thread. WTF?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad I could help :D

7. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

If you get popups, message Taluntain. He'll deal with them.

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I get pop up's too, they say "powered by ZEDO"? among other things, is that what your getting blue?

9. Croix

Croix Member

I also get those fake "Is your hardrive infected with spyware?" on top of what your getting Allyx. This is after I take my pop-up blocker off.:dizzy:

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Damn Popups

Okay, these friggin' things continue to be a problem now and again. Let's use this thread as the formal notification site to Taluntain of the popups we get.

Today's popups:

Powered by ZEDO http://c5.zedo.com/jsc/c5/ff2.html?n=454;c=29;s=11;d=16;w=720;h=300

Search Inqwire http://inqwire.com/index_tiny.asp?st=6755&sc=807&lc=18&ld=9&sf=1&flc=3&fld=15&sp=0

Smiley Central http://www.strawberry-red.info/def/45/5007.html

5010 http://www.strawberry-red.info/def/45/5010.html

Post yours! It's fun! :dance:

Edit: The above links are provided for Taluntain specifically. The rest of you, do not click on them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  11. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i get one once and a while(the is your hard drive infected by spyware,like i would use a company which uses intrusive ads like that), unless i turn zonealarm ad blocking to high.
    I recommend ad-aware se personal for spyware(ect), of all i tested it worked best. it is the free version so it will not block incoming though.

12. Croix

Croix Member

I second your advice on ad-aware se personal. Works wonders with AVG too:pinkkirby

13. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Forgive me for being a bit frustrated here, but some of those pop-ups are apparently malicious. Approximately 2PM, Eastern Standard Time, I left my computer on and open to the ToEE forum while I went to take a shower. When I came back, something had apparently self-installed, and I had ridiculous numbers of pop-ups on my screen.

Now, I also use the free version of Ad-Aware, and McAfee's online FreeScan, since I'm an atypically safe user (and cheap). However, for the first time in my 20+ years of computing, I am now infected. I mean, I was using the internet before it was called the internet, and hypertext hadn't even been imagined yet. Heck, some of you may not have even been born yet.

No big deal, since I'll just re-format, but it's more than a little bit frustrating to have this happen here.

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

e-Trust Pest Patrol (Computer Associates) works wonders. I'd picked up a few, too, but this completely removed them all; even those damned toolbars.

15. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

yeah i am using avg as my virus scanner now. have to turn email virus scan off it conflicts with zonealarm pros version(since the latest version anyway). i am also a long time user who remembers the preinternet years.

lord-spike is that program free or how much? i believe i bought there virus program and it did not have any dats, they had to be downloaded from internet and at that time i only had dial-up(24 bps i believe,very slow any way).

If you get those pop-ups you may want to shut them down using the x in the corner, a brother of mine had one a couple of years ago which automatically subscribed him to a magazine when he clicked no on it. they tried to charge him, he of course told them to shove it.

Our Host!