Once and For All, Solving NPC Hostile on Leave

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by moralgay, Jun 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Have you experience this issue and like to see solution?

1. Yes, I've had this problem and definitely would like a comprehensive fix.

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No, I've never had this problem.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Yes, I've had this problem and but it's not a big deal.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

Dear Co8,
    I keep having my NPC's go hostile on my when I tell them to leave my party and before it was when I accidently attacked one sometime, somehow and had to respawn the character but prevented it from happening again by being real careful but now they all are hostile when they leave. I believe this may be due to me casting "Break Enchantment" on them some time back to recover them from Gorgon petrification and it being taken as a hostile spell (it's not hostile!!). Unfortunately I don't have a save before then.

My question is, aside from killing and respawning the characters (and messing up the game esp with Thrommel by doing so) or trying to make them leave somewhere else (some will only leave certain places and thus remain hostile forever after), or removing the Butcher of Homlett reputation when you don't even have it and thus doesn't work, is there no way to change the flag back from hostile to friendly for that/those npcs like via a simple hex edit?

This is obviously a very common issue that many people have had and caused may restarts or slow downs as they seek solutions. Please give us a solution that will work regardless, like a hex edit.:help:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Doing it in real time, like right when they disband, is possible via the console if you know what you are doing. Adding a san_disband script to each recruit-able NPC that adjusts there reaction to the party would be very easy. I already have such a script. If you would like to make me a list of all the recruit-able NPCs I could make it happen.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I've never seen the hostile npc thing, but I have a party of 8 with Meleny and the male pc she "married" is gone. I wanted to drop her off to go rescue the prince but I don't get the dialouge. I tried pc.follower_remove (npc) and it didn't work. Strange.

4. moralgay

UPDATE, ADDED PROTO NUMBERS. UPDATED LIST.

Ashrem: 14257
    Bertram: 14120
    Burne: 14004
    Cavanaugh: 14061
    Cavanaugh (The Begger): 14288
    Darley: 14268
    Darley (in real form): 14421
    Ed: 14209
    Ed (the other one): 14210
    Elmo: 14013
    Fruella: 14037
    Furnok: 14025
    Hruda: 14122
    Jaer: 14269
    Kella: 14236
    Kobort: 14028
    Lareth: 14060
    Meleny: 14035
    Morgan: 14196
    Mother Screng: 14121
    Oohlgrist: 14195
    Otis: 14149
    Paida: 14222
    Pintark: 14207
    Raimol: 14062
    Rufus: 14006
    Sargen: 14271
    Scorpp: 14272
    Serena: 14410
    Spugnoir: 14038
    Taki: 14270
    Ted: 14208
    Thrommel: 14234
    Tuelk: 14206
    Turuko: 14041
    Wicked: 14205
    Wonnilon: 14200
    Zaxis: 14639
    Zert: 14045

Thanks to GAEAR for reminder of other Bertram and the following:
    Frederic (Bertram): 14411
    Riana: 14114
    Pishella: 20203 (I end up spawning doors)
    Ronald Rinwratth: Could anyone tell me proto number for him?

I believe that's it... if I anyone knows someone I missed please post.
    (of course, if storyline wise they need to go hostile then they should, so script should be before any storyline script I think).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  5. moralgay

I highly doubt that as over the past two years I've fresh installed it countless times from 3 different disc versions, restarted perhaps 4 times, kept save games for a year going back to previous saves many times, formatted my set 4 times, restored about 3 of those times the save games from my external backup drive (where you restore Co8 and ToEE module folders from backup folder). No matter which system, which version, this problem eventually occured in various forms once an NPC is asked to leave the party, but of course not always. It always is the result of one of the following.

Either
    1. Because you hit them accidentally sometime ages ago, especially with AOE spell. (Elmo 1st NPC to go hostile with me for this)

2. PC/NPCs were charmed and hit the NPC in question while under influence of Charm/Dominate/Command/Suggestion/Confusion etc.

3. A beneficial buff was considered a hostile spell, unbeknowest to you till you test or upon asking them to leave. Rare, but always happens with Break Enchantment.

This is true under all patches I've played (full format between them) whether Atari Patch 1, Atari Patch 2, Atari Patch 3, or in last year or so, Atart Patch 1+2 + Co8 Patch most recent version up to 4 (have not used 5 alpha version).

But I could be wrong, I frequently am and that's how I learn. So if this is simply a bad install that can be fixed and thus continue on my way with my saved game I would be most merry and glad! :) Show me the solution. I've done all of the ones mentioned in first post at one point or another to fix and met their limitations as to when they work and when they don't.

It's a stupid bug, if something offends a good NPC enough to kill you they should leave the party immediately, not be all hunky dory and happy and adventure with you until one day your Paladin says thanks bro, take care and the NPC/Elmo smashs his axe in your face and as you slump and your bloodied vision sees him towering over you, he bends over and whispers in your ear "Remember Ally's burning hands that nicked me?... I do". Scruch-Splat...splat...splat. Game Over screen.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  6. Cerulean the Blue

Krunch, this is an old, old problem reported too many times to count. It has been going on since the game was released. It is not an install problem.

Wiz, what exactly did you try? It should have looked like this:
    Code:
    game.party[0].follower_remove(8015)
    though the "8015" might need to be "14035".

I'll get on implementing that script as time allows, though if somebody would look up the proto numbers for me, it would save some time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There's also Riana and Frederic Bertram, plus our own Pishella and Ronald Rinwratthi.

8. moralgay

Hey Cerulean the Blue,
    Just in case it was overlooked I've edited a post further up, a day or two ago, to include the protos numbers. Check it out.

9. Cerulean the Blue

Thanks MG. Just so you know, all the NPCs in the game are in the 14000s proto number wise. The 20000s are for descriptions only, and have no real proto entries. So the ones you list in the 20000s are not the actual proto ID numbers of those NPCs. I can figure them out though.

10. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

MG if you use a 20000 number, you will get doors, The door is used as a placeholder. Troika used to keep the game from CTDing if you typed in a number that does not have a prototype attached to it.

11. moralgay

Wow, no I didn't realize, thanks for letting me know... I was wondering why I was spawning doors... Anyway, I've edited the post above again and all are fixed except Pishella and Ronald Rinwratth... for some reason I can't find the real versions of those.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  12. Cerulean the Blue

Pishella is listed as Burne's Apprentice, and Ronald is in 5.0.0 only.

I've completed the mod, but for 5.0.0 only. It would take far too much work to make it available for 4.0.0 or 4.0.1. There are just to many changes too sort through.

13. moralgay

No prob. That's Awesome Cerulean! :D
    Thanks a billion! :) Well I can't wait for the official launch of 5.0.0 to use with my save game. Finally can have my NPCs, esp Thrommel, not attack (and avoid killing Thrommel messup). Thanks again, Cerulean, your service to the whole TOEE community is exemplary! :D I'm most grateful!

14. Cerulean the Blue

Oh, didn't you know? Old saved games are not compatible with 5.0.0.

15. moralgay

Yeah, I'm aware they're not at the moment, but I'm just assuming that since once 4.0 came out I could use it with my old saved games I can do the same when the final version of 5.0 is released :)

Our Host!