Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Please post any bugs you find here. Please

a) be as specific as possible

b) try not to use this thread to discuss things that are different but not bugs.

The following is a correctly posted bug:

"The provisioner has blank dialogue when you ask him about buying bulk weapons".

The following is an incorrectly posted bug:

"I was talking to an NPC and he had blank dialogue".

The following does not belong:

"The provisioner stands in his shop and sells to me by day, but by night he goes into the back room with his family and won't sell to me at all! Is this a bug?"

Remember there are over 20000 files in the Demo - go easy on us ;)

EDIT: Bug reports from official developers / testers can be posted in the private forum so this area doesn't become clogged with suggested changes / improvemnents as well as bugs.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The game freezes when in the NE corner of the Northern ruins, quest given by the young druid just inside the main entrance. First it slows down considerably, the members of my party blink in and out, a grey shadow appears on the lower right corner briefly covering about 25% of the screen.

I will see if I can pin-point exactly where the slowdown starts.

3. Shiningted

Heh - it took some of the testers weeks to find that Druid.

Sounds like I missed a sector-sort: I'll have a look at it Sirchet.

EDIT: So (without giving out too many spoilers) you've been into the ruins? Can you re-trace your steps back out again and see if that replicates it when you are back where you first started?

4. Yarazin

Yarazin Member

Hi, hopefully this counts as a bug.

Im on my third attempt and I have received this error each time when I try to run the game from the KotBFE:

"0004: Error: One of the games folders cant be accessed! Make sure that no other application uses any of the game folders, then try again"

On the first two attemps, they were fresh installs + patch 2 installed, just as the instructions say. I do have .net ver 3 though. I also extract the mod to the root TOEE directory.

On the third attempt, I installed to a different computer that has the game installed and I have been using to play CO8 5.0. I did use the KotBFE, but the same error occurred when the module starts.

One other thing to note, in each instace after the error, the game starts. When creating a character though, I only have 37 portraits and if memory serves, they are the standard ones. The background music and the scrolling b&w pics are played. Also, the error does not occur when I run the mod again, but the portraits are still old.

Also, no other apps are running. I shut down spy and antivirus software. Only Nvidia desktop is in the system tray.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

I just finished a new install after removing .net ver 3. I will try it with just ver 2.

If I am missing something simple, I apologize. I've read the instructions several times, but I wouldnt put it past me to miss a crucial line.

Thanks,
    Yarazin

**Update

I tried again with .net ver 2, again with a fresh install + patch 2 and also the new KotB patch. Same issue, Im not sure what im doing wrong???

5. Shiningted

This is a Front End bug, not a KotB bug per se. Try THIS thread: you'll see its a not-uncommon error caused by something else on the computer interfering (sometimes, its just double-clicking the icon, opening 2 Front Ends then closing one). Good call on turning off the spyware and anti-virus stuff though :thumbsup: But in any case I don't see the problem - if the game runs, it runs.

As for the portraits: alas, you should only see the original portraits. The promised '50 new portraits' from the Player's Guide was what held up the initial release for the first couple of days (until we decided to go ahead and release without them). We had a mess of new PC portraits custom-made by professional graphic artists for the mod, but the developer in charge of preparing them for the game was not able to get them ready for the release. My bad for not amending the Player's Guide before release - and again, well done for actually reading the manual :)

6. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

It's not even a bug as such, since when the Front End code runs without any interference, it runs perfectly. Personally I've never had any of those repetitive 0002 or 0004 issues, but a lot of people seem to report that issue. It seems to be mostly caused by the interference of the anti-virus or firewall software, or some other software that locks the folders and/or files in the ToEE folder.

There *may* potentially be a troublesome part in the Frontend code that, if recoded, may lead to this becoming a non-issue. However, it's incredibly difficult to trace this error when it doesn't happen to me. I still have to figure out a way to reproduce this bug or to see what technically causes it, and I still have to repair my main PC first before I can get down to coding and testing. ;)

I've been chasing this problem for about a year or so, but haven't been able to get rid of it altogether. I'll certainly give it another try in the future.

- Agetian

7. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

i read the plater guide to kotb...but i didnt notice anything about the shopmap.....when i loaded up i noticed the jade empress wasnt there only the traders...i had to console in a helm of teleportation just to get to the keep...iz this a bug?

i didnt realize the middle merchant had the option to go to the keep.....i never saw the dialogue......must have missed it im tired havent been to bed yet

8. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Ummm the merchant in the middle should take you to the keep.
    Perhaps Jade Empress should be added to provide a sort of a
    link between ToEE and KotB as well as prevent people from having
    such problems. I remember I was fooled once too back in the days
    before the demo's beta.

9. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

2 CTDs so far.
    The first was during a rest at the inn's top floor; I did 5 of 11 days first (to see if the WW inn upper floor half-time-heal was still in effect), when I did the next six, hello desktop!
    The second was trying to enter the inn after finding (not exploring, too beat up) where the nest is, just after some sword polishing.

Pathing is odd; distances are limited to about the screen view as opposed to moving from one side of Hommlett to the other with one click.

I'm glad I read the manual, I would've been tempted by "finder's keepers"!

KotB is VERY impressive! Woo hoo!

I'm running a Dell Insp 9300 w/ the 256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 and Win XP Home. TOEE was always fine except for the typical slowdowns, secret doors (occasionally), and random encounters spawning out of reach.

10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

ToEE is known for it's poor pathfinding system, Agetian
    already improved the nodes in the Keep map, so unfortunately
    this issue is not (at least yet) fixable to a point where everyone
    would be satisfied.

11. bigron

bigron Member

I get a CTD when I enter the Pub at Night. Daytime no problem. I have not picked up any npc in my party.

12. Shiningted

Yeah I've had a few CTDs entering the pub byself, but nothing I can replicate - I'll open a save, go in, it'll crash, then next time I'll try again and it'll be fine. As Ag said above, makes it hard to trace the problem, but I'll give it a go :)

As for the Inn - not sure why that one is happening but I'll look at that too.

Good news about the pathfinding - Agetians' pathnode file seems to be missing from the Keep South map. Not sure how that happened but it means its something we can certainly improve :)

FIXED

I'll get onto that, and the CTDs and see what I can find. Keep the feedback coming folks :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

OK, you asked...

*************POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******************

The dialog with the hermit in the Northern Oaks Woods. Selection number two says;
    [Roll on ground like a puppy to indicate you are now threat to him] Did you mean no threat to him?

FIXED.

Main Gate Town Map looks like a second floor interior room.

Young Black Dragons wings are not attached to his body, they are only partially showing. The wings appear invisible from the shoulder to the elbow.

Many items in the Lizardman Hunting Grounds show up while pressing the tab key, but are not lootable. I was able to pick the lock on a sunken chest but was not allowed to open it.

When enemies attack it shows the ai, an example...melee charge (22), this is pretty cool, but it also shows reverted, or default. Just thought I'd mention. :)

**************ENDS SPOILERS********************

I really liked the way you've handled skinning prey. :)

The issue I reported in my first post seems to be affecting that specific party only, it was a party of characters from 5.0.0 and I think one of them had the newer sound set.

I have been running a completely new party, created in the KotB game, and have not been able to reproduce the problem. What's worse I read the manual TWICE! D'uoh.

Great job you guys! and Gal! :dance:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  14. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Spoilers Possible!

AI issue? -After conversing with the boss in the Th___, the two guards at my back never attacked. They were going to let me pass back outside, but I was feeling frisky.

15. Shiningted

@ Sirchet - the ai floatlines are still in their testing faze so I left them showing: they will be switched off when I am confident I have implemented them properly. They are something Liv only developed a few months ago and are a massive change to the game. 'Default' and 'revert' are legitimate variants though.

Re the Lizardman Hunting ground stuff - not to insult you, but you weren't trying to pick them up with an NPC were you? But I'll certainly test them.

@ sps49 - thanks for not giving out spoilers, but I need way more info than that ;) PM me :)

Our Host!