NPC looting fix

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by JHunz, Nov 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
?

What do you want?

1. Post-patch looting is fine. Leave it.

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Put it back like 1.1.0, so they loot only half of the gold

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. Even that's too much. Remove looting entirely so as to remove any last trace of individuality from

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. I don't care, I don't use NPCs.

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. JHunz

JHunz Member

Okay, the NPC looting fix was removed with the advent of 2.0.0 because Troika made some modifications to the way they loot things. However, I've seen some complaining about this still. What do you think is the best way to handle this?

2. Shadowkat

Shadowkat Member

If you do go with the fix again, give the option to choose beteen it and the post-patch method. Personally i don't have a problem with the morons looting, reminds me of some tournament games i've played at cons.

3. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

all i want is to be able to see their stats, equip them and to have them not loot.

I think they should still advance upon their pre-determined course

4. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

I have no problem with NPC looting to medium encumbrance
    BUT, what I have read so far is that they are now NOT selling the items they pick up at stores, they shouldn't sell their own gear but they should sell the junk they pick up..as long as that works it's pretty realistic-

5. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

We should probably issue a post-patch fix for the looting. Can any of you guys *of the co8* try and figure out a way for them to loot only gold and GEMS and nothing else, but boost their looting percentages to higher levels to accomodate to this change (as they dont loot items). I don't want NPCs to feel like slaves.

6. Shadowkat

Shadowkat Member

Just got an idea on the looting, don't know if it's possible to do though. Have them loot according to how their alignment would dictate, ie. good npc's not looting al that much, neutrals abit more, mostly things they could use, and leave the evil looting like they do now... after all they ARE greedy bastages who demand their share of the loot.

7. Ausir

Ausir Beholder Overseer Veteran

They may be good, but not stupid - why should good NPCs want no loot?

8. Shin

Shin Established Member

Hmm... as I posted earlier elsewhere, first, we can add OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP under Item Flag column in proto.tab for nearly all items. This way, they'll stop looting useless things such as leaher boots, leather armor, bugbear shield, rusty longsword etc. Just make sure you don't put this flag on the golds and gems. :D

Second, if you want grant more golds for the balance (which I disagree... :) ) you might consider give them same looting behaviors as Burns or Rufus, ie "one_third_of_all" or "one_fifth_of_all" flags under share amount flag. I disagree with this because the game's looting system was broken to begin with, NPCs should thank me for preventing them from taking uselss craps. :D

Oh and make sure that there are more NPCs that don't loot, such as Meleny (she's PC's truthful wife, why bother? eh) and Selena (she's such an ungrateful bitch for the moment)

9. zoar

zoar Member

Have it so the NPCs only loot gems and money. 50% is way too steep, imo, especially in the early game when money is tighter.

I also agree that certain NPCs (slaves, wives, etc. hehe) should have looting turned off entirely, they're not as mercenary as other NPCs.

Another option, but more work, is to have a couple of options the players can choose from as to the level of NPC looting.

Zoar

10. rex_blade

Here's my point: If my adventuring party hires any NPCs (or marries them for that matter) then we are a <I>team</I>. And it is then in the best interest of all members of said team that everybody be equipped as well as they can. Making everyone safer because all chars and NPC can perform at peak efficiency so that nobody dies, making the team weaker and then decreasing everyone else's chances for survival. Now since the NPC AI does not consider :

"hey, I picked up a cloak of Elvin kind, and I have a rouge in my team... perhaps I should give this cloak to the rouge so that she can sneak better and thereby get the drop on somebody that might otherwise kill me or somebody else in the team, which would mean I'd have less of a chance of getting out alive...." etc.

I should be able to decide who gets what so that everybody has the greatest potential for living. I doin't care how greedy/evil a character is, they are still going to be looking out for their safety first.

Obviously however some NPCS are in fact mercenaries and need want some pay back. Thereby they could take their fair share of the gold, plus any items on their person when they leave, that share could be calculated by how much XP they've earned for the party since they have joined. I'm not sure if that's possible, or if the game even calculates each cahracters XP value...

And I agree, wives should not loot becuase if you chose to take them then that means that you want to keep them alive anyway (with a probable exception for Fruella) so they don't need to steal.

Lastly I don't think that removing looting strips NPCs of thier individuality, as you still can no determine how they level up.

11. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Now that we ahve some of that sorted out, who wants to do it?

12. rex_blade

i might be inclined to do it, hoever i can't download any of the tools or mods

13. Shin

Shin Established Member

I can.

So before I start working on the proto.tab, let's make it clear. :)

so what we want is :

NO_NPC_LOOT flag on every normal item

NO_NPC_LOOT flag on every magic item

NO_NPC_LOOT flag on every potion

No loot at all for Meleny and Selena (have any others in mind to add the list?)

14. rex_blade

Shin, can you email me the setup files for ToEE extract and phalzyr's protoed?

Thanks

eamil: rex_blade634@comcast.net

15. Shin

Shin Established Member

Our Host!