Next new module?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Allyx, Nov 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey, Wizards of the coast are uploading updated clasic modules! Perhaps once the KoTB is done we could try this one!

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

My suggestion's not really a module, per se, but I'd love to see the original Pool of Radiance redone. It'd be fairly easy; just a recreation as opposed to an implimentation.

Maybe we should decide on and schedule the next 10 modules, to be released Jan 01, 2006, Feb 01, 2006, and so on. ;)

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

While indeed a classic, and one of the truly most perplexing modules ever written, the Tomb isn't really suitable for this. It'd be damn short, for one thing...and there are too many effects that couldn't be modded in a way that's fun to play. This module was designed as a death trap for use in a convention setting to score players on how far they got...before they died. Return to the Tomb has shit in it that is beyond even that.

For the next one, I'd like to see the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. Combat heavy initially, then a crawl with lots of cool things following on. Including a Wand of Force.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Tomb at least I own ;) It would be a challenge to do well... but with the picture book we could do some really accurate maps (or someone with artistic skills could do some accurate maps ;))

Perhaps we should finish KotB first?

5. Balqisat

Balqisat Member

How about the Amber Castle or The Original Ravenloft, with the 3.5 rules of course?

6. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

You guys are depressing me. How about encouraging a few more people on the boards to chip in on the mod we're already doing?

(estimated final release 01/15/12)

7. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Hello, this is my first post here. First of all, congratulations on your work, people. I was wondering whether it would be possible to build a mod based on The Bard's Tale. It was the first RPG I ever played (on Amstrad 6128, if anyone remembers the machine) and I found it so compelling, that I recently downloaded BT2 and 3. I restarted playing BT2, I didn't much like 3, though. What I really liked was the fact that spell casters had to pay in order to learn new spells, not just get them through experience.

8. Shiningted

Well, I can certainly do something based in Skara Brae, but it may not be Bard's Tale :icon_chuc

9. ioannis76

Hey, what the heck, I finished BT1 when I was 16, or something. It doesn't have to be BT, Shiningted, thank you anyway. What I would like to see is, OK, Skara Brae too, but also the feature of 'blocking' the learning of new spells and until such time as the spell caster has gone to the Spell School and has payed to acquire the new spells. I don't see how this could be done. In BT, you had groups of spells, so when you became a conjurer level 3, for instance, you learnt 4-5 specific spells. Maybe what could be done would be to pay for each spell separately. So, if you become a conjurer level 3, you could pay 1000 gold for this spell, 1000 for the other, etc, or the price may vary. However, this would 'negate' the intuitive nature of spell learning of our sorcerers.

10. Shiningted

hey sure its something to keep in mind, I've said in the past I'd like material components... maybe one day we can have a mod where the various classes really have to quest to level-up (find a trainer, guild etc). It'd be good :)

11. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

A quest to level up at levels 3, 6, 9, etc. would be fun and not too hard to implement, except for the party aspect of the game. In a party of 6 characters, would you really want to go to 6 different guilds for 6 different "leveling up" quests?

Also, I would think that type of quest should be performed solo. Sounds more like an NWN idea than TOEE.

12. ioannis76

@screeg
    I was thinking more about the spell casters. What I meant was that the spell casters only would have to go to a guild in order to learn new spells, but now that you 've mentioned it, it sounds good. Hmmmmm.... would adding some new animations for the critical hit be entirely out of the question? that wouldn't add much except to spice up the game, but teaching the new feats? A guild of warriors where your fighter could actually test abilities such as cleave?

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Arena of Heroes is the way to go in Hommlet. They'd all hang out at the Wench, the Tower, or perhaps the Manor House. Training time would get cut back, and there'd be no need to head for Verbobonc; although this too has merit...especially in the realm of side quests.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think they're talking about KotB here, but that idea sounds very good for ToEE. I always liked that aspect of the goldbox games. Train & level, instead of just become magically more capable.

That would also add a twist - no leveling until you get back to town. So no more overnight moathouse spider tower levels. ;)

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Blegh. I've always hated the training rules. In the gold box games it would drive me nuts to have to leave in the middle of a dungeon to go back to town and train so I didn't miss out on any XP. (IIRC, if you hadn't leveled up yet, you could no longer gain XP once you hit 1 below what you needed for the level beyond that until you went and trained.)

Our Host!