Newbie TOEE Modding questions.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by MajorTomSawyer, Mar 17, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. MajorTomSawyer

MajorTomSawyer Archivist of Mods

So I had an idea to expand a few things in the game (including the brothel), and I wanted to ask about how hard it would be here first.

Working title of the mod: MTS' TOEE Crappack (after my BG2 modpack).

#1 Need to place a non-joinable NPC in Hommlet and/or Nulb to recruit the players on the path. She will ask the PCs to help save her village. They have been waylayed by orcs, and the men have all been killed, and they women are being held prisoners for nefarious reasons.

This would require a quest log entry, and a spot marked on the map.

My thought was using the burned out map area from the last area from the Welkwood Bog (Lame to steal another's area, but I am no artist, so I could not design a unique map on my own).

Now, I do not know how hard it is to add an area to the game map, so perhaps I could substitute a note that enables auto travel like with the final bit on the moathouse respawn? I am hoping for the former, as I would like players to have the option to return (more later).

#2 The players go fight a bunch or orcs, and in one of the buildings are the surviving women. The widow of the mayor thanks you (maybe a rep for this?), but asks for more help. The village is in ruins, and with the men dead their tribe of (working on a name) may be doomed.

So, the PCs can donate some money witch will help (what I would love is if you could donate more than once, and perhaps the village gets restored a little each time, maybe an inn, a couple of minor shops, and maybe even another home for the players. Ideally, each time you give her money, you get to select what will be rebuilt. I was thinking of maybe the cost could be cut by 75% or something, on the PCs staying to help with the construction (fade to back and maybe a week's time advance?).

There would be an archer, that could sell bulk (like three digits) arrows, quarrels, and sling stones, but such a large order would require the players to retrieve large amounts of stone and wood. I was thinking for that, they would have to travel to Deklo Grove, and maybe make one of the trees, clickable? You know, have them pick up a block of wood (same with some rocks).

Where the Snake Pit ties in, is perhaps the Madame could ask the players for help recruiting more women? The unnamed village that may or may not ever exist in the game would be a good place to look, right?

So the players go there, and find a girl or two, that would be willing to work there (persuasion type dialogue, and reminding them they can send back some of the money they make to help the village get back on it's feet).

So, how doable would this be? I would love to make it Co8 compatible (naturally).

Also, how willing would the experts here be willing to help me with this? Not asking for anyone to devote a ton of time, or joining the project. but I would probably need to ask lots of coding questions as I worked on this.

From what I understand BG modding is cakewalk compared to TOEE modding.

I have some other ideas, but I iwll hold of on asking about them till I get an idea of how hard the base idea would be first.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

All of that is definitely doable, I know, I did something similar with the first incarnation of the Verbobonc mod, the tools to manipulate all the files you require are available on the forum now, while I was modding the tools we had were buggy and in places inaccurate (ProtoEd).

Progression in my mod and development of Agetian's Worldbuilder tools went very much hand in hand, as I encountered problems modding, Agetian developed tools to help me, and likewise discoveries by Agetian were tested and tried by Modder's like me and Ted with feedback to Agetian to make the toolset even better.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This sounds way cool, very much something I would want to play. I like quests that sensibly move you toward something, even if it is just, "go mine some metal so I can make you a magic sword". Infinitely better than, "help my dad and sister get married then you can marry me and a magic sword will just come into it somehow!"

Re inclusion in the Co8 modpack (such as it is going forward), there is an expectation of maintaining the quality, and not unbalancing the game. But otherwise it could just be an add-on pack. Go for it either way :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
Our Host!