New to Temple of Elemental Evil, Strange Game-Stopping Bug Encountered

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Varwulf, Mar 3, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Varwulf

Varwulf Member

I apologize for a shameless copy/paste from another forum. I am sure I'll get around to a proper "welcome" post eventually, but I'm on the clock right now so here we go:

Greetings comrades and compatriots! Awhile back when I tried out Arcanum for the first time, I ran into an annoying issue where I could not scroll down in any UI element that required doing so at all, using the mouse wheel or the arrows to do so. I installed a mod/patch awhile back that supposedly fixed it but it never really fully fixed that issue (or others I had with the game) which eventually led to me stopping my gameplay and moving on.

I plan to get back to it eventually.

In any case, I finally got around to trying out Temple of Elemental Evil and I must say, I am enjoying the character creation screen so far - at least, except for one annoying issue. I have the same bug as described above. I found out soon after that it uses a modified version of Arcanum's engine and deduced that that must be the ultimate source of my maladies.

In any case, with that bit of information - is anyone knowledgeable enough with these games and their engine to perhaps point me in the direction of a potential fix? I'd surely be appreciative for any such aid.

Many thanks and appreciation for taking the time to read my little plea for assistance. Cheers and all that :)

PS - Installed Circle of Eight Modpack, and it actually broke it worse o.o; I cannot see what my stats are when I apply points to them, the box that usually has the stat's abbreviation in it is just blank.

Edit: Essentially, as soon as your cursor enters the area that can scroll up or down (a large list of options or items), and one attempts to scroll down or up either via the mouse or the keyboard, it will automatically begin scrolling up or down at a rapid speed and there seems to be no way to correct it. As soon as the mouse enters it just keeps scrolling and won't stop. This is the case for ToEE, and Arcanum behaves very similarly.

PSS - Forgot to mention I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Edition. Since my issue seems so rare, I'm starting to wonder. If I am using a program to route my mouse/keyboard movement/commands to the machine this game is installed on, could that be causing the issue? I play countless games and have only met problems using this program with one of them so far, and that was because it was an MMO with a built in cheating service that prevented me from doing so, but I suppose on an older game any sort of strange behavior may be possible.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I too am running Win7 64 bit.

The missing stat names are part of the new GUI and will be added eventually I believe, but for the time being you just have to know which blank represents which stat by looking at the smaller window to the lower left.

The scrolling issue has been with TOEE since I can remember and I merely click on the up or down arrow for scrolling purposes.

And Welcome to the forum Varwulf!

3. Varwulf

Varwulf Member

Thanks for the reply and explanation!

When you say click on the up or down arrows for scrolling purposes, do you mean on the keyboard or in the game interface? The interface does nothing, and now that I think about it I don't know if I tried it on the keyboard before. Might be worth looking into...

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I am referring to the arrows in the GUI, you could also click and drag the small bar between the arrows.

5. Varwulf

Varwulf Member

The problem is as soon as it starts the auto scrolling, everything else stops working.

It seems as long as I don't use the mouse scroll wheel it never starts auto scrolling, but this was only on one test so far.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. Varwulf

Varwulf Member

Yeah, I just did it again :p It is instinctive to use the mouse wheel, and as soon as I do I have to restart the game because all UI elements will begin automatically scrolling down or up depending on what I just did with the mouse wheel.

7. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Maybe it is your mouse that is causing the problem? Have you tried a different mouse (and or mouse drivers? I had the problem you describe ten years ago.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
Our Host!