New Release [2010/07/18]

Discussion in 'ToEE Engine Recreation Project' started by DarkStorm, Jul 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Hi everyone,

Superseded by http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=97577#post97577

You have to re-run converter.exe even if you have run it for a previous version.

There are a LOT of changes in this version:

Plays movies with sound (no subtitles/slides):
    [​IMG]

One man party for testing is created (with portrait). Utility bar is also there (although only townmap does something):
    [​IMG]

Console window to execute javascript directly:
    [​IMG]

Walkabililty overlay can be toggled from the debug-bar:
    [​IMG]

Redesigned dialog UI slightly, and made it much much more compatible:
    [​IMG]

Rudimentary buying from shops is now possible (selling not yet):
    [​IMG]

You can now open containers with a single leftclick and loot items with a double-click:
    [​IMG]

NPCs can now be recruited into the party and are transferred between zones:
    [​IMG]

There's now a worldmap that shows the known locations correctly (only the map part, no text on the right), actual travel via world map will come soon:
    [​IMG]

- Several quests can now be completed and have actual effects (e.g. the Cavanaugh quest makes him a beggar correctly. Although the timed event is executed immedeately right now).
    - True Neutral vignette is now the startup map, with correct transition to homlett via the coresponding NPC
    - Improved walking animations
    - san_heartbeat & san_first_heartbeat now fire correctly for mobiles on the current map
    - Lots and lots and lots of internal stuff (managed to remove 8 MB from libavcodec by recompiling it without unneeded codecs)

Please let me know what you think!

Controls (Exerpt):
    F10 - Screenshot (or the link on the bottom)
    Alt+Enter - Toggle between Fullscreen/Windowed
    Double-Click on Map - Center screen on position
    Click on Critter - Select critter / open container
    Doubleclick on Critter - Start dialog
    Rightclick on Critter/Object - Show dialog with all object/prototype information
    To scroll around the map, hold one mouse-button, then move the mouse around. It works like scrolling on Google Maps (for now, will change later).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I swear you're a genius. This looks fantastic! :clap:

3. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

I'm out at ComicCon this week, and then I'll dig in with playtesting as soon as I return. This looks great.

4. Salk

Salk Established Member

I am speechless!

Enormous improvement on the dialogue window! Excellent!

This is going to take the place of the original executable and will be the modding platform of the future once it's complete!

Congratulations!

5. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Amen to that!

6. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

DarkStorm,

Nice update!

Was able to run around Hommlet for an hour with Storm. I have found several issues and put them in this google doc

Most of the glaring issues were with the sound in the Bink movies and dialog. I noticed when I closed the game there seemed to be a lot of errors in the command window saying soemthing like, "trying to determine duration from bitrate, this may be an error" or something like that.

BTW, if you have a preferred way for me to post bugs (this form, your wiki, some bugzilla db somewhere, etc.) let me know and I can update there instead.

In other news: I picked up 4th Edition Tomb of Horrors today. I'm really geeking now.

7. DarkStorm

Thanks! Im already much further with the code in the git repository :) (Save games are working)

I'll take a look at it.

The "errors" printed are from ffmpeg (I use that for mp3 and bink decoding), and I think I have no influence over them, the actual decoding should be working now. But my audio engine really sucks. Sometimes the audio engine seems to start a runaway memory allocation, that results in spikes of 600MB, leading to no audio and bad performance. I'll really have to look into this, normal memory consumption should be around 100-200 MB, depending on the map.

Right now, google docs is fine, if you can, please include the logfile.

They seriously made a 4th edition conversion of that? ;-)
    I played through that in 2nd edition and it was horribly cheesy :D

Regards,
    Storm

8. DarkStorm

Let me adress some of your bugs here:
    Updating bink should have no effect on the playback of the videos, since I am using an open-source library for that (libav*.dll in the bin folder, if you're interested). My audio engine is absolutly horrible though, and in addition to that, I am using a very very bad way of synchronizing audio with video. To be honest, especially bink playback is very preliminary, and I am honestly thinking of throwing away my audio engine and writing that from scratch.

The x-ray effect is currently only triggered by clipping geometry (=walls, no other 3d meshes cause the effect). I am not entirely sure if I should extend the effect to other 3d meshes, but it is be possible.

And yeah, good spotting the missing "acknowledgement" lines :) I put that on my todo.

The walking and non-walking is probably the 3d positional audio, the listener position is at the center of the screen. The audible radius is currently hardcoded and may need some more tweaking. Can you try if you consistently hear the char walking if you keep your screen centered on him?

[go there immedeately] lines are not implemented yet, due to missing worldmap travelling functionality. I could hack around it by just teleporting there, but i have travelling on my shorter todo, so I'll get to it. Thanks for reporting anyway.

The Jaroo bit is very very odd... I have no idea how that could've happened, but I'll investigate.

About the UI bit: I guess some windows should be "exclusive" (i.e. the game should not allow them to be opened at the same time). Thanks for reporting, but I'll put that on the long bench for now.

Overall: Thank you VERY much. This is exactly what I was looking for :)

The next version will have "game time" (working time-bar on the utility bar, and working timed events + day/night cycles hopefully).

Regards,
    Storm

9. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Here's a link to eviltemple.log
    Here's a link to converter.log

Cheers.

10. DarkStorm

Hi,

I can't access either URL, can you explicitly share it with me? I PM'd you my email address.

Regards,
    Storm

11. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

I deleted files from Google Docs - blast you Google Docs :angry:- and emailed you directly.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but in my experience with normal ToEE, what appears to be properly centered positional audio is actually observed when the location where the audio is being generated (in this case, Smyth's anvil) is toward the top center of the screen.

smyth.jpg

In this example, if you scrolled down so that Smyth was at the bottom center of the screen, you wouldn't hear him at all. If Smyth was in the center of the screen, he would sound a bit faint.

So in normal ToEE, you can indeed have places on the screen where audio like footsteps, combat noises, etc. are not heard. That's always bugged me.

13. DarkStorm

Hm Gaear, I also think that the audible range of audio in ToEE is hardcoded and not dependent on your screen size, leading to very odd behaviour if you don't play at 800x600.

In addition to that, positional audio in a top-down 2D game is always... odd :)

My goal right now would be: Listener @ center, attenuation based on range. Inaudible a bit beyond visible range for normal sounds (and a larger range for the SOUND_XLARGE flags for certain prototypes).

Regards,
    Storm

14. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

More Updates.

Also listed in my Google Docs bug file:

• there does seem to be a relationship between hearing the sound and the PC being at the center of the screen - and it has to be dead center - note: that on the smaller, interior maps (e.g. Mathilde’s house) although it does fade as you get further from center, it doesn’t seem as prevalent, but in the big hommlet it is true that the pc must be in the center
    • Burne’s badger will respond with those “A:” when pressed for responses (I won’t mention any more of these as I presume you have a handle on what the fix needs to be)
    • new dialog box responses: I notice as you mouseover the responses, the mouse cursor will also select items behind the dialog boxes (doors, characters, etc.). the clicks only seem to affect the foreground window. Not sure if that will cause a problem later on
    • Had Elmo join me, and then he followed me into Welcome Wench. Once there, he and I were spawned on the same spot (very trippy effect...) - same with Turuko once he joined party as well
    • Gloria Gundergoot will have an “R:” in her dialog options as well as some that start with "B:" - not sure if that requires a different fix from the “A:” responses. Example, one of her responses also starts with a “B:I would be interested in sampling some of your fine food and ale”
    • Ostler (and Melany and Furnok and Turuko and Burne) their first comment didn’t play the audio file, but the 2nd and subsquent dialogs did. Strangely Kobort’s dialog played fine from the start. “Hmmm?”
    • Told Ostler that I caught Furnok cheating (after gambling with Furnok) and the dialog just exited.
    • in ToEE, the mouse cursor changes to a hand when hovering over doorway - also when PC enters house he’ll be over the doorway and you’ll have to move him to exit
    • my personal feeling is that you need the PC to go x-ray when going behind trees as there’s other objects in game he’ll go x-ray behind (under roofs, etc.). And, sometimes you come out of maps and you’re hidden as the map places you behind tree (like exiting the woodcutter’s house)
    • Jaroo: confirmed that on the first meeting of Jaroo you tell him about clearing the moathouse
    • opinion: I like that you can just click on a doorway way across a map and enter that location without having to wait for the PC to run across hommlet to get there.

Will email eviltemple.log

15. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I just started playing with the engine. Can we change it so that when you click Walkability X # of times it reverts back to no walkability map? I have to reload a map in order to get rid of it. I cant see my character with it on max.

I also just noticed that if I click Bro Smythe I control where he walks too. Is this supposed to be this way so that we can move NPC's in our mods?

Third thing I noticed is the goblin with Jays ring is in Hommlet right of the church. Is he supposed to be there? I loaded 5.8.0 before running the engine so I thought it might include 5.8.0 mods, but I guess it plays vanilla ToEE.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
Our Host!