New PC voices, get em while they're hot!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jun 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, ALL the new voices are now up! This includes the original 12, plus TWENTY more! And that 20 includes ALL the NPC voices from BG2 - all 16 NPCs, both Edwin voices, and Annah from Planescape. I have also thrown in another custom one (a sneaky, greedy dwarf, damn good fun!) and another movie one - where would Estel be without his Undomiel?

Best of all, Allyx has now worked the Undomiel voice to remove the movie soundtrack so it integrates much better. Estel to follow in due time.

The various 'amatuer' voices I got from a couple places on the net, credit where its due -

http://www.merrymeet.com:16080/voxpopuli/

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corridor/7261/

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors6.php

And all credit to their authors, who are generally included in the folders of the specific voices so you can see who they are. Also Gaear sent over a couple, (all prepared no less) thanks very much. We currently have 22 in the game and there are room for 64, so with my new ones thats 54 voices all up. Since the customs ones have generally been made for new NPCs in BG or wherever, they have slightly more 'attitude' than characters that the player is meant to directly have total control over. Frankly, thats a good thing! So they say interesting things like 'whats my motivation?' instead of 'yes sir', or 'forget it, its in the dirt' instead of 'my pack is full'. But (since we all know these get old pretty kwik) they also have a healthy abundance of normal, BRIEF responses. And the BG2 ones have HEAPS more 'yes' responses, 10-12 usually rather than the standard 5 (for ToEE) so they are a bit more interactive too.

O and some of them have potraits in them too :)

I have also done the voices of the NPCs 'Darley and Scorpp' as requested, so they are now available for PCs. They come with their control files integrated.

I will leave the final 8 for others to add as they like.

Note: if you have downloaded the original 12 and now want the new ones, you MUST reload the 'control files' zip. You must! It has changed!

-------------------------------------
    INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    -------------------------------------

Point the extract thing for 'control_files.zip' at Program Files\Atari\Temple of
    Elemental Evil and press go. It should put files in the following places (consider this the change log):

pcvoice.mes in Temple of Elemental Evil\data\mes

pcvoice.mes (a different one) in Temple of Elemental Evil\data\rules

pcvoice folder in Temple of Elemental Evil\data\mes

pcvoice folder (another one) in Temple of Elemental Evil\data\sound\Speech

and then the three packs can be unzipped into this pcvoice folder.

------------------
    KNOWN BUGS:
    ------------------

None really, though I have included voice files for many things that are erratic in ToEE and have been removed from normal PC vocals: particularly the comments on entering new areas (the Moathouse, the Deklo grove etc). So if you enter the church of St Cuthbert or the Weaver's house and hear, "this is the centre of all evil", just enjoy ;-). I am werking on a fix for the whole game in this respect and thought it was better to ship these files in hope of the fix, than to achieve the fix and have to get everyone to load the files again. If this really bothers you, just recruit an NPC and they will trump aything the PC has to say, as always. The 'usual' dialogue options, "Yes sir", "no sir", "my pack is full", "I seem to have died" etc all work fine.

Also, being amateur files, the volume sometimes gets a bit inconsistent. I know how to change the volume on the ambient sounds and background music, so if it is possible to change it for individual PCs I'll find it and do something. Otherwise, don't use the 'small town lass' if you think it will really annoy you. The others you will only notice inconsistency in the volume if you really try.

----------------
    LOCATIONS
    ----------------

The voices are packed in 3 zips, Custom Voices, BG male and BG female. They are all available here at Co8:

BG Males voices pack: http://files.co8.org/patch/BG2_pack_m.zip

BG2 Female voices pack: http://files.co8.org/patch/BG2_pack_f.zip

Custom Voice pack: http://files.co8.org/patch/Custom_voices.zip

And are also on a seperate server here:

http://savefile.com/projects/801017

And the control files (which you MUST download first!) are right here. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. halarious

halarious Member

very nice Shiny T.
    excellant stuff!

i thank you on behalf of all of us, who are modding impaired.
    may the god of mods keep your fingers nimble.

thanks

3. Shiningted

<sigh> 100kb limit, Exetium is helping me find a work around, gimme a few.

4. Shiningted

ok they're up!!!

Well thanks to some help from Exitium I have put the files on a free server: they are at

http://savefile.com/projects/801017

And also thanks to him for explaining how to put stuff on the server here, hopefully the whole lot will soon be available from both.

The names and descriptions are self-explanatory. Just download them and unzip into the equivalent numbered folder in the Temple of Elemental Evil\data\sound\Speech\pcvoice folder (u MUST unzip the control_files.zip above or these folders will NOT exist) and thats it!

Three kwik notes:

The gypsy girl has no dialogue for "I am encumbered" but is still worth d/ling, one of the more interesting voices. Likewise Cernd in the BG2 male voices pack has no "I am encumbered" line.

Estel and Undomiel are movie characters, for people who wonder what would happen if they downloaded their favourite sword-&-sandal movie star into the game. Lets just say, the voice works great, the movie soundtrack cutting in and out doesn't. Worth a look, especially if we can get the additional vocals going: theres something to be said for roaring and rampaging your way through the moathouse, coming out the back door covered in Lareth's blood (and having only lost your wizard, too) and having someone say, "by nightfall these hills will be roaming with orcs!" Allyx is working on removing the soundtracks, lets wish him luck.

Small Town Lass is a great voice but the volume is noticably lower, as I mentioned above. I only really included it for completeness.

Ok get downloading! And thanks again Gaear, Exitium, Lord Grayhawke and everyone else who helped or contributed or encouraged. Especially the poeple who actually did the voices!

Hey did u guys know Exitium is a dead ringer for Claire Danes? Don't let on I told you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  5. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Great job

Now I hope to see someday voiceset and subtitles (politically INcorrect and explicit language too) for a tough chaotic (evil) guy. And I mean truly badass kinda guy. The one who doesn't whine and cry when hurt (not even grunt, because that would be showing weakness too), doesn't cry for "Mommy" when dies - he would most likely just show the middle finger if he can't say any word. Or throw the meanest glare in the universe, if he has at least one eye left. Lotsa maniacal laughter in all appropriate (and inappropriate too:)) time would also help too.
    Because all the original voices are of sissies, or sissies predending to be 'tuff' or just trying to sound like someone else.
    And none of the descriptions of your new sets really fit what I'm looking for yet. :xeyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  6. Shiningted

Re: Great job

Ummmm dare i suggest this is stickyabubble? Or perhaps it should be moved to the 'Downloads' bit?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  7. Shiningted

One single bump before I upload the next lot.

<bump>

8. JamesTheLion

JamesTheLion Member

You can never have just one....

Bump

:pelvicthr

9. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

BUMP!

Oh, silly me! I'm a mod, I can sticky it! I should really do my job instead of :jerkin:

Oh, seems someone was faster than me. :giggle:

10. Shiningted

Great, now I have to carry through with that promise of posting more up here. :yawn:

11. Belgham

Belgham Member

Nice work, it adds variety to a list of boring voices in the original game.
    I actually like the warcry in Baldurs Gate series, but dont know if this can be implemented in a turn base game and how. Screams from Minsc and his space hamster is actually very hilarious, as well as the occasional speech he makes while travelling adds spice to the game.

'And the river runs red!'

12. Shiningted

Well, not to give away too much, but my next lot are better than 80% done and yes, that little fella does make an appearance...

13. Alatar

Alatar Member

Hey Shiningted, might there be a way to include a Maria Sharapova 'grunt' for a female voice? Am just watching Wimbledon and I cant help thinking it would be great to hear a Sharapova grunt from my female rogue when she sneak atacks... hehe

14. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Trying these out now. :)

Sultry and Outdoorsy Girl are both excellent. For some reason I'm not getting any sound with Gypsy, but I'll figure it out.

Any chance you might conider making the NPC voice sets available for PCs?

15. Shiningted

Ummm they are available for PCs? How are you using them, if not in your PCs? And lemme know how you go with the gypsy girl - there is a thing somewhere mentioning she does NOT have an "I'm encumbered" thing.

Alatar, I think I have just the files for you, gimme a day or so... :pinkkirby Not sure how to get em into a sneak attack though, more's the pity...

Edit: just realised what you were saying, u mean make Elmo and Meleny and all available for PCs? Ummm no, sorry... there is a limit of 64, I will do 54 (including the original 22 in the game) and leave the other 10 for anyone else who tries, but to just add the existing NPC voices for those last few would sorta defeat the purpose.

If you have a specific NPC u desperately have to have, well yeah I can quickly put something together for you, just let me know :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
Our Host!