Need help with patches! Thanks!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Verloc, Jan 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Verloc

Verloc Member

Let me preface this by stating that I have investigated possible solutions to my problem thoroughly here and elsewhere and read through the "solutions to common problems" thread, etc., and have not yet found what I need. Any help will be much appreciated.

I am running XP on a new Dell notebook I customized for gaming, so system specs should not be an issue. I have DirectX 9.0 and Windows Net 2.0 or whatever it's called installed. My version of ToEE is new, out of the box, and has no patches pre-installed that I can tell.

I first found my way here when I encountered the "Unable to Loot" bug. When I try to install patch #2, I get an error message that says "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match"...but then it looks like it goes ahead and update anyway. Then I can play the game but when I quit, I get a message that TOEE.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close, we apologize for the inconvenience, blah blah blah....then I get a further message that says, "The instruction at "......." referenced memory at "......." The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program."

OK, so then when I install Patch 3, it appears to work with no errors, but when I run the game it crashes to desktop after the Wizard of the Coast logo appears.

My TOEE.EXE file is 5 MB, so I thought I might have the problem where the dll file is bundled into the exe. So...I tried downloading various cracked copies, but none of those worked...I tried both patching and then replacing the exe with the cracked exe, and replacing the exe with the cracked exe first and then installing the patches. I also noted that on the cracked copies I found, the exe was still larger than 2 MB (it was 3.46 MB).

I have also tried installing all 3 patches in order. That seems to work until I run the game, and find that it crashes after the WoTC logo appears.

So, I really want to play this damn game, and if I have to I will do it with only patch 2 installed and my party will just be poverty-stricken....but it would be nice if someone were able to help me get to a point where I can install patch 3 or the Co8 front end thingy (although to be honest that kinda looks like a lot of work and something I should be able to mess up pretty easily).

Thanks!

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

before/after patching ToEE.exe

pre-patch1 = 5.00 MB (5,242,881 bytes)
    pre-patch2 = 4.91 MB (5,156,864 bytes)
    post-patch2 = 1.65 MB (1,734,144 bytes)

Do not apply patch3. Only use patch2.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Since you have already applied patch3, run patch2 overtop of the game.

4. Verloc

Verloc Member

Thanks! (Sorry for the delay; I was moving and w/o internet for a few days.)

The Front-End rocks! I am sorry I ever doubted it. Everything is working smoothly now.

Best,
    Verloc

Our Host!