my Tab editor

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Phalzyr, Jan 20, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

I made a version for Ausir that will accept multi-language files for it, he is doing polish translation. Is anyone interested in me posting that version here AND/OR doing some translation of the lng file to other languages?

2. silvannus

silvannus Member

Spanish translation

Hi, I'm new in the forum because now that mod 3.0.0 is out I'm enjoing the game much more. And as you have been doing such a great work I feel in debt.

I'm from Spain and my English is quite good so if you'd give me a pair of indications I can translate you editor.

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

If you do a Google search, you'll see that he's left us for modding NWN and D2 and is still posting actively on their boards this month.
    NWN provides proper tools and until Troika is willing to do the same, I don't see how we can really compete. Still I miss him all the same. [Waves furiously to attract attention] Come back, Phalzyr, we still wuvs j00!! :p

Anyway if you really do want to contact him, I'd try mailing him at DowningD@kasec.org.
    Oh and send him my regards if you do. :)

4. silvannus

silvannus Member

I've send the email with your regards :), thanks zhuge.

I've been thinking about translating the Co8 3.0 patch, but I'm not sure whether it is a huge work or just an ordinary pain in the neck.

5. zhuge

I'm glad and more than a little flattered that you find our mod pack worthy of translation. However, in this matter I've always felt that international versions of the official patches are the ones that matter most. With no official reply from either Atari or Troika on this issue I really hesitate to task anyone to translating our mod pack when the official patches haven't even been settled.

See these threads for more details:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=387738
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=338843&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

Still if you think you can manage translating the .dlg file modifications, you are most welcome to do so. Most mod pack work here was done on Mona (to enable the Brothel) and Brother Smyth (to enable masterwork items). v3.0.3 introduces a number of small modifications to various .txt and .dlg files but I believe most of these do not need translation.
    It is still quite a heavy task to check through all changes and translate if necessary so it's quite worth getting at least another person to code/recheck them to ease the burden.

EDIT: I remember Ausir was getting our mods ready to be compatible for a Polish CD Projekt. He is still active over at the rpgcodex forums (http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/) so you could liaise with him to get a better idea regarding the exact parts of the mod pack which require translation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I am currently working on an unofficial translation of the official patch 2.0 into German. The changes to .mes and .dlg files (which are the only ones that need localizing) are minimal. A very helpful tool in this context is Beyond Compare - it's shareware, but it makes comparing old & patched files so much easier.

The Co8 patch, however, is a more daunting task - note only does it add quite a bit of extra feat info which needs to be translated, it also adds the brothel back in. None of the brothel dlg files have been localised, however, so one needs to translate all the whores' conversations! Yikes. ;-)

7. silvannus

silvannus Member

So, if I've undestood everything, what I should do to translate Atari's patch is install the game, patch it, and unpack the .dat file and look for the files that have changed from the original installation.

And for the Co8 patch I just have to unzip the patch and translate the .mes and .dlg files.

Correct me if I'm wrong with something, and I'll begin looking for some help :).

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

@silvannus: For this to work, you'd need to have both the English & the localized version of ToEE. If that's not the case, I could give you some pointers as to which files have changed and stuff like that.

Basically, what you'll need to do is:

1. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat which is installed with the original game (English version). Keep only the folders dlg and mes, you won't need the others.
    2. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE4.dat which is installed with patch 2.0. Again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.
    3. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat (LOCALIZED version). Yet again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.
    4. Use Beyond Compare or a similar program to compare the original with the patched files and modify the localized files accordingly.

Attention: Apparently the translators didn't have the latest versions of the English files when they localized the game. There are quite a few differences in the dlg files - not too many in the conversations themselves (i.e. the text that appears onscreen), but a lot of scripting stuff.
    I wrote a macro that imports all dlg files into one single Excel file (it can export them too). Might come in handy if you really want to get into that dlg stuff!

9. silvannus

silvannus Member

Thanks for all the advice you're giving me.

I've completed the 2 first points, but the third may take me about a week since I was playing the English version and I only know one person who has the Spanish one.

The differences in the scripting are worth enough to be also updated? Once I get into the work I don't really mind spending a week more to do it well.

10. Phalzyr

:D I don't know what happened to ausir he never got back with me and while doing this for the spanish version I noticed a few bugs in ml support and a couple other minor ones. Once he we get the spanish version fully functional I'll see about posting a link to 2.4.3. Or submitting it in or whatever been so long not sure what to do hehe. Truthfully I haven't been anywhere board wise lately do to a very busy real life though I did do some NWN stuff. TOEE just seems to of died out modding wise due to what was mentioned above, I wish I had time for all games and work both but...

BTW I am still NOT getting email upon a reply....

11. zhuge

Phalzyr's back, yay! :)
    Saw JHunz on the Atari boards several days ago too (mentioned that he'd be replaying the game as well).
    Now if only we could get Dhoom and Mr Underhill as well...

Anyway, of course RL comes first, but it would be great to have a visit by the old staff once in a while, even if it's only to say hi and give a word of encouragement. :)

Btw, you have a PM, Phalzyr.

12. Phalzyr

I get emails about PMs :D just not reply to topics that I've told to send me an email when they relpy.... That is one of the reasons I haven't chacked this board often also .... I rely upon auotreplies to warn me when someone email on I topic I created... oh well

Version 2.4.3 is downloadable he still hasn't tested it for me but the only issue I'm concerened with is if it is "obj_t_" that the protos.tab starts it objects with... If it isn't then the header selection won't work but I'm pretty sure that was right anyone confirm this for me :) I don't have that file handy...

http://www.kasec.org/toee/ProtoEd2-4-3.zip

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
Our Host!