.... My CD's scratched.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dreaderr, Jun 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dreaderr

Dreaderr Member

Well i bought TOEE back when it first came out, but kinda ignored it after playin for a few hours because of all the bugs. I ran across this site a week ago or so, and spent a few days searchin for my CDs. Anyway, the intall disc is fine, but the play disc is scratched, not bad but apparently enough. Anyway, it installed on one computer, but i >.< deleted it because i installed patch 3 by accident. So when i go to reinstall it it stalls on hommlet-cn.bik and wont go any farther and the drops to desktop with a "ComponentTransfer error D : /data3.cab Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check.)

Anyway ive been tryin to figure out a way to get that file off the cd without having to reinstall it everytime. (it deletes all the files after it drops back to desktop.) Seriously I just wanna play but i cant because the stupid cd doesnt have a "repair" install or realizes that the movie file isnt even necessary.

I've figured out that if I can copy the files and reinstall over top of them, setup will jump to the hommlet-cn.bik part on disc 2, and i was thinking if i had hommlet-cn.bik already installed it might skip past the scratched part.

So any thoughts/ideas on my problem would be helpful. And yes it is the disc, and yes i have tried it on other computers. Doesnt work... Wish i hadnt deleted it that first time.

So...thxs

2. kio11

kio11 Established Member

uhm
    you can buy a new game or order it on ebay
    careful tho buy the most trustworth looking one

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You should be able to find it in the bargain bin somewhere, or you could buy the direct to drive version, for some insanely high price, and then have problems installing the patches to it instead. ;)

4. Dreaderr

Dreaderr Member

Theres no way to open the data3 on the cd?

and theres no way im goin direct to drive lol. XD

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Go to Wal-mart. It's ten bucks or less there.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You can even order it ONLINE (from Walmart).

7. Dreaderr

Dreaderr Member

lol aight i get it. Sigh, was just hopin there was a way to fix it without buyin another copy. prob head over to walmart someday this week. Anyway, whos ever admin can close/lock/erase this thread. No reason to keep it open and clutter up the forum.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you could see if you local video store has a CD/DVD cleaner, I know mine does, it buffs the scratches right out.

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

[Best John Cleese voice] I will not buy this game. It is scratched.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

Anyway, the game costs something like 5 dollars, don't be a cheapskate,
    and it's worth much, much more.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Especially with the KotB demo nearing completion, it's like buying 2 games fro the price a fast food dinner for one - and it'll last a little longer than the food will too. :D

11. sodori

sodori Member

Greetings to everyone. (Finally brought myself to join the forum, heh...)

Anyway, being a slight cheapskate I am, I would like to offer a somewhat dubious (and desperate) possibility to fixing the scratch. As such, only attempt this when you have no other alternatives or you are (like me) just lazy to leave the house.

>>

First check if the 'scratch' is nothing too serious. You can check this by holding the CD under light and see if any light passes through the CD (in which case you are screwed.)

Secondly, check where the scratch is. If it is on the label-side of the CD then you are again screwed. Surprisingly if it is scratch on the data side there is chance for reclaiming the CD.

Now, if the CD is fix-able, you can take following steps.

Ingredient
    - Soft cloth, lint-free
    - White Toothpaste (i.e. no gel, no colour and no exotic additives)
    - scratched ToEE CD

1) Clean the CD with cloth gently. Sometimes this is actually enough to get it working again.
    2) If not, apply small amount of toothpaste on the cloth and give a thorough wipe across data side of CD. Make sure to wipe from the center of the disc to the rim. (i.e. circular is a no-no)
    3) Clean up with wet cloth and dry it. Make sure CD is clean of any toothbrush before you test it.

Hopefully this should work. The Idea is that a CD relies on a laser beam to read the metal layer and scratch over the surface usually means a scratch across plastic layer above the metal layer. This means actual data should be intact and recoverable if scratch on the plastic layer can be fixed. Small polish present in toothpaste should provide solution to it.

You could attempt this with other brass polishes, but I have not given a try on that so I can not comment how effective it would be.

Hope it helps.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Sometimes, it is easier (or better) to buy a new CD disk. You can try cleaning your CD disks, too, before attempting to fix them or buy new CD disks.

-> "How To" clean your CD disks <- click there

What the guy said about scratches where light can pass all the way through a CD disk is true, and what the guy said about a bad scratch on the label side (top side) of a CD disk is also true. Plus, (additionally true) scratches on the data side can be fixed [where data is written on the bottom side of a CD disk] and are possible to recover for use.

If you are going to polish CD disks to attempt to fix them, remember disks should be clean with a smooth surface before using the CD disks...no globs, clumps, or bulges ( *laff* good technical words, eh? ) of polish should be on a CD disk when done. When done, polish should be flush with the level of the surface of the data side of a CD disk.
    * Oh, one last thing, remember to give your polish an appropriate amount of time to completely dry and you don't want any fiber strings or other materials on your CD disk...you don't want polish or materials to be slung around the inside of your (CD- or) DVD-ROM drive.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
Our Host!