Morningstar

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Terrokian, May 6, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Terrokian

Terrokian Member

Ok nother question here.Was runnin thru toee lvl 2(earth) and after wipin everything up in the main earth altar room cleaned the chests out and noticed that when ya get good treasure the party says "What a haul" or "Look at the loot".Well they said this to what appears to be two plain non magical morningstars.So I grabbed em headed back to town but both are already identified and one sells for 1200 gold.Anyone know why this one wep is so precious?It's not masterwork and does not say it's magical.Does it have a purpose or do ya need to be lvl 10 to figure what it does?

2. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

It's just a regular magic morningstar. It just doesnt say so for some reason.

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

when you craft an item, it automatically adds the modifiers to the name when you "add" them, one morning star is a +1 morning star, one is regular, the +1 one is a masterwork one, it just doesnt say it, you can go and RENAME any magical item if you have the craft arms and armour feat, when they created that specific loot they accidently named it morning star instead of morning star +1 (the default name is masterwork morningstar +1, and they removed all but morningstar instead of just the masterwork), you could for example name your +1 morning star "Godslaying Broadsword +25"....

Unfortunately i found NO way of telling what an item really is other then
    1. craft arms and armour feat for arms and armour
    Exception, different specials, like holy, can only be added by certain classes, and will NOT be seen in the item description when you mess with it with another class... (so my +3 holy mace, when crafted by my wizard, has the following enchantments, +1, +2, +3, blank. if i add to it another enchantment, like flaming, then when edited by my cleric it will show, +1, +2, +3, holy, flaming. it still correctly calculates the value of the item, except that there is a commensurate cost if you try to put more then one enchantment at once, do them one by one and it will be cheaper)
    2. Other items RARELY have a shift+click popup description, its usually a rather pathetic one, but its there, items that dont have it, well you are screwed, sell them or just look around on forums to see if you can find out what they do...
    Actually i am starting another thread here for item descriptions

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I think we all agree that the inventory description of equipment could be more helpful, but if you're really mystified as to what an item does, there's a couple of things you can do. For starters, you can see any pluses on the item by equiping it and clicking on the score listed in the primary attack box in your character's description. That will give you a run-down of all adjustments from class, strength, dex (if applicable), and "enhancements". This is how I found out the "Holy Longsword +1" that you get from the Flirting with Disaster quest is actually +3. Also, you can see things like Holy and Frost and such by clicking on the damage report in the rolls history menu after you hit something (it's the little d20 icon over the menu in the lower right corner). That'll show you when it's rolling for frost damage and such. You'll have to critical to see burst effects. I guess things like keen edge and such you'll just have to scout with the craft arms and armor feat, as mentioned in the last post.
    Cheers.

Our Host!