More than level 10

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by gandalf333, Apr 15, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. gandalf333

gandalf333 Member

Is there a way to patch ToEE so that PC's can achieve a level higher than 10? I've already maxed out level 10 on all PC's and I'm not done with the game yet. Anyone able to do this?

2. tomek605

tomek605 Member

in toee the 10 level is max

3. Kespoosh

Kespoosh Member

As far as I know, there aren't any fixes for this, but it's possible, unless the xp tables are hard-coded.

4. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

As far as I know is the cap hard-coded. So no way around it.

5. psiekier

psiekier Member

Well, here's your next stumbling block: how many sixth level spells would you like to cast?

Gaining levels isn't just about XP and HP. Certain classes develop higher level spells and what would amount to greater bonus feats in ToEE.

Try coding for that in a patch. ;)

6. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

er. ok. done. created scrolls of all 6th level spells available in the protos file. give to char. done.

cheesy but you can cast any level 6 spell in the game that way as many times as you want.

alternatively, you can simply edit a wand or item in the protos file with unlimited charges of whatever spell you want.

there aren't too many 6th level spells in the game tho. Chain lightning comes to mind? or is that a 5th level?

7. psiekier

psiekier Member

My statement was generally about higher level spells, rather than specifically the spells of the sixth level - even though I'm sure it sounded that way.

ToEE is a great game and a sound engine, but it has its limitations.

When your Wizard is able to cast 9th level spells, how would you define the parameters of a Wish?

What about the many funky abilities that the "odd" classes like Monks and Druids gain after the 10th level?

I think it's safe to leave well enough alone.

8. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

psiekier is right, it would be way too much troube adding those levels after removing the cap if the levels are not already implemented. The only hint I know so far about higher levels is a specific requirement for item crafting (it refers to level 12). So it seems that at some point the desginers decided to reduce the level cap to 10 and stopped implementing spells and powers for higher levels.

To make things short: I don´t belive you can remove the cap at all as it is hard-coded. Even if a way around this cap would be found, it would be really time cosuming adding all those spells and powers. In two words: forget it.

9. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

which is why it wasnt done in the FIRST PLACE, actually if you want to improve stuff try coding and creating GRAPHICS for all the spells they decided to remove from levels 1-5... there are a bunch, and why did they do it? limitations, it would have taken a few more years and ALOT of extra effort to do all that...

the only thing in this regard id change is to give XP for up a point from whats needed for level 12, since you can chooce not to level, even in the current engine... you can just not level and keep gaining XP, up to a point before a level two levels higher then your current level, so a 6th level chararacter could gain XP up toa point before level8, then he could level, kill something for 1XP, and level again... this rule was originally put into place to allow people to horde XP for XP costing spells/crafting... and also to catch up, because if your party is level 6 and you are level 5, you gain 50% more XP then them (twice more at two levels lower) which can allow you to catch up, if you are up to the challenge.

Take for example permanency, permanency is one of the greatest powers a wizard has, but it was removed, why? because they didnt have time or resources to deal with it, and because of balance perhaps (the game is capped at level 10 after all)

Our Host!