Money,gaining without cheats

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kylan271, Oct 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

:no: I tried to play TOEE with the new front end recently,trying to sort out how to make money to purchase the various shop items and craft cost help?

Because xps drop of at high level,I need to craft at low level,ie 6th or so,or you chew up XPs more,since you get less xps per kill when past 6th. But,money is a pain. :sadblinky

So I ditched the 5th or so game and tried again...

1. Appraise via the Merchant Scale(stackable)and Eyepiece can add up to '19' max.

2. Bless Water the only spell I can sell,at 12gp+ each,no xp cost.

3. Crafted items are at 12.5gp profit or so per 1xp. I use random encounters to add to the xp loss. Secondly I use a '1' skill detect device Pc to disarm the chest in Jaroo's lair,they get 32xp or so per failure-and protected by resist energy(fire). So helps.

4. Two wizards share the spells upon level up,what one does not have the other learns and scribes for each.
    -> In the start up,use the Eyepiece to add to Appraise and make Bless water and sell,ie I have 24 x8gp then(10 appraise)&use cantrip Guidance +1(11). Buy all the scrolls you can and repeat until complete per Wizard(as all scrolls are not in start as I have encountered).
    #You rest in the bedroom to reset the chest items,say 1-7 days.

Cheat
    Trigger Burne in party-when Temple of EE is located.
    His diamonds etc are not transferable so buy more diamonds from gem merchant and when enough for your liking,sell all,rejected off course,but gain money. :p

I got 100,000s to the max,but the game was no challenge though as i had max magical equiptment from little work. So depends on your game enjoyment.

#There should be a way to make normal money akin to BG2(strongholds)allows,sad really,or IWD2 where killing things gives you hides or scales to sell.

2. Caelen

Caelen Member

What does the merchant scale do?

3. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I just sell the magical items or masterwork items my characters can't use like the Orc Unholy Double Axe+1 and the Steel Shields +1 (depending on the party alignment and make up of course)...

4. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Beyond the first few levels, when you do have to scrimp and save a bit for money to get fighters and clerics into decent armour, I've never found cash to be an issue in this game- you incur essentially no costs and can pick what equipment to keep when looting fallen foes, and what to sell. Beyond about 6 th level I find myself paying merchants to ID scrolls and potions just because its less of a faff than using read magic.
    nb If you sell magic items without identifying them first, you don't get full value for them. I think you have to pay for the material cost of Bless Water- might be worth checking.

5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

2 encounters in the NC give ridiculous amounts of magic items that can be sold for lots of gold if you have a high enough Appraise skill- the LE Opening where- if you chose- you can fight the chief cleric and Calmurt(?) and the Target of Vengeance reputation you get if you fail to kill both of the traders in Hommlett- just about all of your foes will have at least 1 or 2 magic items that can be sold or crafted- your choice slight spoiler follows:
    (the mitheral shirts found after the Target of Vengeance can be crafted to be better than Elven chain).

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Nightcannon: you might want to craft yourself a Helm of Reading Magic. It gives you unlimited use of Read Magic, and because ToEE lets that spell identify potions too, I think it's the single most useful item in the game.

7. Nightcanon

I usually select Read Magic in all my cantrip slots and use that while I feel I need the cash. But above a certain level it doesn't seem worth the effort of going through the sequence of selecting the caster, right clicking for their radial menu, selecting RM, selecting the scroll/ potion, then reopening my inventory and mouseovering to see what I've got. The ease of selecting identify and just clicking is preferable once you're rolling in it.
    While I'm on the subject of the interface, does everyone else find their mouse somewhat 'woolly' in ToEE? It sometings seems like I'm pointing with a long rubber stick (one of the reasons I find spellcasting to ID a potion of CLW such a drag).

Incidentally, to further reply to the original poster: while XP for low CR foes does drop off as you go up in levels, actually you will find that you continue to gain XP all the same sort of rate in terms of level advancement (D&D aims that you gain a level after a certain number of encounters, which remai.s more or less constant). In fact with NC, I think that you actually level up faster than you should above 10th level, because the CR vs PC level differentials for higher levels don't exist in the game (so 15th level characters earn the same XP for a fight as 10th level ones do).

8. kylan271

The main concern was with Crafting and Magic Item purchases. At 5 PCs,to gain several items it costs a lot of money even through crafting,let alone purchase from a shop,ie Gloves of Dex +4 in Nulb etc. I am just trying to sus it out via legit means,even with pickpockets where possible?

I managed to kill both reward parties(Sir Juffer&the Prince) and trick the PC into awarding me still ^_*.

*Prince Thrommel reward glitch.
    1.At range entangle/web the party before dialogue given.
    2.Attack individuals at range until all killed.
    3.Loot all,except the Knight. Ensure all PCs have at least 4 slots free in inventory-I use the Magical chest to store armour etc.
    4.Loot the knight last-with 4 slots available at least.
    5.The knight will resurrect and give the reward as you are in dialogue trigger range I guess. Then he and the bodies vanish.

Sir Juffer glitch.
    1-5 as above,but....
    5,Is that you need to raise from dead the Elf to gain the 'reward'.

This helps with money a lot. Semi legal without the F12/F9 cheat.

9. kylan271

Tried the semi legit way to gain money.

I found gaining sapphires I can buy/steal from Nira and make money this way,and gives reason to use ranks in Sleigh of Hand.

*The money I need is for Crafting,which is very high!

10. kylan271

Update:

Tried the semi cheat-sell/loot from Nira,using diamonds which give high returns.
    Tried the Bless water 'cheat' to gain money but messy in spells/day and filling slots.

New method:
    XPs to gp at about 12gp(appraise 19).

All my Pcs have 'scribe scroll' gain 12gp per 6gp spent at 0xp,but quick and takes only one slot up-stackable scrolls. You can do 50 easy time for 300gp profit(burne/calmert trader).

The +6 items are 18000 at 1440xp. At under 4th you gain this quickly. So raised 2880xp x4 Pcs at 138240gp profit and just done MH,EM,WB and DWoods. target is 270,000gp ish to get 3 +6 items per PC. I use level squat to keep xp/kill high,and it is fun worrying about frogs and bandits etc at low hps. My bard has no craft wi,only scribe so at 1st spells he uses his xp to raise money and all party same xp levels.

You use the MH tower to rest-wounds/spells and then rest outside to farm xps. WoWisp are the main xp source but deadly.

Without this the item purchases in say Verbobonc are nigh impossible with just base gps found and not resorting to being sneaky as with Nira being looted.

11. Nightcanon

Sounds real fun! Whatever floats your boat I guess. Personally I've never had a problem with going through the game in sequence, levelling up when possible, and keeping my magic items at around the power level that they're available in the game.
    Most of my PnP was done with 2nd Ed, and relatively low magic. I think that cRPGs have somewhat inflated the availability of magic (if you want +2 weapons available at a certain stage, you have to supply a +2 version of everything, because you don't know what the party 'wants' to find). The 'expected treasure per level' lists in the 3.5 DMG reflect this inflation in my opinion. Still each to their own ;)

12. kylan271

Normally I would just adapt to available magic items and use them,but using MAX hp creatures I get 163hp Bugbears and a 156hp Fiendish Minotaur trying to kill me(HB) as example. Some of my rolled party has some lowly stats and can't hit a barn door if they stood on it at times. So need things like Amulet +6 con,Belt +6 st,and Gloves +6 to keep them alive. And i found a nearly equal foe more fun than high level but little xp return battles. So craft low,get more xp returns and can survive for high level encounters later.

BG3 is the worst game I encountered for Magic overkill,became boring-had a 1000hp damage sword and had +6 weapons,lol. Not use to this from the days of 2nd&3rd editions. So I am not doing the crafting thing for the joy of being just a mega magic game.

Killing skeletons and skeleton gnolls is actually fun,even the lowly pirates and bandits the way I have set it up. So yeah I am happy.

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yeah, do you remember how exciting it was to find a Masterwork Weapon?

14. Nightcanon

Hi kylan, I was a bit bemused rather than critical. Genuinely if you're having fun that's great. One of the annoying things for me about cRPGs is that, while combat is much slicker and easier to visualise, shopping trips become a bit of a bore ('yes I do want to buy all 20 of your arrows, brother Smyth') and I try to minimise that sort of stuff- the same with looting bodies for handfuls of gp.
    I do agree that there's a special kind of fun to be had at lower levels where every fight could end up with you being kobold food and every web spell is precious and every turn undead roll is critical.
    I guess most of us here are so used to the core of the game that we are trying different tweaks to make it more interesting.:thumbsup:

15. kylan271

Hah hah,yes the days of actually finding a masterwork weapon-IWD1,yeeeeeeeeeehah.

Hmm it costs what 18000gp per +6 item and with 5 PCs,oh....darn shopping trips suck yes.... So xps gets me the gps and I can have fun still.

P.S. Gaer needs to alter the item per shop
    1. Padded should only be at Shorty's shop-not with Jakk&Bing
    2. Musical instruments not anywhere except starting shop and with Lareth,should not be with lareth but Cabinet maker perhaps or Verbabonc shops.
    3. Scribing tools not with Burne,but Traders only,lol.
    4. Healing kit with Calmert perhaps?

Our Host!