Masterwork Greatcleaver?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Dec 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Why is the Masterwork greatcleaver marked as Keen and +1 in the weapon mod screen already?

I always wondered this. Is it a bug that can't be fixed for whatever reason? I just wondered because I'd rather that my H-Orc Rogue that plans on using this bad boy would rather get a great cleaver that could have a few extra elemental mods on it rather than keen. Plus, I'd rather get improved critical with the handaxe than keen on the weapon.

Is there any reason for this? Is it all Masterwork great cleavers or just a few?
    Edit: Also, is this how the Masterwork greatcleaver gets a critical of 17-20x3 with the Keen added on?

2. chano

chano Established Member

It's a cleaver so it's keen by nature i guess.
    You can add extra "mods" to it, you can just shorten the text and add as much as you like.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

There's a limit to how many mods you can craft on a given weapon though. I think that's what he's saying. Although even if you don't remove keen, you can still make the weapon insanely overpowered (it technically already is but w/e).

I personally see reason in nerfing great cleavers to some reasonable state (no +1 or keen, lower damage dice) while keeping one as is, as a unique magic weapon - with added challenge to procuring one, of course. As is it's a light weapon with stats superior to a heavy exotic one (dwarven waraxe or Bastard sword), with extra bonuses to it. IIRC, it was unique in vanilla and belonged to a specific NPC, so it was definitely not intended to have players running around double-wielding them.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There were (are) two available in vanilla. The second was (is) with a NPC on the third level of the Temple. It's quite a coincidence that 2 were available and it used a handaxe (light) feat. That's one of the first things I designed a new character for.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Now you've puzzled me. I either forgot about it or never found it. In any case, what you're saying doesn't ring a bell. I guess disregard what I said about that then ;)

My point still stands though, that at the very least GCleavers should be removed from generic weapon traders' lists. There should be a challenge to getting then.

6. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Well, why was the weapon already made +1 and Keen?
    It's got to be the only vanilla MW weapon that's already magical.
    Also, that NPC was a female bugbear in the air temple kitchen, not counting Fruella.

I ask because I'm wondering what class will be better dual wielding such a weapon?
    A fighter4/Pally Human?
    An Elf Rogue
    A Half-Orc Barb 1~/Rogue? (Maybe higher barb if I can remember what feats they get later on)

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Why not rogue or dex-based ranger, since the weapon is, in defiance of all logic, finessable?

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The cleaver is a Troika invention and so is Fruella. In the pnp module she's the "spinster" daughter of a reclusive farmer, 1st level, sling and dagger. No armor and 8HP. No cleaver. For Toee it makes a great 2wep fighting weapon. One of the best weapons after Scather and the Frostbrand.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

One of my best killing machines was a halforc ranger/monk 2wf using cleavers. Had as many kills as the rest of the party combined.

10. SCO

SCO Member

Bumpbump..

Any chance of "keen-less" versions of some weapons in the next version, so if we want to burn a impr. critical feat we have more enchant opportunities?

The Jian has the same "problem".

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

Found a total of 3 Masterwork Great Cleavers in 7.4.1 so far, including Fruella's and two female bugbears in the temple.

Improved Critical (Handaxe) causes the threat range to increase to from 17-20 to 14-20.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
Our Host!