Magical Items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, May 16, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Magical item descriptions in the game are abysmall, I am starting this thread to compile some info on them...

first I would like to ask if anyone can supply any info about the following...

Lightening Spear (common item, unkown useage)
    boots of speed
    Rope of entaglement (I am guessing this can be used by a druid... i wouldnt know cause i dont have any)

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  2. mjck7

mjck7 Member

Hope this helps! (part 1)

// Long Descriptions are referenced via the known name of an object,
    // and can be retrieved in game by calling
    // object_long_description( [in] obj, [in] viewer, [out] desc )
    // or by calling
    // object_long_description_ptr( [in] obj, [in] viewer )
    // and the pointer is returned to you

{4016}{Scather is a magic bastard sword that is both Chaotic and Holy. If the wielder is non-evil, Scather never misses and adds +4 to damage (doubles to +8 if the target is evil and the wielder is CN, CG, or NG. Finally, for CG wielders, Scather provides free unlimited Attacks of Opportunity against any opponent making a melee attack against the wearer (and CN wielders get one free such AoO per round).}
    {4017}{Fragarach is a magic bastard sword that is both Chaotic and Holy. If the wielder is non-evil, Fragarach never misses and adds +4 to damage (doubles to +8 if the target is evil and the wielder is CN, CG, or NG. Finally, for CG wielders, Fragarach provides free unlimited Attacks of Opportunity against any opponent making a melee attack against the wearer (and CN wielders get one free such AoO per round).}
    {4112}{A dagger of venom is a magic +1 dagger that can poison its target once per day.}
    {4120}{Lareth's staff of striking is a magic +2 club that can use from 0 to 3 charges on each attack and if the attack is successful, will add 3 times the number of charges to the damage roll.}
    {4124}{A rod of smiting is a magic +3 light mace that upon a critical hit, will use one charge to add 2 to the critical multiplier (i.e. raised it from x2 to x4).}
    {4125}{A staff of striking is a magic +3 quarterstaff that can use from 0 to 3 charges on each attack and if the attack is successful, will add 3 times the number of charges to the damage roll.}
    {4130}{Wonnilon's repeating crossbow is a magic +1 light crossbow that does not need to be reloaded.}
    {4134}{A javelin of lightning is a magic javelin that allows the wielder to cast Lightning Bolt one time.}
    {4135}{Flame tongue is a magic +1 greatsword that is enchanted to do an extra 1d6 of fire damage per strike, as well as doing an extra 1d10 of fire damage on a critical hit. It also can perform a 4d6 ranged touch fire attack once per day.}
    {4136}{Frost brand is a magic +3 greatsword that is enchanted to do an extra 1d6 of cold damage per strike, as well as absorbing the first 10 points of fire damage from any attack against its wielder.}
    {4137}{Staff of fire is a magic staff that allows the wielder to cast Burning Hands and Fireball. It is charged.}
    {4138}{Staff of life is a magic staff that allows the wielder to cast Heal and Raise Dead. It is charged.}
    {4154}{Sword of Life Stealing is +2 greatsword that upon a critical hit, grants the wielder 1d6 of temporary hit points and forces the target to make a Fortitude save against a DC of 16 or suffer a temporary negative level.}
    {4195}{A composite longbow (Str +2) is a longbow that allows the wielder to add his strength bonus (up to +2) to the damage rolls of the bow. However, if the wielder has less than a +2 Strength bonus, he suffers a -2 attack roll penalty.}
    {4197}{Jaer's spheres of fire are a grenade-like weapon thrown as a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 of direct fire damage and 1 point of splash fire damage to anything within five feet.}
    {4217}{Moradin's Soul Hammer is a magic +1 warhammer that is enchanted to be Holy, Lawful and Defending.}
    {4218}{Thorned Chains of Love are magic +1 spiked chains that are enchanted to be Holy.}
    {4224}{Holy water is a grenade-like weapon thrown as a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 of direct holy damage and 1 point of splash holy damage to anything within five feet.}
    {4226}{Unholy water is a grenade-like weapon thrown as a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 of direct unholy damage and 1 point of splash unholy damage to anything within five feet.}

{6057}{Boots of elvenkind grant the wearer a circumstance bonus of +5 to their Move Silently skill.}
    {6058}{A cloak of elvenkind grants the wearer a circumstance bonus of +5 to their Hide skill.}
    {6082}{A ring of protection +1 grants the wearer a deflection bonus of +1 to their AC.}
    {6083}{A ring of protection +2 grants the wearer a deflection bonus of +2 to their AC.}
    {6084}{A ring of protection +3 grants the wearer a deflection bonus of +3 to their AC.}
    {6085}{Cloak of resistance +1 grants the wearer a resistance bonus of +1 to all saving throws.}
    {6086}{Cloak of resistance +2 grants the wearer a resistance bonus of +2 to all saving throws.}
    {6087}{Cloak of resistance +3 grants the wearer a resistance bonus of +3 to all saving throws.}
    {6088}{A ring of invisibility grants the wearer invisibility, as per the spell.}
    {6089}{A ring of mammal control grants the wearer charm animal, as per the spell, which just works on mammals.}
    {6090}{A scarab of proof against poison grants the wearer a +4 luck bonus of +3 to all saving throws against poison.}

3. mjck7

mjck7 Member

(part 2)

{6092}{An amulet of proof against detection and location requires the caster of any divination spell on the wearer to succeed at a caster level check against a DC of 19.}
    {6099}{Lareth's ring of freedom of movement allows the wearer to act as if under the effect of a Freedom of Movement spell.}
    {6101}{A ring of fire resistance, minor, absorbs the first 15 points of fire damage from any attack against its wielder.}
    {6105}{A ring of freedom of movement allows the wearer to act as if under the effect of a Freedom of Movement spell.}
    {6107}{A necklace of adaptation provides the wearer with immunity all poison gases.}
    {6115}{Bracers of armor +5 grants the wearer an armor bonus of +5 to their AC.}
    {6118}{A ring of change grants a druid who can Wild Shape the additional form of a hill giant.}
    {6119}{Bracers of armor +3 grants the wearer an armor bonus of +3 to their AC.}
    {6127}{A necklace of prayer beads (karma) allows the weaer to cast divine spells at +4 caster level (with respect to range, duration, etc.) for 10 minutes, once per day.}
    {6162}{A cloak of resistance +4 grants the wearer a resistance bonus of +4 to all saving throws.}
    {6198}{A ring of animal summoning (dog) allows the user to cast a Summon Nature's Ally once per day, summoning a dog who stays with the party until killed.}
    {6199}{Gloves of dexterity +2 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Dexterity.}
    {6200}{Gloves of dexterity +4 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Dexterity.}
    {6201}{Gloves of dexterity +6 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Dexterity.}
    {6240}{An amulet of health +2 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Constitution.}
    {6241}{An amulet of health +4 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Constitution.}
    {6242}{An amulet of health +6 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Constitution.}
    {6243}{Gloves of giant strength +4 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Strength.}
    {6244}{Gloves of giant strength +6 grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Strength.}
    {6245}{Gauntlets of ogre power grant the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Strength.}
    {6246}{A headband of intellect +2 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Intelligence.}
    {6247}{A headband of intellect +4 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Intelligence.}
    {6248}{A headband of intellect +6 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Intelligence.}
    {6249}{An amulet of wisdom +2 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Wisdom.}
    {6250}{An amulet of wisdom +4 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Wisdom.}
    {6251}{An amulet of wisdom +6 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Wisdom.}
    {6252}{A cloak of charisma +2 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +2 to Charisma.}
    {6253}{A cloak of charisma +4 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +4 to Charisma.}
    {6254}{A cloak of charisma +6 grants the wearer an enchancement bonus of +6 to Charisma.}
    {6255}{A circlet of persuasion grants the wearer a competency bonus of +2 to Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.}
    {6256}{A necklace of detection grants the wearer a circumstance bonus of +5 to Search and Survival skills.}
    {6257}{An amulet of mighty fists +1 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +1 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.}
    {6258}{An amulet of mighty fists +2 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +2 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.}
    {6259}{An amulet of mighty fists +3 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +3 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.}
    {6260}{An amulet of mighty fists +4 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +4 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.}
    {6261}{An amulet of mighty fists +5 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +5 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.}
    {6262}{An amulet of natural armor +1 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +1 to his natural armor bonus.}
    {6263}{An amulet of natural armor +2 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +2 to his natural armor bonus.}
    {6264}{An amulet of natural armor +3 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +3 to his natural armor bonus.}
    {6265}{An amulet of natural armor +4 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +4 to his natural armor bonus.}
    {6266}{An amulet of natural armor +5 grants the wearer an enhancement bonus of +5 to his natural armor bonus.}
    {6267}{Bracers of archery, greater, empowers the wearer to use any bow (not including crossbows). If already proficient, the wearer gains a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls and a +1 competence bonus on damage rolls.}
    {6268}{Bracers of archery, lesser, empowers the wearer to use any bow (not including crossbows). If already proficient, the wearer gains a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls.}

{12009}{Dust of disappearance makes the user invisible for 2d6 rounds, as if under the effect of the spell Greater Invisibility.}
    {12017}{Jaer's spheres of fire are a grenade-like weapon thrown as a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 of direct fire damage and 1 point of splash fire damage to anything within five feet.}
    {12018}{The Orb of golden death is a powerful artifact created by the demoness Zuggtmoy and her consort, Iuz the Terrible. The wielder can cast the spells Discern Lies and Poison, as well as operate the elevating throne in the ground-level Temple. Additional powers can be obtained by adding elemental power gems to the orb.}
    {12019}{The air elemental power gem allows the wielder to teleport to the Air Node at will, as well as cast Chain Lightning once per day. The wielder can also summon a Vrock demon for 5 rounds once per week and summon an air elemental for 10 rounds once per week.}
    {12020}{The earth elemental power gem allows the wielder to teleport to the Earth Node at will, as well as cast Stoneskin once per day. The wielder can also summon a Glabrezu demon for 4 rounds once per week and summon an earth elemental for 10 rounds once per week.}
    {12021}{The fire elemental power gem allows the wielder to teleport to the Fire Node at will, as well as cast Flame Strike once per day. The wielder can also summon a Balor demon for 4 rounds once per week and summon a fire elemental for 10 rounds once per week.}
    {12022}{The water elemental power gem allows the wielder to teleport to the Water Node at will, as well as cast Ice Storm once per day. The wielder can also summon a Hezrou demon for 5 rounds once per week and summon a water elemental for 10 rounds once per week.}
    {12024}{A fungus figurine allows the wielder to Summon Fungi once per day.}
    {12031}{Keoghtom's ointment allows the wielder to cast any of the spells Cure Light Wounds, Remove Disease, or Neutralize Poison, up to 5 times.}
    {12584}{A magic flute adds a bonus of +2 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12585}{A magic drum adds a bonus of +1 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12586}{A magic horn adds a bonus of +3 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12587}{A magic mandolin adds a bonus of +4 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12588}{A horn of blasting adds a bonus of +3 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12589}{A horn of fog adds a bonus of +3 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}
    {12590}{Drums of panic add a bonus of +1 to a bard's Perform skill when used to perform any bardic music.}

Thanks to Kharmakazy over at the Atari forums!!

4. xÃV8x

xÃV8x Member

Any word yet on a magic item generator?
    So we can make custom equiptment??

5. psiekier

psiekier Member

I must be missing a lot in this game, and I'm already most of the way through playing it a second time (trying out a bard and monk this time instead of a rogue and ranger) without ever having encountered any kind of magical bard instruments, a Fungus Figurine, Dust of Disappearance, the composite longbow, or most of those magic swords.

I'm curious as to how the magic rods like the White Rod and Gray Rod work; it also took a lot of money and XP to create one of each Ioun Stone to figure out what they all did.

Antonio's Mace, which belongs to one of the priests of the Fire Temple, is worth 800+ GP when I try to sell it, but it doesn't seem to have any magical powers. What exactly is it? What is it supposed to be?

The Rope of Entanglement is also worth a lot of money if sold, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it does, either.

Plus, I gather that Elven Chain is considered "light armour," even though it's not listed in the book. My bard can wear it without a non-proficiency penalty, but it interferes with his spells. The book states that light armour does not hinder a bard's spell-casting ability, yet it's pretty obvious that it does. Am I missing something?

Also, is anyone else perplexed by the prerequisites for adding certain kinds of enchantments to magical arms and armour? I mean, if I want to make a burning sword, what more would I need besides the (almost too obvious) Burning Hands spell? Is there some chart in the game's code that can be easily extracted so I can figure out how to work these in there?

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

the loun stones are listed in the patch faq, plus you could have just saved, crafted one, loaded, repeat... you know its not really cheating since your character cannot create an item he does not know the use of...

As for fungus figurine... i had it, i think i found it in the moathouse or something equaly early.... they offered me a copper for it... (it could summon a kick ass fungus once a day...)

7. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

the fungus figurine is found in the rainbow rock in emeridy meadows. the rope was supposed to entangle one creature i think, but it doesnt work. i dont think there are any bard instruments in game at all, other than the one you could get off that bard npc you find in a random encounter. that wizard in the tower in hommlet has some dust of dissapeance on him,( i cant remember his name for some reason) and i think you can make it with the craft items feat. there is also another figurine where you kill that fish, its below it somewhere a few trees down, just keep tapping tab, it is very small but worth finding.

Our Host!