Lost on several quests so far. Are they working [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by vendur, Jul 21, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vendur

vendur Member

Killed all the spiders in the forest -- no acknowledgement I have done so from the baliff. I even went back there and camped a few times to kill a few more spiders to see if that would work. Also some guy started talking to me in the upper left hand corner of the map by a rock formation but I couldn't figure out what to do. Rope did nothing nor did searching.

Lost adventures -- does this involve taking out a certain winged lizard to complete, or the killing of the inhabitants of a certain foul dwelling? If not, I'm lost on what to do with this.

Speaking of those inhabitants above, one wants me to set up a trade partnership. talked to everyone I can in town i think and none say anything.

The smith and getting masterwork weapons-- same story as above paragraph.

Would be nice there was a list of the should be working/half-working/totally broken stuff so. People who don't want to be spoiled shouldn't read it.

also it's probably been mentioned before but I have very long loading delay for entering the provisioners shop. Excess of thirty seconds. Zero delays any other place.

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Re: Lost on several quests so far. Are they working

Make sure you are using the new secret door search tool to find the talking guy.

[spoiler, I guess]
    It's tricky, but you need to mouse around in the Lizard Man cave very carefully for a clue.
    [end spoiler]

I can never get anywhere with those two quests either. I think it has to do with your social skill levels like Gather Information, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive. Unlike most of the time in the original game where you need a social skill in the range of 2 - 6, sometimes in KOTB it needs to be upwards of 10 - 12 to move the quest alone. Make sure you have you character that is high in those 3 skills as you leader who initiiates conversation. Bumping up your charisma with Eagle's Splendor or wisdom with Owl's Wisdom can help.

On a related note, I have yet to figure out how to have contact in any way with the Thieve's Guild. Nor have I ever met the Castillian. And I've finished the module two times already. There must me something in my play style that I need to change that is making me miss those opportunities.

That would be really nice. There is a bug list thread though at the top of the KOTB page. http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11119

3. vendur

vendur Member

Nothing in the lizard man cave -- at all-- There is a the champion's corpse that won't vanish for some reason. I think I charmed him in that fight.

I did use the secret item finding things in the woods by the rock, all around it in fact and couldn't find anything.

Ok, I found it on the second go around. I see what the search problem is now. I started this module with the wrong rogue. Originally was going to ahve a bard face, but decided to switch to rogue... only I picked the wrong one. Heh.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  4. vendur

vendur Member

cleared caves, cleared spiders in forest. Still no acknowledgement from log book or the baliff. dude tells me to talk to the master of the keep. HOW? And how about a real freakin name? I even wasted a bunch of time getting blue cloaks, getting my wizard disguise self and a disguise kits too. Nada. Way too fussy/frustrating. as far as I can tell pretty much all the quest chains are broken for anhy reasonable person playing the game.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You'll tell your grandkids about it one day Vendur. "I played KotB without a walkthrough! We were hardcore in those days!"

I could do these piecemeal but some of the quest chains are quite complicated so rather than asking you a hundred questions to figure out where you are up to, could I just get you to upload a recent save? Please see THIS thread for instructions on how to do it, then I can check all the flags / variables myself and advise you. Other than the Billy scenario and one issue in a quest for the Merchant's Guild, there are no broken quest chains: that's pretty much the primary thing we tested for.
    O and that ;) Stupid cat! If you feel you have behaved in a manner consistent with attracting the attention of the Thieves' Guild, Marc, go and hang around Flay's house.

6. chano

chano Established Member

Ted,

I have played through 4 times now and I really wanna try the thieves guilde before the patch is relased.
    Could you or someone else, either here or in a PM explain how to get the thieves Guild quest.
    I practically live in and outside flays house after doing what i thought was needed.

7. vendur

vendur Member

Okie let's see if that worked. Usually I use 7z but this board doesn't like them for some reason. Hopefully it works ok.

Attached Files:

8. vendur

vendur Member

I just noticed that ricario has gone missing from the market square. Is that plot related or some kind of bug? maybe it's related? I think I did try to steal from him a couple times before.

9. Shiningted

Unzips fine Vendur, will give it a try and let you know shortly.

Chano - will PM you shortly too.

10. Shiningted

Okay... firstly the spiders. If you bring up the minimap, you'll find half the right side of the map is unexplored. There's a couple of ways in there at the extreme points of the map, see the pictures below. Spoiler:
    Inside you'll find the boss monster of the Spider Map, your Wizard has plenty of ranks in Speak Language to communicate. Speak to her then return to the Bailiff and tell him: or just kill her. :)

Re Axer's quest to get him a trade route: you're kinda outta luck there. You're cleric is Heironean, so you're probably not going to get the blessing from the Temple to activate the quest without a huge Bluff effort. That's not a bug (it's the way it should be), but in future I will add a use for the Disguise skill to get around that.

Let's say you did though, for future reference: what next? First you have to kill the dragon. Axer says that: currently you only have the trade-route quest as purple in your log-book, so your contact in the Keep (spoiler:
    the head of the merchant's guild
    ) won't mention it. You only know about the mission, you're not actually on it yet, and Axer won't officially give it to you until you kill the Dragon. Once you have killed the Dragon, (if you have the blessing of the Temple) you head off to the
    Merchant's guild
    and talk your way through it. Note that you are not currently a member of the Merchant's guild but if you go there, they'll let you in: just say someone from outside the keep sent you (because you rescued Angryn the Spider Silk merchant - he probably told you to go to the Keep and he'd put in a word for you, depending on how quickly you got rid of him - he puts in a word for you either way). The say you want to trade
    the spider silk you are carrying
    and you're in :)

The lost adventurers: purely because I can see there's a lot of the game you still haven't seen, I'll flat out tell you (though it's spoiling a once-only reveal in the game). Spoiler:
    go back to the Lizardman cave, and look at the painting on the wall

The blacksmith's masterwork weapons thing is
    if you bring the Merchant Prisoner (and his wife) back from the Hobgoblin Cave, he set's up shop as a weapons dealer, and you broker a deal between him and the Smith. Again, you need to be a member of the Merchant's Guild to pull this off.

If you can stomach one last trip into the Provisioner's Shop, look at the noticeboard again, there should be two new quests there (judging by what you don't have in your logbook).

Finally - if you're looking for the ox saddlebags, you left them outside the Provisioner's Shop ;)

Attached Files:

11. vendur

vendur Member

Hmm, it looked to me that I had covered all the map that was open to explore. turns out i was missing one big fat spider. The edges of these maps are irregularly shaped so it's extremely annoying to sit there ramming your head into every black graphical area every couple inches to be "sure" it's the end of the area you can explore. Ugh.

Speaking of merchant's guild i had no idea where that was. i thought the merchants guild was that place with the watchman asking for "papers" to enter.

Really confusing. it seems there are several places like this when playing the game when you are not sure why or even what something is but you are being somehow locked out of it. the merchant's guild, the whatever the hell the "paper's" please guy is talking about, and the house with the high cleric dude. It didn't seem clear to me what these places where through the course of the game.

Also not sure about these 2 other quests at the provisioner's. There are notes about familiars and criminal elements, but they don't appear to be quests.

12. Shiningted

Weird - at your level I would have thought you would get the Raider one and the 'Root of All Chaos' one. But having actually looked at the files ;) you have to actually finish either the missing adventurers quest or the spider menace quest, then you get the Raiders. You have to have done any 2 quests for the Bailiff (including Billy, sorry to bring him up) to get the 'Root of All Chaos' quest. Annoying when the Provisioner Map is playing up.

Re the Spider Map - Gaear is going to give it an overhaul. First outdoor map we ever made :) Its based on Emridy Meadows (obviously) and I don't think the edges have changed.

If you're confused about the Outer Bailey or who is where or what is which, check the map in your docs folder.

13. vendur

vendur Member

Have you considered giving a piece of dialogue to the silk merchant in the forest indicating the whereabouts of the queen? "the best silk is always found over on the eastern edge of the forest, but it's also the most dangerous as it is where the queen nests." That would be at least as helpful as a little more intuitive looking map.

14. Shiningted

No-one's ever had trouble finding her before :shrug:

15. vendur

vendur Member

Haha. How many of the 1k downloaders of this mod have posted here, do you think? had I not stumbled on to the druid grove entrance after not finding it for awhile and being stymied by the adventures quest and the spider south forest, I never would have posted here at all and just uninstalled it. To me it looks clear there is unbroken treeline the prvents exploration of that area and that was by intent of the design. as I read through other people playing it and have issues they all tend to cheat with the console to bypass things when stuck, instead of actually figuring it out the legit way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!