Looting unlootable items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by oudeis, Aug 12, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. oudeis

oudeis Member

It bugs me to no end when I can't loot the club or bow or whatever from the NPC that was just using it against me. Will I run into any game issues if I delete the OIF_NO_LOOT and OIF_NO_DISPLAY flags from NPC items in protos.tab?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yes you will. Those weapons are usually flagged NO_DISPLAY and NO_LOOT for a very good reason. PC's aren't meant to hold those models and it causes the game to CTD if you attempt to do so as the game can't figure out how the weapon model attaches to the PC model.

3. oudeis

oudeis Member

Ah, got it. I've actually no interest in trying to use any of the oversized items, but I would like to be able to sell them. :) Does the CTD occur wiith everything with those flags or just the bigger pieces? I can understand why a giant's club would be unweildable but it seems odd that I couldn't pick up something made for a Bugbear or Gnoll.

4. Allyx

It's less about whether the weapon is weildable, and more about the fact the engine can't attach the 2 different 3d models together, as those weapon models were not designed to attach to PC models.

The Drow masks and armors CAN attach to PC models, but since Temple+ adds Drow as a playable race they may seem a little redundant now.

You could add player usable versions of those weapons to the bugbears/giants/gnolls, maybe spawn the items in those creature's san_dying script so they don't try to use them in combat.

5. oudeis

oudeis Member

Thanks. I'll see if I can can stirke a balance between immersion and practicality. ;)

6. VNKylan271

VNKylan271 Member

When I was able to use temple plus, I frequently used to get the weapons via disarm, so as to sell, not to use.

I had no idea it was a ctd issue if you used them.

7. Allyx

I believe attempting to equip them is what causes the CTD, it has been a long while since I last played around with that sort of stuff though.

8. VNKylan271

VNKylan271 Member

Ok the creature specific weapons are to be avoided then.

Our Host!