Livonyia's 1.5.1 mod, please?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by 0rion79, Apr 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Livonya's 1.5.1 mod, please?

Liv, Allyx, now that you posted your latest fixes, I'm really messed up with installation: too many files that goes over the other.
    Could you make a deal and update the Liv's 1.5 file posted here so that it contains the small fixes relased in the last days, please?
    I'm really unable to play the game knowing that it is not "upgraded" to the last file relased!
    I kindly thanks you.
    Matt.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've seen a few posts bemoaning this issue, and I honestly don't know what all the hoopla's about. The only thread you need to go to is the aptly titled "Livonia's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip" thread. There you can find her 1.5 release. You can also find any mini-updates to 1.5 within the pages of that thread. So go along and download any new zip files you see her post. Install them in the order you find them. Play the game. End of story. Simple.

People act as though tracking this stuff down is some kind of major endeavor. C'mon, lets do our own little leg work and let Liv concentrate on 2.0.

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I second that! That's what I always do!

My recommendation would be: go ahead, download all stuff in the thread "Livonya's Mod 1.5" (in the order you find them, just as Gaear said) and give the mod a whirl! It's really worth it!

If you end up waiting for 1.5.1, 2.0 or whatever you may never play the game in the end :)

That's what I did: I played the game with 1.0, and then again (from the very beginning!) with 1.5. Once 2.0 is officially released I'll replay again with 2.0 and I'm sure I'll have fun once again.

But at the moment let Liv concentrate on the second version, I don't really think that combining all the stuff in the 1.5 thread into one 1.5.1 zip is really worth it, but that's just my opinion...

- Agetian

4. 0rion79

There are several files that goes one over the other: Liv's fixes and Allyx's fixes. I don't understand why they can't just update the existing download links, together with posting the updates. It would be easier now just to donwload the whole file, so that just to be sure to not miss anything.
    And anway, not all Liv's fixes are in the same thread: some are into "Black Jay" one and I don't know what files goes frist, that is obsolete and what is not. More, there are the latest hpdates to Allyx and I don't know if they are the same files updated from Liv or if they must still be integrated with her work: that's why I'm so confused (and not only me, looking at some other posts)!
    With no offence, but I'm quite supriced that Liv didn't update her existing main downlodable: what's the meaning of modding if mods are so scattered along the site that some players can't enjoy them?

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  5. Gaear

FYI, the Black Jay corrections appear in that thread and her Beta 1.5 thread. I believe that's the only case of zips existing outside her main thread. As far as Allyx's stuff goes, I think he's posting that for Liv's benefit. I wouldn't load in anything that isn't posted by Liv herself. I think she integrates Allyx's stuff where appropriate. Regarding order, just install the add-ons in the order in which Liv posts them.

6. 0rion79

From Liv 1.5 thread, we have in order:

First: Livonya 1.5 mod
    24th - 04: dlg + scr
    26th - 04: more quick fixes

scattered among the site:

in 17th - 04: romagdiary_book
    24th- 04: black Jays's Sheep
    " " Lareth
    04 - 26th: Juggernaut fix

as you may see, there are several files, not including Ally'x stuff.
    it is clear that there is nothing to complain if I have to install only files posted in Liv's 1.5 thread, but what about the others? They still looks important and ofthen have the same date of creation of the other files posted in the main thread, there are files that replaces each other and there is no clue about wich one goes over the other so please give a clue to me and to all the other persons that are asking the same. Or I kindly ask Liv to add all those fixes in her main downloadable 1.5, making a 1.5.1 or to group them into a zip file with a readme file with the order of installation.
    I understand that, with all folks here that are reporting bugs, updating the main downloadable is something that can't be done every 5 minutes, but still it would be a great help. Even because I see that there are new persons that are comming here in this forum, I wonder how many are just lurking and are here just to donwload files. Not everybody has the time or the will to read the forum and seek for small updates/patches for Co8 personal work.

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Okay, now people start complaining that Liv posts fixes all over the site. Jeez. How dare she?

Check out the dates when the five or six fixes since Beta 1.5 were posted and install them in the chronological order they were posted in (what's so difficult about that). Or else, just wait for her Beta 2.0. They'll be included.

I think Allyx is uploading his files mainly for Liv (and maybe he should do so in another thread, or via PM, to avoid confusion), and the good stuff will surely end up in Liv's mod too. Patience, my friend.

8. 0rion79

Morpheus, when you say that people start complaining that Liv posts fixes all over the site, you are misunderstanding my words. Liv is a real blessing for me and I can't but be happy that she is such a perfectionist! I just say that installing the files is not as intuitive as you want me to belive and that I don't understand - because of lack of knowledge - why she doesn't update the main downloadable. Really, without any scarcasm, is it so difficult or does it requires a so big loss of time?
    I wonder: did you note that some have the same date of posting and that they override each other? For example, Liv posted 2 updates the 24th/04: 2 files that contains udpates for dlg and scr folders and the updated for black jay. Both contains a copy of the teamster son dialogue but THERE IS NO WAY to know wich one goes over the other! The same for Lareth dialogues.
    The other files doesn't seem to have this kind of problem, as far as I may see.
    I posted in the previous post a list of all fixes relased only by Liv and only she may know what is the right set-up order, so please stop complaining about people that are complaining about the difficulty of the set-up of the small fixes, because there is no logical solution, as the sample above actually shows.
    And I suspect that some persons are still having troubles with dialogues because they did some mistake with the set-up of the last fixes, downloading all fixes at once, replaced files without looking of what they were replacing and are actually playing with obsolete files.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  9. Gaear

Dateline

Okay, I just went through every thread in this forum since Liv released 1.5 on 23 April 2005. Here's what I found:

LIVONIA'S BETA 1.5 MOD - Located in Livonya's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip thread. - Posted 23 April 2005 - Get it here .

DLG.ZIP, SCR.ZIP - Located in Livonya's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip thread. - Posted 24 April 2005 - Get them here and here .

MORE QUICK FIXES.ZIP - Located in Livonya's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip thread. - Posted 25 April 2005 - Get it here .

That's it.

The Black Jay fix is, as I stated above, a duplicate of the second fix in the list, so that's unneccesary.

It's clear from Liv's posts regarding the Juggernauts that she will include her prefered fix for this problem in 2.0, so I wouldn't download her temporary unpreferred fix either.

Regarding your April 17th entry . . . I don't see how that could be significant, as it predates 1.5.

Lastly, Orion, flames don't really work on this board. Dulcaoin put it rather nicely in his post in the "Turn-based RPGs" thread. We're comprised of a bunch of people who actually want to help one another as opposed to simply being "personalities" that are trying to maneuver for top spot in the pecking order. So please show Morpheus and the other vets on this board some respect.

Gaear

10. asimpkins

asimpkins Member

This thread has baffled me. And I felt like I had to speak up in Orion79's defense.

It seems to me that everything he's said has been taken the wrong way. It doesn't seem to me that he's been disrespectful or complaintive or launching flames. The fact is, to the inexperienced, gathering all these multiple patches and avoiding error is a daunting task. It would make it much easier for a large part of the community if recent fixes were compiled and made available in one place. I don't see how it is unreasonable or rude to make this suggestion. On the contrary, such feedback seems helpful.

This doesn't mean that we are ungrateful for the work that has been done, nor does it mean that we expect this suggestion to be put immediately into action. If it's simply too much of a hassle for the modders, then just say so. I don't think that anybody has been shouting demands. And, unless I really misread him, I believe that Orion79 would accept this answer and wait for the next update.

From my point of view... Orion79 has been flamed for daring to make a suggestion. Certainly, that's not the culture you want to create here?

(I think this touches on a larger issue. The work that is being done here is fantastic. But when I check in on this board every few months it's not very intuitive how to find the latest updates and bring myself up to speed on what is being done. I have to spend a large amount of time digging through multiple threads looking for the answer. And when I think I found the answer I still doubt myself and wonder if there's a more recent solution to be found elsewhere -- so I keep searching even more. I also wonder what side patches are available beyond the main CO8 patch and where they can be located. In short, if you don't read this message board everyday, it's very difficult to figure out what's available. Some sort of centralized, official solution would be very helpful. This is not a demand; it's a suggestion. If it's too much work, I'll make due with what's available. But I think it would be a big help to a lot of the community.)

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Let's call this one a misunderstanding and try to live up to the community ethos us new guys found here ;)

Remember that a lot of the work being done is in beta. The only 'finished' work is the one in the thread which Morpheus wrote. I'll use livonya's mod for an example; if you download the initial patches from the initial part of her thread then that should be enough for most people. The fixes posted elsewhere are not usually vital (and if they are, Livonya usually puts them in the first post or two of her threads). Please remember it's a beta process and this is how beta processes work - initial patch, hot fix, hot fix, next beta. If you are not up to looking through a thread for the one or two hotfixes for specific problems, don't worry about them. It's not a big issue :) If you have a specific bug, then check to see whether it has been reported and fixed, if it's not reported or fixed then report it to see if it can be fixed.

We all want to see the same thing, and the last thing we want to do is put unwelcome pressure on those people who have the skills and passion to give us more enjoyment from the game.

As a non-native English speaker myself, I know how sometimes misunderstandings can arise just from the way you write something even if the initial intention was not to give offence. Can we leave this one for the moment and just focus on trying to give the modders constructive feedback?

Zeb the n00b

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit annoyed in my post above. Sometimes my newly acquired "Mindflayer" title gets to me ... I certainly didn't mean to flame anyone. Peace!

Anyway, if someone's looking for a list of "official" mods & patches ... then this thread should make you happy. Or this thread, in the General Mod section. All the info you need.

Now, as for Liv's mod ... it's in constant change. I understand that this whole thing can be confusing, with zip files flying around everywhere, but you also have to understand that the fix files Liv has posted here are a service to the community, and not something that is to be taken for granted. It's easier (and quicker) to just upload whatever file has been changed than to redo the whole mod package and upload it to the ftp server. Personally, I'd prefer it if Liv spent her valuable time working on her mod rather than fiddling with daily updated WIP builds. For all those people who are worried that they might have missed one of the fixes ... either wait for the next "big" release, or just go ahead and start playing. Chances are you'll enjoy it all the same.

13. Gaear

Fair shout, everyone. I'll stand down.

Gaear

14. 0rion79

Asimpkins, thanks for defending me: you are definitively my advocate :D
    And yes, it was not my intention at all to be rude or ungrateful. Sometimes, even if the thought is fine, the words may be inappropriate so I apologize for that. No harm, no problem, as we say!

15. asimpkins

asimpkins Member

Hmmm... now I wish my post went a little more middle of the road. The last thing I wanted to do was appear to be handing out a scolding. I just didn't want the reality of how confusing all these patches are to the new user to be overlooked. But I fully understand the nature of this site and the work that is done here -- and that there's limited time that can be devoted to "customer service".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!