Livonya's mod

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ordinaryjones, May 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

Livonya,
    I'm asking this question in a new thread because the forum seems to be a bit of a jumble lately. There have been a lot of posts about changes/ additions people are making, and I'm wondering if all these things are going to be included in your mod. Although I appreciate some players want more powerful equipment, and stat changes to npcs, there are some who would prefer to play without these additions I think. I would like to suggest that there be two mods, if that isn't already the plan.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks of this as well.

2. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

Since you asked, here's what I think:

Livonya has put plenty of hours into her version of TOEE, including whatever items and modifications she judged appropriate to what she wanted. The results are amazing, at least. She's significantly improved on what I think is the best adaptation of D&D to a computer game, ever.

I'm all for people making mods, sharing ideas and scripts, etc., but asking Livonya to make a second version of her mod is ridiculous. After this theoretical second mod is put together, it will of course have to be tested and reworked approximately 10,000 times like the excellent one she's already done.

I'm quite happy with the work she's done, all on her own time and without any remuneration except our thanks, and asking her to continue with it is more than enough.

3. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

I'm not suggestion Livonya create two mods, I'm suggesting things like npc stat changes, uber weapons and various other things of that nature by created in another mod, by the people who are making the changes.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've been wondering about this myself but have kept quiet about it, since ultimately . . .

1. Liv will decide if she wants to add any outside changes to her mod, and what she wants to add. Despite what others may think, this is not something that will be decided by committee. It will be decided by Liv. That may make the recent jumble of stat and uber mods you mention largely irrelevant, unless . . .

2. They make it into the next Co8 mod. You can't force any of your work into the Co8 mod either though. I would guess that Co8's continuing ethos of sticking to the rules and making only corrections will mean that some of these new mods won't make it there either.

This doesn't mean people should give up though, imo. There's no reason there can't be Co8 4.0.0, Livonia 2.0, Orion79 1.0, Shiningted 100.3, and any other mod you can think of out there for those who want them to install. And if you want combinations, you're free to integrate anything into anything else, if you've got the time and skills.

My main worry lately has simply been that there are too many disjointed efforts currently under way out there. Somewhere along the line that's going to cause problems, if you want the combined efforts to be cohesive.

I think a sensible starting point would be for all modders to operate on the foundation of Atari 2 and Co8 3.0.4. Then, if you're hoping your mod will be tagged onto some other larger effort, you sure as hell better check with that other modder first and get their consent, as well as take the proper care to make sure what you're developing integrates properly and doesn't cause problems before releasing it to the community.

As Liv has recently lamented, its up to you and you alone to test, test, test.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Agree on (almost) all counts.

Yes, folks, please try your files before you post them. If a modified file makes ToEE crash, then something is foul in the world of Greyhawk.

By the way, I think budding modders should base their work on Liv's latest release rather than Co8 3.04 - at least I'm gonna base Co8 4.0 on Liv's work. Any objections?

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

No objections here, the work Livonya has put in has been as crucial as fixing the looting bug in my opinion.

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

To answer the original question.
    It depends on the mod. there are a bunch of people who make bugfixes, and when someone fixes a bug, other modders often use their fix (there is so much to do, there isn't much point redoing everything more then once).

However, most if not all power mods or cheezy extra plots mods will not make the cut.

This answer applies to ANY serious mod release, be it liv's, co8, or whathave you. (I don't even have to ask them really, its just how things work. people use bugfixes, while trainers and cheese mods die alone and neglected XP)

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, makes sense to me too. Brings up an interesting question: does anyone other than Rook Hudson still play ToEE without Liv's mod?

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yes...

...and no. I'm currently not playing a game; and I am waiting for Liv's finished version.

Hence, the dual responses. I don't want to get bored with it all, you see. So, I abstain.

For now...

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ive got no objections to it Morpheus to that at all and i do use Livs latest greatest work to base everything i do on.

im like Lord Spike im taking a break from the game after the last one waiting on mod 2.0 to come out before starting the next one but i wont play with out the upgrades no way

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I am also using Liv (and Allyx's) stuff as a base, but then my little 'mod' is an added quest, and I am specifically avoiding any controversial stuff - to the extent that if people install it and then DON'T initiate the dialogue to start the quest, the game will play identically to now and they won't even know it is there (no changes to HD or CR or anything else that would cause arguments. Not that there isn't room for improving those things).

Mind you I just heard an hour ago that i have to make changes to my doctoral thesis before they will award it, so i may be distracted - don't hold your breath! In fact forget i said anything and you may all just get a pleasant surprise some day. 8^)

Our Host!