List of Monk Flurry Weapons?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rudy, Feb 14, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Is there a complete list of what weapons the monk can flurry with in the game anywhere? (I did do a search before asking, but it's possible I missed it). I know it's not simply the list given in the manual, because it's mentioned in a few threads that the Tonfa can also be flurried. Are there any others besides the ones in the manual? That is, besides:

kama, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham and tonfa ?

The butterfly sword seems like it might qualify, but I'm not sure.

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, I got off my lazy ass (only figuratively) and decided to test this myself. A few console commands and several dozen dead Ah Fong's later:

In addition to the core ones listed in the manual, the following are usable with Flurry of Blows:

* Dao (Uses Butterfly Sword Proficiency) [light weapon; 1d8 slashing; 19-20]
    * Butterfly Sword [light weapon; 1d6 slashing; 19-20]
    * Rake (Uses Quarterstaff Proficiency) [2-handed; 1d8 bludgeoning AND piercing; 20x3]
    * War Fan [light weapon; 1d6 slashing; 20x3]
    * Tonfa [light weapon; 1d6 bludgeoning; 20x2]
    * Broom (Uses Quarterstaff Proficiency) [exactly like quarterstaff]

The following are confirmed not usable with flurry of blows:
    Naginata
    Shovel
    Monk Spade (I know, right? I guess that 18-20 crit range would be too brutal with flurry)
    Katar
    Tanto
    Tian
    Military Fork
    Tetsubo

The clear winners here for use with flurry are either the Rake, or the Dao.

The Rake is a quarterstaff that deals 1d8 damage, has a crit multiplier of 3, and deals two types of weapon damage, making it handy at bypassing most damage-type DR. As a two-handed weapon, you double the power attack bonus, even though you only get 1x strength bonus while flurrying. No exotic proficiency is needed, which is a big plus.

The Dao is a *light* weapon that deals 1d8 slashing, and has 19-20/x2. A dex monk dual-wielding these with finesse could be brutal. Unfortunately, you'd need to grab Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Butterfly Sword).

There is no reason to use the Butterfly Sword (the Dao is strictly superior), or the Broom (the rake is strictly superior), except for flavor. The War Fan may be preferred to the Dao if you like a x3 multiplier, instead of the 19-20 range, though the base damage decreases slightly. The Tonfa stinks, in my opinion, but is your only option if you want to flurry with a one-handed bludgeoning weapon. Thing is, you have your fists for that :p

3. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

Though not from Mr. fong.I use (made magical)great cleaver.I'll also give the monk two weapon abb.,cleave,and great cleave.:)

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I just tested it to be sure, and Great Cleaver does not work with Flurry of Blows (though it works fine with 2-weapon fighting)

5. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

The advantage tonfas have over fists is that they can be enchanted with stuff like Axiomatic or Flaming, adding some extra damage dice.

6. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I rather assume that anyone playing with an unarmed monk also has a druid making them Amulets of Mighty Fist. In this case, I think the additional damage dice for the fist itself, as well as the +5 versus the +3 of a crafted weapon, skew things in favor of the fist. Your mileage may vary.

Now, it may be that dual-wielding Tonfas with Two weapon fighting gets you even more attacks; that's another matter. If you're not doing two weapon fighting, though, the rake beats out tonfa hands down.

7. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Yeah the power of an unarmed Monk hinges on whether you have a Druid or not. Personally I prefer dual wielding weapons with my Monk since I usually multiclass her as a Rogue. Flurried Two-Weapon Sneak Attacks are wonderful <3

8. LionXavier

LionXavier Werelion Monk

And why not get the best of both worlds? You can leave unarmed the main hand and put a weapon on your off-hand; this way you can combine the benefits of the unarmed monk attacks (with its +5 from the Amulet of Mighty Fists and its good damage dice from monk levels) and a crafted weapon (with its extra damage dices fom its various enchantments), while still keeping the same amount of attacks.

In fact, it doesn't even need to be a special monk weapon. One thing you have to keep in mind regarding the combination of TWF and Flurry of Blows in ToEE is that only the main hand is taken into account for the Flurry. That means that you can simply use a special monk weapon (or none at all, to use the fist) on the main hand and put any other weapon the monk is competent with (more weapons if multiclassed) on the off-hand, gaining then the extra attacks from TWF. This way, you can benefit from weapon properties not present in monk weapons (for example, you can use a cleaver, which incidentaly belongs to the handaxe category, so a pure monk is competent with it) as part of your full attack action while still benefiting from the TWF/FoB combo. In this regard, I think that the only apparent advantage of using the same weapon in both hands: selecting a single Weapon Focus feat to gain +1 for both hands is somewhat negligible compared to the possibilities of different weapon combinations, at least in the long term.

9. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

What about Improved Critical?

What you mentioned though, does open up a whole new can on interesting ideas. Hmm... a Kukri would make an excellent secondary weapon.

10. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Improved Critical wouldn't stack with the Cleaver in particular, which is already keen, if I recall correctly.

Additionally, when considering the cost/benefit of unarmed versus armed, do not fail to take into account the loss of a neck slot, which can provide such crucial things to the monk as a Periapt of Wisdom +6, or a Periapt of Wound Closure.

11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Thanks folks- you've given me some great ideas to use for my monk aside from the spike chain...:thumbsup:

12. Skillhunter

Skillhunter Member

Hello Community,

I would like to know, to which weapon profiency the monk spade belongs to.

Or doesn't exist there any weapon abillity to use the Monk Spade without a penalty of -4 on attack rolls?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings!

13. vendur

vendur Member

Monk spade is its own proficiency in the exotic weapons list.

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe in TOEE it is an exotic weapon.

15. vendur

vendur Member

just for those reading this dreaming of a TWF monk build:

It's currently bugged to use flurry and TWF in that the first attack will have a -15 attached to it. Sometimes it will actually give you multiple -15 attacks. The only way to avoid this penalty seems to be to NOT use the full attack option, but to simply do the generic "auto attack" without ever touching the full attack button.

Then there is the other problem regarding the fact that no monk weapons are medium weight. This is a problem because when you are enlarged you will not be able to get the +2/+2 "light offhand weapon" bonus to your attacks using only monk weapons.

Our Host!