Lareth the Trader mod

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jan 5, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

A while back there was a mod for evil parties. You took Lareth along and then let him go (I think) and was captured by Burne and Rufus. You then had to free him and he ended up being a trader of magic. Is this mod still active with at least 5.5.0 versions? I ask as I am at the point of making the decision to kill him or take him along....

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's part of Livonya's mod, which is active in all modpacks but v3.

Consult the chart in this sticky thread to find out what's in each version of the modpack, in general.

3. blackfly

Thanks for the link Gaear. It is very helpful.

Curious as to why DH was (or is) left out of the future mods (such as 5.5.0). I realize it might of added extra XP or magic but I loved the fight at the end, especially with the proper company.

Speaking of Livonya's mods (which it seems Lareth needing rescue is still in) what ever happened to Liv? Retired, moved or faded away?

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

I addressed this a while back with a thread I am still bucking to be made a Sticky :)

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6974

Liv is MIA

5. Gaear

I've seen Livonya around the interwebs from time to time, so it's not like she's really 'missing' or feared deceased or anything. I believe the semi-official status would be no longer interested in ToEE.

6. blackfly

Sad but this is a fact of life. How many still play tic tac toe? Not to say the game is boring, but this game is, for some, a passion, some a game, others a diversion. Unfortunately the fact is: the game is 5 years old and I have had it on my hard drive for all that time. I do not know how to mod nor am I computer literate but if I were I would contribute. I think it is a shame Welkwood Bog sits there empty. This game needs the new content to keep people around, interested, excited. But the reality is it is an old game and some get bored easily. I would think frustrated too, as Atari does not allow the modders to do what they really want.

I myself am an old school AD+D'er and this game was beyond what I could of dreamt for as a kid. But it needs to stay alive as without modders it would die, quickly. Without new content the game gets old, stale real quick and that is why the attrition is seen.

I am not sure where the next year is going to take us. I will be here, even if an observer, but that does not mean there are many like me out there that care but cannot help to add to the game to keep it going.

Long live the fighters.......

7. Gaear

If you mean attrition of modders, maybe, but that's going to happen no matter what you do. The modders of Co8's first generation drifted away when ToEE was in it's heyday. If you mean attrition of players, I think you're just plain mistaken. According to ModDB's stats, between them and all the mirrors, 5.7.0 and 5.7.1 (combined) have been downloaded 1,929 times so far since 5.7.0's release on December 27, 9 days ago. That's not too shabby.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Wow, thats actually very good numbers :clap: Kudos Gaear!
    DH certainly did more than its fair share of unbalancing, so thats why it was initially shelved. Not too long ago, I made the decision, due to certain inconsistencies with other things happening in the mod, that it wouldn't be coming back. Sorry folks, but its had its day :shrug: It was only ever meant to be a diversion until Liv 2.0 came out (how long ago that seems!)

There'll still be grossly inappropriate new content in the form of the the Moathouse Respawn coming back one day though :)

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I remember seeing Liv on theWitcher forum sometime ago. I know she was a fan of the Witcher. The developers are very supportive of modders, unlike Atari. Yes, the game is over 5 years old and could use some new content, but if it wasn't for Co8, it probably wouldn't be around at all. Yeah, theWitcher has a modders toolset, but Co8 has done a fine job with no or little help. Big difference.

10. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

It is indeed true that ToEE is an old game. And playing with every possible party, trying different strategy's comes to an end after you've played it a certain number of times. Since ToEE I've been a big fan of games like it. The last 2 year's I've played Balder's gate I and II... It was great, nicely done (sometimes to long if you try to do all the quests) ... And it misses something that I do find in ToEE.

And thats the beautiful part of it, thanks to Co8, ToEE is bigger, better and far less bugged than the original. And that way playing it again after a year or so it becomes interresting again. To see what has been achieved and what will be achieved in the future. To see that all the hard work that's been done by the modders of Co8 is paying off. And that they are getting better in it...

And then again hardcore ToEE addict's will always be around!!!

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

Here, HERE! I heartily second that!

12. Gaear

I've always figured that was basically the reason for ToEE's longevity: there is no other game (besides KotB) like it. I suspect people will play it for years to come - longer than most games - because there simply are no other comprehensive turn-based D&D games. Even if the story is flat, the combat engine is the best there is.

13. blackfly

I have to tell you that this game, by far, is the longest ANY game has stayed on my harddrive; 5 years. The modders no doubt have contributed to the length of my playing.

Modders come and go for sure, but the point is: new content is a must to ensure the game stays fresh, new and exciting. Since Atari will not release the code to allow for FULL adaptation, I am only saying that new content is important and should not be taken lightly. I have played through this game dozens of times and any mod that makes me want to play again (like right now) is not only important but crucial to the game's survival. I am sure that at some point the game will die out but so long as new fresh ideas are put to use this will be staved off.

I realize modders do everything voluntarily, as I do with trail maintainence and support in the mountain bike community I am in so I understand it is not a full time job and cannot have the priority that a full time job has, but removing mod content should be the option of the PLAYER, not C08. If possible, it should be explored somehow. I have yet to try the Arena of Heros mod and found the DH quest a reason to travel through the Temple, rather than go only to the "meat".

I am aware of the ToTWC project and look forward to it, but if all the added mods are to be at the end of the game the mods will have to be balanced for at least a level 10 or 11 party as that is the strength the party will be.

14. blackfly

Could not agree more. I cannot believe that Troika actually got it right only to have Atari screw it up. Perhaps if the resolution of the characters was a bit finer, better detail... But the fact you cannot crack the main code to work with it is a shame.

Like I said, I have no idea how to mod the game other than getting into Protos to change some weapons and skins, but if I did I would probably be adding new content all the time. This is the only game I can think of that emulates what I envisioned as a kid playing the Original AD+D.

But then again, genius is hardly ever recoginised in its own time.

15. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Co8 should just make it official. Get together, throw in all of their nickels and dimes and buy the title and start developing all the old AD&D modules using the ToEE engine.

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

All of the other ad&d games would suffer serious losses of revenue because no one would be buying them. Why settle for nth best when you got the perfect game engine for ad&d?

Our Host!