KotB 1.0.0 wrap-up

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Aug 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is just a little thread to 'wrap up' 1.0.0 in light of the recent release of 1.0.1, and say somewhat about quo vadis from here.

Firstly, if you missed the news thread, and the banners, and the buttons... ;) 1.0.1 is out See the buttons / banners above or the news posts in THIS thread. The update to 1.0.1 comes in two forms:

- an add-on for people who already have 1.0.0, just follow the instructions to download and install, then activate it using the 'add-on packs' button on TFE-X.

- a full version of 1.0.1. (Again, activate it after installing).

Whether you update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 with the add-on, or install the full 1.0.1 version, you'll get the same experience, they have the same content. If you are not sure, just download the full version.

You WILL HAVE TO START A NEW GAME. Please do so.

As an incentive to start a new game, here's a tip: play as a bard. If you have never done so, play with a bard as a face character. They get to use Perform as a 'social skill' a couple of times, they get more jokes and class-specific dialogue than any other class, and there is even a bard-specific quest for lord Axer (though you probably won't finish it, since you need a second bard NPC to complete it, and who uses two bards?). Come to think of it, the Bard NPC has a line or two of dialogue that she only uses for other bards...

So, what's in 1.0.1? Well, complete changelog in the news thread HERE. That's a lot of changes! note the updated Game Guide and the Guide to Alchemy in the docs section.

What didn't we change? Well, a couple of things have to be mentioned:

- due to what can only be called a bureaucratic failure, the 'black rectangle' artistic ugliness at the start of the Lizardman Swamp map was not fixed (essentially, everyone thought someone else was fixing it, and none of us did :no: My fault as project leader.) That will be fixed for the next release.

- the 'summonings' problem, where summoned critters don't do much, hasn't been fixed. Sitra has identified it as being due to factional issues, mainly because this or that creature has been labelled a specific faction for a specific encounter and then thrown into combat against its own or other factions. Ideally summoned creatures won't be any faction and will be prepared to fight anything.

What needs to be done to fix this is basically completely separate monsters that occur in Summon spells from those that turn up in the game / as ACs / as REs. So its a lot of work to make sure we get them all. Haven't done that, but we will.

Since Pygmy and Gazra have gone to great lengths to identify the exact monsters that can be summoned, I will quickly go through and check which have factions and which don't, and shortly post a list of 'safe' monsters to summon that shouldn't cause problems. Until then, use common sense (summon obscure stuff like Archons rather than things you run into on every other RE map, like wolves) and try dropping them into the middle of your foes where even if they don't move or anything, they can still snap at adjacent foes or whatever.

- on balance; the 'modifier' for XP has been reduced (as per the Co8 modpack). That should have an impact, but otherwise there has been no great overhaul of balance, since that is quite the task and can't really be done piecemeal, but it is being kept in mind (though Lady Maeri has her CR lowered by 2 since you fight her at such a disadvantage). Also, re too much loot, I have reduced the value of Treacher's Glee massively (since I don't think you could get any sort of decent price for that in the Borderlands). Ideas on this in mind too, and will be implemented for the next release. keep giving feedback on balance by all means!

- when is the next release? Working on a 4-5 month time-frame with some really concrete milestones to hit, so around Christmas / January. More news about whats in it in the next couple of weeks.

Next, I just wanted to make one point - the CTD bug that plagued the Demo has been QUASHED. Gone. Finito. We had our own bad bugs with the Provisioner store and Billy, but good to see the back of that damn thing. Well done everyone involved in squishing it.

And finally, now we have a reasonably bug-free release, spread the word! Mention on all your preferred gaming forums that Keep on the Borderlands has been released and the bugs have been patched. :)

Our Host!